Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty 714

I don't know if there is already a thread asking about this but I couldn't find one. What are the rules for carrying a fake gun in public. Not to a specific place or a con or something just, you know, around. Example: if I wanted to make a fan film at, let's say, a park, and I wanted to bring a prop gun (that doesn't shoot anything) with me, what kind of rules would there be about like orange bands and barrel plugs that need to be on my gun so I don't get shot or something because someone thinks its a real gun and calls the police. Wherever I look all I find is basically this answer: "orange perminant barrel plug idk it kinda changes sometimes" which is very vague. Also nowhere can I find an answer for the regulations that also has a picture of what it should look like. Someone heeeeeeelp meeeeeee! I don't wanna get shot! ;)

If you are ever going to be out in public with your Prop Weapon, you need to have an Orange Tip, if not an Orange Tip and an Orange Barrel Plug. It doesn't matter if their is a local law or ordnance that specifically says you have to, you should do it anyway.

Better yet, your prop weapon should be stashed away inside your armor tub or another duffel bag like item at all times you are in public while transporting to an event.

Quite frankly, you shouldn't be carrying your replica weapon just "Around" anyway. You should only take it somewhere where you should have it, like a pre-arranged event or a Con. If you wanted to make a Fan Film at a Park, you should clear your appearance in costuming and filming at the Park with the Parks Department covering that location, and once you have obtained permission you should then also notify local Law Enforcement on their non-emergency number that you will be filming something in the Park with the Parks explicit Permission.

I don't know if there is already a thread asking about this but I couldn't find one. What are the rules for carrying a fake gun in public. Not to a specific place or a con or something just, you know, around. Example: if I wanted to make a fan film at, let's say, a park, and I wanted to bring a prop gun (that doesn't shoot anything) with me, what kind of rules would there be about like orange bands and barrel plugs that need to be on my gun so I don't get shot or something because someone thinks its a real gun and calls the police. Wherever I look all I find is basically this answer: "orange perminant barrel plug idk it kinda changes sometimes" which is very vague. Also nowhere can I find an answer for the regulations that also has a picture of what it should look like. Someone heeeeeeelp meeeeeee! I don't wanna get shot! ;)
All politics aside, it depends on where you live.

US law requires a one inch orange flash/tape for toys and props.

Canadian law does not require the orange flash but some conventions request it for sake of simplicity. The main law to be considered is with respect to "reasonable dimensional accuracy to real world firearms", so basically don't build a scale real world weapon and take it around with you.

European law does not require the orange flash and has a few other rules for toys, replicas and deactivated collectors items.

NYC law requires any prop theatrical weapon (Blank firing or no firing at all) to have a permit to use/display in public especially if there is a line of sight to a private domicile (Home or apartment building). Also notification to the mayor's office of where you are doing any picture taking/filming (Permits might be needed as well) and you might even need police presence. As far as a non real world weapon goes........make sure its orange tipped and before you go out, just check w/ your local law enforcement agency. You will avoid a lot of headaches if you just make a phone call ahead of time.

As most things have already been said, i'd like to add a tip for you if you are doing filming or a photoshoot outdoor. if you can, avoid parks and other open public areas, try to find people you know or one of your friends know to have persission to film on their property (like i did for an oncoming halo short of mine) warn the near neighboors that such event will happen, and as mentioned, warn the local police that youll be filming. also, even if you can have your fake weapon without a visible orange tip, ALWAYS have one! make it removable if you want, so as soon as your take it done, you place it back on, same for pictures. if you cant remove it due to local laws, it is quite easy to change the color of a specific area of a picture in photoshop, but it it is a lot harder with moving images! lastly always store away your props in bins or bags! Have fun and be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back