Production Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceTray

Jr Member
Well, for anyone who has read a few of my other topics, you might be aware that we're doing a movie this summer, and most likely fall, because somethings take a little time to do.

Although, some things require some extra help, and so I'm reaching out to the 405th community.

Since for the movie we wanted to stray from Master Chief, all main roles are permutationed spartans. CQB was the choice selected. Because you know, Close Quaters Battle seemed to fit within our plot a little bit.

However, there are complications with the armor.
As everyone knows, the CQB helmet has quiet the strange visor, and so does the ODST basically. We're looking for some ways to put visors in these helmets, and not have them look wonky, or atleast try to not have that. I believe someone brought up tinting roll, which was clever, kudos, other suggestions are warmly welcomed.

Also for the neck, on ODST and Spartans, it needs to be covered, and I was wondering what can be used to cover? We aren't using underarmor, when you get a few guys wearing it, it becomes pricey, but wearing modified clothing works well when done properly, however, it does not cover the neck.

The introduction portion of the movie is based on marines. Its clear Vrogy has the marine armor down pat for the most part, and we egerly await the release of it, to start the build. At the same time, we have a request for Vrogy, hoping this gets read;
There is a minor permutation that our developer is working on, however, we would prefer the files be scaled properly to the armor being made, so if we can make arrangements for that, it would be appriciated.
Side note, this is the permutation,
command01mt3.jpg

Hes making the chest block, and the helmet, which would appear to be losely based off the Halo 2 ODST helmet.
Reaching to 405th, once the permutation file is complete, we would like for someone here to unfold it, and it will be released here aswell.
The marines are wearing standard BDU clothing under the armor, that was purchased for a movie we did a while ago.

Three weapons are being used, or four, depends on how much work gets done. The assault rifle, the magnum, the spartan laser, and the possability of the shotgun.
The shotgun is a little complicated, because it was designed a way that we can't really modify the slider for cocking the gun, to work in realtime, which means some happy fun modding of an older prop.

The assault rifle needs the 405th D:
They are rather large weapons, and by the size, you would assume, they should be heavy, some suggestions have been made to increase weight, but we're looking for more aswell, because you can never have too many good suggestions.
As much as some people like expanding foam, we dont =] Its foam, its not really heavy. =P
However we've also been looking into trying to get some already made assualt rifles to use, to cut down the work load, because there are only two to three people working, and its more a less tedious, because not everyone can work constantly.
So if you've for some reason ever mass produced some assualt rifles, that look good, give us a hollar. =P

Magnum?
What? Where? We sure haven't started making them yet.
Short end of it is, only two exist in the movie, and as far as the script predicts, only one is ever used, at the very beginning. So.. if anyone has two laying around that they wouldn't mind lending out, contact me. =P

Moulding isn't fun!
Maybe for you, but not me. >_>
Because we see it manditory to try and cut down the work load on costumes and props, we would like to mass produce the props, especially the ODST armor parts. Fortunatly for us, theyre small, quick to make, and easy to detail, thank you SKG. =D
The mark VI armor is.. well, I'd like to try and make a mould for it, but its unlikely I'll be able to using POP.
The reason I find moulding terrible, is because I'm unintelligent and don't know what to fill the mould with, or how. If anyone has a vast knowledge of doing moulds, please PM me if you have time, and care to have a chat with me about a lot involving it. Provided you can bare with remotly idiotic questions.

Shoes, and spartan shoes.
The marines and ODST are wearing normal military boots that we have from an older project, but what about the poor spartans?
We realise we have to create the MJOLNIR armor boots, but how can we make them strong enough to withstand constantly weird movement on cement? The majority of the filming location is actually a large cemented area, and its below ground level, so on each side are large inclines made of cement, then it proceeds to tunnels, which are filled with sludge, mud, and other disgusting things. And the rest is remote areas, that are to pro to describe.
However, we don't see a normal fiberglass, bondo'd MJOLNIR armor shoe withstanding all that madness, so we're looking for everyones thoughts on that, because I'm stumped.

We would also like to say that we're going to be supporting the 405th, but we need a large scale image of the 405th's logo, because its going to be roughly spray painted onto all the armor of Marines, ODST and the two Spartans. We believe in promotion. =P

I also want to say I found out today that I was accepted to the college for the graphic design course come september. Unrelated, but pro.

As we go through the progress, we run into questions, that I will definitly end up asking here.

We're looking for any support in any way from almost anyone, and would appriciate all input that anyone has.
So, more questions are on their way, give it time.

Thanks in advance to anyones replies, suggestions and input.

sorry if this is off-topic but i saw u say..you have a perm for the marines...to clarify..is it ok to modify the armors and helmets?....im a little fuzy on the whole perm issue...as long as it looks like it belongs in halo somewhere its valid?..or is it just use existing halo armors and helmets to make new sets?...id appreciate someone explaining this to me because if modifiing existing armor or..helmets is ok to do...id really like to add some stuff to this scout helmet its ugly lol..
thanks in advance..and sorry im a noob so i couldnt help ya w any technical stuff.

Gnr8tnXXX:
The permutation we're doing is directly from Halo 3.
Its in my knowledge that armor permutation is customization and creativity. If you can imagine it, and you can do it, by all means, go for it. Permutations have no manditory rules, they're just different armor, to spice things up a little bit, even make some things look better. =P
(In Halo it was sometihng for people to achieve, but in costuming, its pure creativity if someone wishes to design their own)

LastSpartan:

Thanks for the suggestion.

For the weight of the AR, Bondo/mud is pretty heavy. But I don,t see why the gun needs to be heavy. Just act like it is.

For the boots, use like rain boots painted and put them under the shins :p

LastSpartan:
The weight is a key feature, because when marines die on cement or the other hard surfaces, its hard to say "wow, those rifles look heavy" when they almost flitter to the ground and make a soft little thud, lol. A prolongued scene takes place in a long, dark dreary tunnel, even the slightest noise echos with strenght, so the sound of a soldier dropping his heavy weapon needs to be heard, and echo.
True I could add it in post production, but the realism is something we want to stick to, so weighting them down is something we want.

So, lets approximate here, with bondo/mud, whats the assumed weight of the assault rifle? =P

Spartan117x:

Thanks, it may work and be cost effective. However, wearing the suits will increase body temperature a lot, our summers are pretty relentless, but its worth a try if nothing else. Thanks. =P

Depends how you use it. If you put it inside or outside. But if you put it outside, the shock could shatter the bondo.

Or you could make like a stunt AR fulled with sand. Just drop some white glue in the sand, and put the sand in the gun. Now you got weight ;)

I have an idea for the spartan boot, but it will only work if you decide to mold the armor.

Smooth-on, which is where the majority of the community buys molding supplies, sells types of foams that can be used to cast with, I'm not sure exactly which one you would need, so it can with stand a lot of movement. Check it out here.

LastSpartan:
It'll be fiberglassed, and hopefully moulded, because making the AR is a real pain. =P

gamerguy55:
Moulding is still iffy, unless I can get someone to give me a personal 101 lesson on what to do and how, otherwise I'm going by manufacturing guidelines. =P
It might work, I'm unsure. Thanks for the URL though.

I also though I would just say that we give credit where its due.
If someone lends props, gives ideas, suggestions, helps out, we credit those who deserve it.

IceTray said:
Gnr8tnXXX:
The permutation we're doing is directly from Halo 3.
Its in my knowledge that armor permutation is customization and creativity. If you can imagine it, and you can do it, by all means, go for it. Permutations have no manditory rules, they're just different armor, to spice things up a little bit, even make some things look better. =P
(In Halo it was sometihng for people to achieve, but in costuming, its pure creativity if someone wishes to design their own)

LastSpartan:

Thanks for the suggestion.

awsome thanks for the reply...thats question has been weighing heavily on my mind..so thanks for clearing that up....now i can pimp my gear wohoooo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back