Questions about building ODST Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODST Emory

So, my big question is this: What do I use? I was planning on using the Andrew DFT templates, but I'm not sure I like the helmet configuration. I can't do 3d printing or anything so fancy, I can only do eva foam, so I was just wondering. If anyone has ideas, I would be happy to hear them. Seeing as I have never done foam armor before, and I obviously want the best I can get, I wanted to know as much as possible before emptying my miniscule budget, (I'm a currently unemployed 16 yr old) and building a set of armor. Again, I am limited to eva foam, and I also need a good backpack. If anyone knows how to transform a small trash can into a backpack, I would like to know that as well. Thank you to any and all who can offer me advice, helpful or otherwise.

Firstly, welcome to the 405th! We have some pepakura files here that you might find useful. Are you completely new to foamsmithing? If so I'd recommend checking out Punished Props to get a basic understanding of it - if you have any specific questions let us know. Personally I've never made an ODST before but many here have so I'm sure they can give some better advice tailored for this build.

You should be able to download and use Pepakura Viewer for free. This will allow you to print off pepakura files. With these, you can trace the patterns to foam and make your armour parts from that. However, you'll probably find that some patterns may need to be slightly adjusted to better suit foam. I'm sure the ODST foam veterans will give you some tips, when they wake up.

You should be able to download and use Pepakura Viewer for free. This will allow you to print off pepakura files. With these, you can trace the patterns to foam and make your armour parts from that. However, you'll probably find that some patterns may need to be slightly adjusted to better suit foam. I'm sure the ODST foam veterans will give you some tips, when they wake up.
Thank you, that is quite helpful.

I feel the call of odst foam builds.
So, my big question is this: What do I use? I was planning on using the Andrew DFT templates, but I'm not sure I like the helmet configuration. I can't do 3d printing or anything so fancy, I can only do eva foam, so I was just wondering. If anyone has ideas, I would be happy to hear them. Seeing as I have never done foam armor before, and I obviously want the best I can get, I wanted to know as much as possible before emptying my miniscule budget, (I'm a currently unemployed 16 yr old) and building a set of armor. Again, I am limited to eva foam, and I also need a good backpack. If anyone knows how to transform a small trash can into a backpack, I would like to know that as well. Thank you to any and all who can offer me advice, helpful or otherwise.
How can I help you? What style of odst are you trying to make? Halo 2, 3, or reach?

But the first thing I can recommend is downloading pepakura designer 4 as its free and the bread and butter of this build for foam. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. Thier is alot of us ODST foam peeps on here. So you will be in good hands. With the foam files we have you can make stuff as detailed as this. Last but not least I cant stress enough you have any questions or issues feel free to reach out

Attachments

• 20201006_204004.jpg
    20201006_204004.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 236
  • 20201006_204030.jpg
    20201006_204030.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 242
  • 20201027_020052.jpg
    20201027_020052.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 235
Last edited:
But the first thing I can recommend is downloading pepakura designer 4 as its free and the bread and butter of this build for foam. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. Thier is alot of us ODST foam peeps on here. So you will be in good hands. With the foam files we have you can make stuff as detailed as this. Last but not least I cant stress enough you have any questions or issues feel free to reach out
Thank you for the advice, and if I need to, I will definitely message you! I can try Pepakura Designer 4, and see where these designs lead contingent to what I am capable of. I might stick with Andrew DFT's design for the most part, but I might try the pep helmet that PlanetAlexander sent the link for. I really like the boots design on the first image you sent, and i think I will do that, because DFT doesn't have anything really for that. Still, I can't say for sure what i will be doing just yet, but i thank you for the recommendations just the same!

As for in response to your question, I am trying to do Halo Reach. Halo 3 ODST is always going to be my favorite game, but I like the reach armor configuration.
So if you do want to branch out from DFT's template for a reach ODST will be a little harder as I don't believe we have all the files for that one but if you need any pep file for foam for the reach ones let me know and I'll see what I can find. I think the thigh one is in the halobreach accessories tab in the armoury

DFT is a good way to get experience with foam building but when you use the DFT template you lose a lot of detail and his template fits his body type so if you don't have his body it won't be sized correctly to you. (Hints: A good cosplay set are detail and proper sizing on the cosplayer body) If I was you, I use his template and tweak them and find a different helmet that looks better than his template one.

Hello. Me and my husband have made ODST foam sets as well. I have also done ODST foam helmets before.

DFT is good beginner templets and let you learn. They are typically boxier and very simplified patterns.

Another good source to learn foam smithing is EvilTed on YouTube, and KumoiCosplay

Thank you all for the most recent info, Thanks for the suggestion TillXValhalla, I will look into it, and I don't have DFT's body type, so that is something to consider, so thank you HeroMinerR5, and lastly, thank you Ashuraa, and I will look at the other YouTube channels.

If anyone knows how to transform a small trash can into a backpack, I would like to know that as well.
Okay so this is wild. I've been on the forums for several years and I've never seen this as an idea brought up before and it's damn smart. The base shape is pretty close and you can just layer up foam on the sections that need some added detail.

Depending on the material of the trash can different adhesives might work better than others for foam so definitely do a test piece in an inconspicuous place. Perhaps a small bit of foam at the bottom of the inside of the can so you're not wasting foam and adding a pad to the bottom which will stop things rattling around inside.

Okay so this is wild. I've been on the forums for several years and I've never seen this as an idea brought up before and it's damn smart. The base shape is pretty close and you can just layer up foam on the sections that need some added detail.

Depending on the material of the trash can different adhesives might work better than others for foam so definitely do a test piece in an inconspicuous place. Perhaps a small bit of foam at the bottom of the inside of the can so you're not wasting foam and adding a pad to the bottom which will stop things rattling around inside.
To add to that. It most likey best to find an old backpack use the strapping on the backpack as a way to carry the ODST backpack and the trash can easily be modify to look like this with foam and detail straping. The backpack is the best way to start with your build because you can get an idea on how foam smithing work.

135FF9B8-B987-480A-8177-BF089D9819D9.jpeg

Update, my first bit of EVA Foam will be arriving within the next few days. I won't be able to complete a full set with it, and I am going to practice by making a Magnum form Andrew DFT first. I won't have to worry about the helmet any longer, because BuckDenali offered to 3D print a raw one for me. I am only able to get 6 eva mats for now, so does anyone have a recommendation for which pieces I should craft first? (The Magnum uses two sheets, I believe.) I was just curious if anyone had an opinion on the first pieces I should craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back