Prettyfloralbonnet's first MarkVI build finished

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few updates or rather things I wanted to point out before I consider this first build "finished". It's far from finished but any future changes will likely involve remaking pieces to solve issues such as leg mobility (shins, thighs) and scale issues (forearms, shoulders which were reduced by 10%).

In some of my photos above it's rather irritating to notice my face can be seen through the visor when a flash photo is taken. Since the issue is light reflecting off my face and back through the visor I considered tinting film but was concerned with it's ability to be shaped. Luckily, I found the following product at my local motorcycle supply store:

http://www.chrome-addiction.com/p-f...ield-amber-arai-271033-10197888.php?r=froogle

It's an anti-fog shield in an amber color in a standard size made to fit most popular visors. It's of course meant to go on the outside but it worked just fine backwards.
insidevisor2.jpg

You can see the difference between the amber-colored film and the regular HJC replacement visor. I tried numerous angles, lighting situations, camera flash on and off and it successfully fixed the see-through problem I was having. Although with the $20 cost I'd rather just go the double visor route on my next helmet.

In this next photo there are two things I wanted to point out:

foamvents.jpg

First, is the white stencil plastic I used to diffuse the LED lights. There was still a spotlight effect on a few of the panels but it's not really noticeable in photos. I found this frosted white plastic at our local hobby store: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=150244

Second, is the black foamies I used for the "vents" as some folks call them on the back. In my rush to complete the chest for the zombie walk I cut out those vents out of frustration since I couldn't seem to sand them to a detail that I liked. All I did was use the pepped pieces as a template and glued them together in layers and coated in Plastidip. It does look a tad tacky but it's still far better than the over-resined piece I had there before.

Finally, an inside shot of the back chest piece to give an idea of how I mounted most of my LED's. I built little boxes out of tongue depressers, drilled a 3/16" hole in the top and stuck the LED through. The LED's had just the right viewing angle so that at 3/4" (width of depressers) I had the most effective lighting spot over the diffuser panels. It too looks tacky but was an effective and fast way for mounting the 25+ LED's in the suit.
backlighting_full.jpg

Bought the LED's from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Knows-Ele...T2DE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321521853&sr=8-1

Unless I stumble across more photos from the Anniversary release these will likely be the last completed suit photos I post until I start to rebuild...
386735_10150399865369549_502564548_8415042_842945159_n.jpg

378149_10150399962004549_502564548_8415687_1292429114_n.jpg

I welcome any questions regarding how I solved one problem or another or explaining mistakes or lessons learned from this first suit.

Im working on a MK VI suit right now and I have a question what did you use to construct the under suit, that's the only thing I'm having difficulties figuring out but yours looks great.

Your suit really does look amazing! I think the proportions look spot on. I think if mobility is an issue, try getting the thighs to strap higher and maybe look at cutting a bit out on the inner thigh or redoing it with the foam mats. You also have almost the exact same chest undersuit as mine.

Edit: In those more recent photos it looks just fine though.

I have to say, this is the first time I have seen this thread and I am very impressed! Everything about it just looks fantastic, that is no lie. I love the way the torso looks specifically. To me, the torso is one of the most important pieces to get right. It seems like if you have a good looking torso and helmet, the rest doesn't matter. That's no problem for you though since it all looks great :) I'm especially impressed by the shotgun. Typically I look at the last page of the thread first and then go back and look through and when I saw the completed shotgun I just thought "that looks amazing" and was even more impressed when I saw it in progress. Keep up the good work, you're doing great. I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

-Poly

Back from Anime Expo and thought I'd throw up a couple pictures of changes and some shots of the suit taken from the con.

Old gloves versus new. Found a pair of cheap gloves on ebay ($4) with armored fingers, painted the sections green, and epoxied the handplates to the gloves
IMG_20120614_025722.jpg

Borrowing Longshot's idea for mounting the shotgun, I glued harddrive magnets to the back and added metal plates to the shotgun:
IMG_20120614_020615.jpg

High quality photo taken on my way back to shuttle at Anime Expo:
12.jpg

In the hall showing shotgun mounted on back and pistol:
9.jpg

4.jpg

Had to paint the shotgun white (and I still had to convince the lady to allow it) per convention rules and California Law
11.jpg

I really like how this Mark VI suit , its clean, not legendary detail, but its really good looking anyway , Q = what pepakura thigh files did you use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back