Procedural Armour Texture Setup for Blender

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetAlexander

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S018
22/02/23: Version 2 is available, download at the end of the post!

I recently made a Belos Horan helmet from MCC that was to be used in a render of a spartan. To make the textures, and to make the final product customisable by the renderer, I used Blender's shader nodes to create a procedural armour texture that includes a base colour, edge chipping, dirt in crevices, as well as dirt and dents/chipping applied overall.
So far this is just set up for easy control of the colour, but all the other factors can be tweaked as well. Let me know if you want it set up so it's easier to adjust other factors too, without having to dive into the node setup!

TextureNodeRender.png

ArmourTextureRender1.png

ArmourTextureRender2.png

1660371954692.png

1660371077711.png

That's the node setup, but don't worry, the colour can be controlled with the panel below to the right:
1660371181177.png

1660371252081.png

To use this on your own model (I do recommend having a basic understanding of nodes in Blender):
In the Blender file that you want to use this in, go to File - Append, and find this Blender file (ArmourTextureDemo.blend). Once you double click on it, open up the "NodeTree" folder and select "Colours". It should be available for you to add in as a group node and connect to your node output. This texture node will only work properly in Cycles render engine.

22/02/23: Version 2 is now available! This version is not only grittier and more realistic, it also adds a bunch more controls for adjusting the texture, such as changing dirt, edge chipping and new scratches. You can download it here.

Things got a little more "out of hand" in the newest version, so here's your notice that this will likely have more of a performance impact than the first.
1677060073620.png

These files are under the Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) Creative Commons. That means you are able to remix and share the files, and use them commercially, as long as I am credited as the creator.

Last edited:
Wild, could there be a way to implement this along with the already existing diffuse and Normal maps to really give it a PBR 3 feel?
You can connect normal map nodes to bump nodes (which is what the setup uses), so hopefully it'd stack with normal maps! With diffuse, it should be a case of connecting an image to the base colour instead.
1660610067642.png

1660610231350.png

I've updated the texture node! The additions can be found in the first post as well as in this video here (don't you LOVE those royalty free soundtracks?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back