Prop Medieval Weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixMercenary

So, as of late, I’ve been looking at videos and images themed around medieval weapons and I think I could make myself prop weapons for conventions. There’s just one problem: I have no idea what to do.

I want to make a two handed longsword or a poleaxe. What materials would hold their shape best while still being con friendly? What materials would be the sturdiest while still being cost effective?

Any and all help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you for your time!

EVA foam is a good choice for safe prop making. It holds it shape very well, and can be even further helped by adding a small wooden dowel rod in the blade and handle. Easy to work with, easy to paint, just about easy in all categories. If you want you could also buy thicker, longer dowel rods and use them as the handle and just add EVA foam on the end, especially the case for the poleaxe. I'll include a picture below for reference of the God of War axe I made this year completely out of foam and a dowel rod.
39169657_2511086425571839_2784476256329007104_o.jpg

EVA foam is a good choice for safe prop making. It holds it shape very well, and can be even further helped by adding a small wooden dowel rod in the blade and handle. Easy to work with, easy to paint, just about easy in all categories. If you want you could also buy thicker, longer dowel rods and use them as the handle and just add EVA foam on the end, especially the case for the poleaxe. I'll include a picture below for reference of the God of War axe I made this year completely out of foam and a dowel rod.
View attachment 265831

That’s good to know. Would I measure the area I want the blade to be, put the rods in, then form the edge on it? Like, with your axe head, did you put dowel rods into it to help keep its shape, then form the edge?

I'm a sucker for EVA coated in Worbla for thin blade forms that need a metal finish.
DSC_0743.JPG

For handles, dowels are great depending on the thickness and curvature. PVC can be heated (with proper safety equipment) to form some pretty fantastic shapes that'd be almost impossible with a wooden dowel.

I would recommend the same process PunishedProps used in their skyrim weapons. Follow their instructions and you'll be perfectly set.

These guys make great videos and are good at explaining things.

You can totally make your own patterns with this same technique.

I would recommend the same process PunishedProps used in their skyrim weapons. Follow their instructions and you'll be perfectly set.

These guys make great videos and are good at explaining things.

You can totally make your own patterns with this same technique.

I’ll be sure to check that out. Thanks a bunch!

I’ll be sure to check that out. Thanks a bunch!
You can even watch the videos oden makes did on a few swords. His machetes and others were simple and easy done, but can still have tons of detail added. He also used a golf club for a base... punished props also made a good video on a shield if you want to look at that

Update! After getting some tips, watching videos, researching actual construction, and the like, I’ve decided I’m going to do the poleaxe first.

Plan is that its shaft, the main body of the weapon, is going to be 1in diameter pvc as that will allow me to secure parts to the shaft easier. The shaft itself is going to be 6-6.5ft long with a 1ft long axe face. The base of the shaft will have a point and the opposite side to the axe blade will have what I’m calling a strike face since I can’t find the actual terminology.
The spike at the top of the shaft will extend another 1-1.5ft upward.

This is gonna be a very tall boi but I’m looking forward to it. After I get the materials and whatnot, I’ll start experimenting with looks and how ornate it will or won’t be.

Update! After getting some tips, watching videos, researching actual construction, and the like, I’ve decided I’m going to do the poleaxe first.

Plan is that its shaft, the main body of the weapon, is going to be 1in diameter pvc as that will allow me to secure parts to the shaft easier. The shaft itself is going to be 6-6.5ft long with a 1ft long axe face. The base of the shaft will have a point and the opposite side to the axe blade will have what I’m calling a strike face since I can’t find the actual terminology.
The spike at the top of the shaft will extend another 1-1.5ft upward.

This is gonna be a very tall boi but I’m looking forward to it. After I get the materials and whatnot, I’ll start experimenting with looks and how ornate it will or won’t be.
Just a word of warning on the use of PVC, that much length will be extremely flexible. Yes it is cheap and easy to work with but nobody likes limp and floppy props.

Just a word of warning on the use of PVC, that much length will be extremely flexible. Yes it is cheap and easy to work with but nobody likes limp and floppy props.

This. As a LARPer as well, whip is a constant concern with longer polearms; they can look epic, but they'll flex if you swing them around. You might be able to mitigate this some with pipe insulation foam over the PVC core to help provide support, but that could throw the proportions of the prop off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back