Question about adhesives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloxxer

Hello all, I'm currently working on a full 3D printed suit (will post a thread soon), and I was wondering what a good adhesive would be to use for putting my pieces of armor together. I was thinking of using some super glue on the helmet, but I'm not too sure if I would trust super glue to hold my chest piece together.

Hello all, I'm currently working on a full 3D printed suit (will post a thread soon), and I was wondering what a good adhesive would be to use for putting my pieces of armor together. I was thinking of using some super glue on the helmet, but I'm not too sure if I would trust super glue to hold my chest piece together.
What filament are you using? If it's not ABS, you can use super glue to join it together, then weld the seams together with extra filament. You can also fibreglass the back of the armour for even more strength.

I used super glue as the base adhesive for my armor with good results. I also used contact cement and hot glue both with decent results. With the super glue I would at least suggest doing the filament weld technique after words on the back.

I’ve been using JB Weld Plastic Bonder....... it’s a high strength structural adhesive. I’m in the middle of printing out something and so far I’ve dropped it twice and the thin sections of the print snapped apart but the glue points all held nice and tight.

I use PLA+ and a combination of either super glue and print welding for some components with JB weld epoxy for others

I also highly recommend checking out This to That (Glue Advice) , as its a great source to cross reference your materials and determine all your adhesion options. I agree though and enjoy the JB Weld Plastic Bonder. With it being a thermal chemical reaction it makes a efficient bond between parts that potential rough sanding sessions would not split in as they basically melt together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back