Question on putting on armor and solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuskyChode

So, I have pretty wide hands and comparatively narrow wrists, so the conventional sleeve technique wouldn't work for me as and forearm I make what would comfortably slide my hand through would be too wide for my wrist. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any input on how to solve this problem?

You cpuld make it with a hinge. Cut it into two parts. Then use straps for example to fasten them. Maybe a hatch on top of the to conceal it.

Something like that is used a lot in sean bradleys odst armor on the shins

Well, you could hinge it....but if you are building w/ foam, not necessary. Just build it to you specific body frame and then put a slice on the inner part of the piece. You can then slip it on and use a buckle, clasp or magnet to hold it closed. Any of these methods would work depending on what type of material you are using and what style armor you are building. Remember, you are building this for you and your body. The templates are generic, and as such, can be sized larger or smaller. There is no reason you have to keep them at the default width size. Adjusting to your body is part of the building process. Build by you, for you, to fit you. Good luck and happy building.

So, I have pretty wide hands and comparatively narrow wrists, so the conventional sleeve technique wouldn't work for me as and forearm I make what would comfortably slide my hand through would be too wide for my wrist. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have any input on how to solve this problem?

If it's the sliding that you're concerned about you can always use a more compressible foam like upholstery foam inside at the wrist to pad and make sure nothing slips, kind of like a gasket.

Making a hinge could work but you have to make sure that the clasp is strong. I have a PipBoy3000 that's hinged and due to being in a hot costume and walking around all day my arm swells and when I bend my arm it flexes muscles which makes the PipBoy pop open. You want things to be tight fitting but you need to consider how your body moves and what that'll do to the required shapes of your armour pieces to accommodate movement. Patterns are awesome but as Dirtdives says, they're by no means one size fits all and you'll have to tinker to get them to work for you most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back