[Question] What is the state of tech. in cosplay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomRanger

DMO, Armory, and Forum Support
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S063
I'm building my first suit soon, and considering I'm a software engineer that dabbles in computer engineering and studies AI, I was wondering what tech features other people have already added into their suits. I'd like my suit to be an immersive experience for both the audience and the wearer. I currently plan on adding some things like a HUD, energy shields, 'AI', comms, and heat regulation (if it proves to be an issue). However, if someone has already done amazing things, I'd prefer to contribute to existing work that way the technology contributes moving forward rather than taking the same first steps over and over.

Also, if you have ideas of tech that could be cool to add in/develop I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
I'm building my first suit soon, and considering I'm a software engineer that dabbles in computer engineering and studies AI, I was wondering what tech features other people have already added into their suits. I'd like my suit to be an immersive experience for both the audience and the wearer. I currently plan on adding some things like a HUD, energy shields, 'AI', comms, and heat regulation (if it proves to be an issue). However, if someone has already done amazing things, I'd prefer to contribute to existing work that way the technology contributes moving forward rather than taking the same first steps over and over.

Also, if you have ideas of tech that could be cool to add in/develop I'd love to hear it.

Computer engineering junkie checking in. I have animated LEDs in my armour ability, speaker/soundboard in my tactical pad and then a microphone connected to a personal voice amp that is tucked into my chest piece. There's a pair of cooling fans in the bucket to keep condensation down but heating is usually the issue up here in the Great White North.

Welcome to the party tech friend!

Also, if anyone has suggestions for the best way to implement a HUD, I'm all ears. I have some, but none of them are great.

HUDs are awesome, and they've been tried before, but I'm not sure anyone has pulled one off yet. At least I've never seen a working one.

I'm more in the mechanical engineering side of things here but I guess it would work here hahaha. In my older posts and until today I'm currently working on a halo exosuit. The one you'll see here is a passive exoskeleton, although I have worked with pneumatics and motors, however I will probs never post those here haha.

Im no techie but I had an idea to make a light up hud, I'm sure its been thought of before but to laser engrave the lines into a flat sheet of acrylic, then shape it and add LEDs around the edge so they shine through the plastic to make the lines and details light up. then have your lights animate from solid blue to flashing red to show depleted shields. Pretty simple I think. its what I want to do with my helmet once Ive finished my armor.

HUDs are awesome, and they've been tried before, but I'm not sure anyone has pulled one off yet. At least I've never seen a working one.

On the subject of HUDs, the setup I've been working on is more or less a version of google glass. Using the visor itself as the screen. Its really coming down to two things for me, getting the focal length correct, and ensuring the interior surface of the visor is smooth enough to accept an image without distortion. As far as controlling it goes, I'm sticking a button on the helmet which triggers the microphone, the rest of the setup is pretty well laid out in various youtube tutorials.

My main claim to fame however would have to be my integrated under-suit cooling. I'm still working out the final details but it mostly boils down to a couple layers of hexagonal mesh, stitched to waterproof outer material. Intake and exhaust fans are fitted beneath the chest piece which pull air through the suit as well as through a flat tube running up the back of the neck for helmet ventilation (the helmet will have visor defrosters). This, assuming the batteries hold out, should allow for a considerable amount insulation before the wearer becomes uncomfortable... I'll probably never need it with the weather out here in Washington, but it certainly puts my mind at ease knowing comfort is just the flick of a switch away.

My main claim to fame however would have to be my integrated under-suit cooling. I'm still working out the final details but it mostly boils down to a couple layers of hexagonal mesh, stitched to waterproof outer material. Intake and exhaust fans are fitted beneath the chest piece which pull air through the suit as well as through a flat tube running up the back of the neck for helmet ventilation (the helmet will have visor defrosters). This, assuming the batteries hold out, should allow for a considerable amount insulation before the wearer becomes uncomfortable... I'll probably never need it with the weather out here in Washington, but it certainly puts my mind at ease knowing comfort is just the flick of a switch away.

I am interested. Please, keep me updated with how you do this AMD how it works...

I'm excited to see how that works out because Hudson are usually too close to the eye to see and arent really realistic. Now RandomRanger if you could pull off the long awaited armor that can turn invisible, then you have officially taken cosplay to a new level :D
I was planning on saving invis for my next build, after I get the basics down ya know? XD

As for the HUD, I may go with a wearable projector kind of like Google glass. Still looking into it, because I too believe focal length would be a real issue.

Currently I'm considering just buying this: https://www.amazon.com/Vufine-Weara...=1548301362&sr=8-14&keywords=wearable+display and using that to display stuff. It won't appear on the glass like it does in the game, but I don't think that's possible anyways because of focal length (like xXDashIVXx mentioned). Plus buying a unit rather than making one will make the development soooooooo much easier (assuming the product works).

I have a pretty crazy project for fallout power frame with servos and you walk into it, but I'm kinda crazy.
Fortunately for us both, I like crazy :)

Also, I made my own Google Glass in highschool and then wore it around for a day, so maybe we both are... didn't keep my gf long after that haha.

As a software engineer, I'm more interested in a functioning HUD. Considering that a wearable display may be my best option, I ordered the one above and plan to write my own custom HUD for the raspberry pi. I'll let you guys know how it goes, when it goes.

Makes me want to punch your chestplate to see If your HUD shield display depletes, know how awesome that would be...maybe reinforce that chest just in case ya know

Makes me want to punch your chestplate to see If your HUD shield display depletes, know how awesome that would be...maybe reinforce that chest just in case ya know
Speaking of shields, I have a couple ideas on how to add visual energy shields to my armor... but I'm still looking into their feasibility.

Speaking of shields, I have a couple ideas on how to add visual energy shields to my armor... but I'm still looking into their feasibility.

Interested*

20107630_5_350_266.gif

The easiest way that I've been able to think of uses a similar principle to that of an edge lit acrylic sign. There being a thin, non-uniform transparent layer on top of your painted suit. The main issues arising from this are distributing the leds in such a way that they themselves are not visible.
Currently, the only work around I've come up with is recessing them into the surface, painting with clear coat, painting again with your suit's color, then again with clear coat as to obscure their positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back