Primer As Paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOLTY TacoMan

Jr Member
Hey, i have a kind of a n00b question but is there any downsides to using only primer? I cant find a color of paint i like but i found a primer that is exactly what im looking for.

-Taco

Usually Primer is superbly dull and plain so i would go with the colour of primer BUT add battle damage to make it look somewhat realistic :)

Primers tend to get brittle after about a month and can be prone to cracking and breaking and won't be able to adhere or stick to any other paints you paint over it (after you see its breaking and try to fix it hehe) also primers don't have a resistant to water chemicals mixed in so it won't resist water vapors well.

Basically it will look good for....about a month...if you keep it outta the rain/humidity. best option would be to take your primer to Sherman Williams or I think even wall mart will mix a paint to match a color. then use the primer then paint over it and it should be fine I wouldn't suggest using just primer.

hope this helped.

Thanks everyone, i new of the dullness factor but i was un-aware of the brittleness, thanks Maxphobia. I suppose i will look around some more but the primer as paint was a last resort, glad i posted here first!

Thanks

-Taco

JOLTY TacoMan said:
Thanks everyone, i new of the dullness factor but i was un-aware of the brittleness, thanks Maxphobia. I suppose i will look around some more but the primer as paint was a last resort, glad i posted here first!

Thanks

-Taco

Maybe you can try putting a clear coat over it. They should change the brittle factor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Off-topic question, but in your avatar picture is that a Sean Bradley Helmet you're wearing?

I used primer on all of the black parts of my armor, and it's been over a month since I painted (the helmet at least) and I haven't had any problems with cracking at all.

I guess it would depend on the primer you used, but your best bet if you were going to use the primer for the color would be to use a clear coat or two over it like mac said. This would act as the paint would and keep it from being damaged and also should remove some of the dullness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back