Question about visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

I'm new to this armor thing and I am getting materials tommorow but I need to know is the HJC visor
big enough to fit the helmet?

I read that the visor when foulded on the helmet shoudn't be cut for support and stuff so when do i cut it and add the real visor?

thanks for helping

I added my paper visor on, just cut it after resining with a dremel it comes out clean and nice, it does give support when you resin and fiberglass, yes the HJC visor is big enough, you can cut it, but dont need to unless it's way too big for your scale. You could also cut it for the dual visor design.

Which Model of Visor did you use?

HJC makes several diferent models, My understanding is most people are useing the AC-12 with the Gold mirror finish.

There is also a HJ-07 and HJ-09 that look like they may work.

How much did you pay? there are several on ebay for $25 to $35 but shipping to Canada is about $15.

Localy I found one at a Motorcycle dealer for $59.00 OUCH! I was hoping to pay less but it looks like I will have to pay about $50.00 either way.

Wombat.

AoBfrost said:
I added my paper visor on, just cut it after resining with a dremel it comes out clean and nice, it does give support when you resin and fiberglass, yes the HJC visor is big enough, you can cut it, but dont need to unless it's way too big for your scale. You could also cut it for the dual visor design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the HJC that fits the AC-12, 2 of them for about $66 total shipped (I did the dual visor bit). I cut the ends off of them so they fit in the helmet without bumping into my temples.

one more question:

When you put the fiberglass cloth inside the helmet do you have to cut out a part for the space where the visor is?

Don't fiberglass the paper visor. It's okay if you overlap it some while you're glassing the rest of the helmet, but cutting it out afterwards is a lot harder if it's 100% covered.

Boomer said:
Don't fiberglass the paper visor. It's okay if you overlap it some while you're glassing the rest of the helmet, but cutting it out afterwards is a lot harder if it's 100% covered.

The way I did it, I fiberglassed the back of the visor, then cut it out with a dremel after bondo'ing the outside of it. Then, I shaed the visor using plexi-glass and the oven, and used a bronzeish car window tint for the color.

4ng31 said:
The way I did it, I fiberglassed the back of the visor, then cut it out with a dremel after bondo'ing the outside of it. Then, I shaed the visor using plexi-glass and the oven, and used a bronzeish car window tint for the color.

I was thinking of trying something similar. I found some bronze window tint at Home depot and I know where I can get some plexiglas.

How hot was the oven? can you explain the procedure you used to form the shape?

Thanks in advence.

Wombat.

wombat6926 said:
I was thinking of trying something similar. I found some bronze window tint at Home depot and I know where I can get some plexiglas.

How hot was the oven? can you explain the procedure you used to form the shape?

Thanks in advence.

Wombat.

Use the pre-heat setting, and set it to 250 degrees.

Make sure you have a cookie sheet or something of the like to put it on, as you don't want it touching bare metal (holes, bubbles, etc...). Then place something to set the visor on (a bowl, plate, etc...) and put the plexi on top of it. Put it in the oven for 5-6 minutes (no more). Remove, and while wearing gloves, do any final shaping that the piece will need.

I would buy an 8x10 sheet of plexi first to try on something, as its only like a buck or two at Lowes.

I'm actually thinking of using some of the plastic off of a coke bottle and painting it with some transparent gold paint and adding the other features of the visor later, and hey, if you screw it up, it will only cost at the most $2.00 instead of $60.00, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back