Question about Smooth-On products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering from all you smooth on users. Do the liquid plastics smell as bad as resin? I am trying to find a liquid plastic that does not have the strong fumes such as Polyester resin.

Thanks in advance.

Alright thanks that answers my question, now another question I have is how bad does it smell. This is all for my personal health btw. I wear a respirator and all but im not sure if even respirators block things out 100%

I highly recommend http://www.jgreer.com/index.htm Way over smooth-on, TAP, or Poly-tech... His stuff is cheaper, excellent quality ( I've been using him exscusively for the past 3 years), & he usualy ships the next day. His prices WITH shipping usualy costs less than other places retail price alone...

His casting resin is basicly oderless, cure to an off-white, very stable, good set time, & durable. His silicone's catylist is purple & smells like grape bubblegum... LOL I use those as well as the silicone 2-part putty, oils, & other products... Try him, you won't be dissappointed. He also sells fiberglass cloth, resins, 2-part pour foam... Everything you need for armor/prop making.

Wolf

herogear said:
I highly recommend http://www.jgreer.com/index.htm Way over smooth-on, TAP, or Poly-tech... His stuff is cheaper, excellent quality ( I've been using him exscusively for the past 3 years), & he usualy ships the next day. His prices WITH shipping usualy costs less than other places retail price alone...

His casting resin is basicly oderless, cure to an off-white, very stable, good set time, & durable. His silicone's catylist is purple & smells like grape bubblegum... LOL I use those as well as the silicone 2-part putty, oils, & other products... Try him, you won't be dissappointed. He also sells fiberglass cloth, resins, 2-part pour foam... Everything you need for armor/prop making.
Wolf
that sounds too good to be true! I'm usually a TAP fan but this sounds way better

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Hell yea man that is way cheaper than smooth-on. But I still need to know how much odorless it is. Because odorless to some people might not be the same as mine. Its just like taste, someone might find something really sweet while if another person tasted the same thing wouldnt think the same.

herogear, does this guy have any brush on silicone. if he does could you pm me a link

last thing i will post that doesn't have anything to do with this :p

He really is! I live about 20 minutes from the TAP store, & I still order from California... He's that much better. TAP has always been over priced, & the few times I've worked with their resin, I've been less than happy. I consider Alumilite better than them... My local hobby shop stocks it, so I've had to use it in emergencies... My molds & pasts usualy cost me 4 - 5 times as much as when I use Greer's, & the molds don't last as long. The fast cure mold silicones have a much shorter use-life than regular blue/purple catylized RTV's... They are brittle, tear easily, & I've even had some go 'gooey' or bond to the casting, ruining both casting & mold.

Wolf

This is an absolutely amazing link you gave us. I am definately ordering this. Alumilite was my first choice before I found smooth on and TAP, however with your experience Ill have to go with this guy. its too good to be true.

His casting resin really is quite oderless... It has a slight 'WD40' type smell if you put your nose right in it, but otherwise you won't even notice it.

He has additives for the silicones, for thickening, speed cure, etc... I use the silicone oil for thinning my mold mixes, it increases thier lifespan, & maintains the release properties... I've been using this stuff so long I seldom measure silicone & catylyst any more. I usualy use 'butter tubs' for mixing, so I just fill one up about 3/4 of the way with silicone, give it about an 1/8" of oil, then another 1/8" of catylyst. Once you get some practice, you'll be able to eyeball it as well... You can speed up your cure times by using more of the regular catylist... When I've had a rush job, I've used about a 75% silicone / 25% catylist ratio, & it sets in under 2 hours. I've even managed to do a big mold that cured in 30 minutes using a 70/30 mix, & 2 years later it still produces good castings. It's always worth it to roder an extra pint if catylist for 14 bucks... I usualy need it... LOL ;)

Wolf

smooth on price for 1 gallon of rebound 25 brushable silicone:158$
greers:112$

smoothon smoothcast casting urethane 1gallon: 73$!
greers: 2 GALLONS FOR 72!!!

Wow thank you so much for all the help I apreciate it. I dont take my health for granted which is why I want to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back