Possible Way to Clear "Useless" Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if this idea has been presented before. If it has, I guess this can just be locked up.

We all know about the endless influx of new members here and their asking of questions that have been answered so many times people can just quote their answers of every other thread they've answered every time before. Then there are the advertisements to deal with. And the threads offering payment to buy casts, etc. Well, what if a new section was created for these threads? One that new threads cannot be created in, just moved to. Where a thread like the ones above can just be answered and locked accordingly then disposed of into that general dump section. It will be an effective way to end the clutter that's been apparent everywhere here, allowing the actual constructive works of others to be seen rather than pushed back; the main downside is it requires more work than just replying and locking.

I understand that the mods have a lot on their plates now, that they may not all have the ability to move threads around, and that it is time consuming to make new sections of the forum. And yes, there are more issues yet with such a system. But I figured I'd throw the idea out for critique anyways. Comments, anyone?

Once the moderators know about those threads, they just delete them. It's like the thread was never there. Only thing is that the more experienced members (me included) need to be a little bit more liberal with the use of the report button.

They are. And yeah, it seems the report button is vastly under-utilized... Shouldn't be spammed, but I don'e even use it enough when it's warranted.

I actually remember a couple months ago someone said to just delete all of the threads that haven't been touched in 6 months, if they havent been used then, when will they be? i'd rather have these threads looked through for anything notable though... which is why i partly like your idea so we could go throught them and find any good pep files for example... i like this idea,but the way its goin, i think we could use more mods...

They are. And yeah, it seems the report button is vastly under-utilized... Shouldn't be spammed, but I don'e even use it enough when it's warranted.
Same here. But at your mentioning of spamming begs the question, are there even any rules about the report button, as far as extreme over-use goes?
I actually remember a couple months ago someone said to just delete all of the threads that haven't been touched in 6 months, if they havent been used then, when will they be? i'd rather have these threads looked through for anything notable though... which is why i partly like your idea so we could go throught them and find any good pep files for example... i like this idea,but the way its goin, i think we could use more mods...
I do believe what you are mentioning was intended only for WIP threads. So I don't think anything would really have been lost in the deletion of those threads, other than their OP's progress. The issue of mods has been debated for a while, and so have many other issues; I don't see much change going on in the near future, really.

I've been a lurker here for many years and I agree that there is a problem.

I propose three sections for content.

1.) General Tutorials broken down into subject/category and made clearly visible with pictures. No pictures or video, no sticky. If the tutorial is of good enough quality, members should be able to reproduce the steps within a few minutes of reading it. Products used should also be identified and maybe even some information on where to buy them. People generally ask about things like where they can buy Bondo alot when starting out.

2.) Pepakura file posts broken down by game/movie/category. This is basically to separate Halo from the other content the community makes. I've seen Iron Man, War Machine, Mass Effect, Warhammer 40K, and Star Wars all on this forum. They are awesome but they need to be logically divided into groups.

3.) The same general discussion layouts we already have for other topics.

I am an experienced web designer and CS major. I would totally be willing to help organized and post things for the 405th if the mods would allow it.

wow... you manged to make it in before the thread died...*clap* *clap* *clap*
bungie has a system for group forums for topics: simply every forum older than x age auto locks. preventing it from being 'necroed'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back