Questions about building ODST Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update, my first bit of EVA Foam will be arriving within the next few days. I won't be able to complete a full set with it, and I am going to practice by making a Magnum form Andrew DFT first. I won't have to worry about the helmet any longer, because BuckDenali offered to 3D print a raw one for me. I am only able to get 6 eva mats for now, so does anyone have a recommendation for which pieces I should craft first? (The Magnum uses two sheets, I believe.) I was just curious if anyone had an opinion on the first pieces I should craft.
Hard to go wrong with the chest or shoulders the most iconic parts of the ODST

As it's your first time working with foam, I'd have to disagree with TillXValhalla (sorry mate!) - personally I'd make something that's less visually interesting, such as the legs/boots or arms (biceps and forearms). I think that's a better place to start to get experience so your more iconic parts, as TillXValhalla mentioned like the chest and shoulders, stand out more.

TLDR: If pieces complete motivates you start with simplest (lowest detail) pieces and progress. If you want something cool to look at to motivate you start w/ something iconic.

There's two major schools of thought here that you need to figure out what motivates you.

Group A is motivated by getting things done and/or by making things as perfectly as possible early on. If you're in this camp start with something simple, without a lot of details or weird angles, and progress to the more challenging ones.

In this group, if you're doing the DFT ODST then I'd likely go ab plate or thighs first with something like the gauntlets or helmet last. Although the DFT helmet is meant to be simplified and he rates it low difficulty, most people look more closely at the helmet than other pieces. If you're making the HD:ODST files from the armory then hips, or cod would be a good starting place with again forearms or helmet near the end.

Group B is motivated more by wanting to have something iconic done even if they end up remaking it because even if they decide halfway through the build that they don't want to continue, they have that iconic part done to show off.

For this group I'd recommend the helmet first regardless of using DFT or armory files unless you buy the helmet then I'd go shoulders first in this group. The challenge here is that especially when new, helmets can be challenging to get right and will likely end up being remade later.

As it's your first time working with foam, I'd have to disagree with TillXValhalla (sorry mate!) - personally I'd make something that's less visually interesting, such as the legs/boots or arms (biceps and forearms). I think that's a better place to start to get experience so your more iconic parts, as TillXValhalla mentioned like the chest and shoulders, stand out more.
Your not wrong starting simple can be a good way to get going. I have a couple friends who are just getting into cosplay and I told them buy a pack of foam from harbor freight for cheap and follow along AndrewDFT to learn the tricks and skills needed for just about any foam build. Regardless if they plan on wearing it. Just to learn foam smithing. I only really suggested chest and shoulders here due to the lack of foam OP has. Hell I havent even finished the chest on my build yet. Life just came at me fast lol. But I do fully understand your side .

TillXValhalla is in this picture.

20915606_822399381272537_3117353773805187145_n.jpg

TurboCharizard I don't want to seem like I'm coming off forcefull or anything. Just trying to help from my experience. I was given no guidance when I started and everything was custom and eyeballed lol. This was my very first costume it was also an odst. I made it in 1 month for the first con I ever went to and I only finished it so fast because a buddy of mine told me I wouldn't be able too.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1508909456885.jpg
    FB_IMG_1508909456885.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 151
A4 is narrower by just a little more than 2/10s of an inch, but taller by almost 7/10's of an inch. I have no idea how to change things for you, but it is something you'll have to think about. Any chance of just buying some A4 paper? Most printers aren't picky so long as you tell them what they're working with.

If I recall correctly, I think there's a fair amount of empty space around the actual templates in DFT's magnum file. You should be able to print it at 100% on letter no problem, just make sure it's 100% scale and not size to fit. Maybe you'll lose some additional text but nothing from the templates themselves.

If not, or for other templates that don't have enough buffer space, I'd just buy some A4 paper and use it; it's faster than trying to adjust the pdfs provided to letter size.

If I recall correctly, I think there's a fair amount of empty space around the actual templates in DFT's magnum file. You should be able to print it at 100% on letter no problem, just make sure it's 100% scale and not size to fit. Maybe you'll lose some additional text but nothing from the templates themselves.

If not, or for other templates that don't have enough buffer space, I'd just buy some A4 paper and use it; it's faster than trying to adjust the pdfs provided to letter size.
Okay, so I tried this, and I think it worked. Like you said, text is missing, but I think it will work. Thank you for the recommendation!!

Okay, so the camera didn't save the pictures where I could find them, so I have a couple, but not all of them. I'll share the finished Ab plate from the DFT template, and the Magnum. I am working on the chest piece, and I just got the chest blank done. Had to widen it to fit my body type, however. I am significantly larger than Andrew DFT, and i exceed the 6' 2" height limit by an inch, so I am altering things as I go. Found out the helmet I was going to get was too small. BuckDenali offered to 3d print me one for $90, but does anyone have a cheaper option?

IMG_20201121_112702.jpg
IMG_20201121_112616.jpg
IMG_20201121_112646.jpg

Last edited:
Your Magnum turned out great.
As for cheaper options for the bucket, making a foam helmet is probably the cheapest way to.
At $90 dollars to print a helmet, that's the lowest price I have ever seen for a commission. On Etsy, pretty much any raw print helmet will be north $150 USD.
Unless you have a friend who will print for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back