Questions about Magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

vshore100

Member DIN
S091
I have been searching this site, K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets for magnets to attach my face plate and chin to my Iron Man Mk II helmet. I have some questions. I know others have used magnets to attach these pieces but, how much pull force should these magnets have? I found these on their site, K&J Magnetics - Products, and K&J Magnetics - Products. They interlock with each other so that would help ensure that everything stays lined up. Is the pull force on these too little or too much? They vary from 10.72 - 12.94. Also, how do I attach them inside the helmet? I was thinking epoxy? Any thoughts on this would be of great help and much appreciation.

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought a 4 pack of neodymium magnets from Walmart for like $3.00 in the crafts section. 2 sets of 2 on each side the chin for my War Machine helmet holds it in place but i want to use 4 sets of 2 just to be safe. they are a 1/2in button size. they are pretty strong and can easily hold eachother through my finger. now they arent the super strong rip your flesh off if they snap fast on your finger kind, but they work perfectly. to attach them i just drilled a few 1/2 inch holes and used a 2 part epoxy glue. when everything is set and cured it holds great and you could even squeeze in a third set on each side if you wanted. now that i think about it, you can use any glue that will adhere to metal and Bondo/plastic really.

here are some pics:

hope that helps.

I bought from K&J magnets to attach my Iron Man helm together as well. I used 4 sets of 2. It hold just fine, even with the added weight of an El panel, wires, inverter, and a 9v all on the faceplate. The magnets I used were these: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=B662%2DN52

I'll take a pic of the inside of my helmet to show you the setup when I get home tonight and post it tomorrow. I used hot glue to hold them in place, that works but I want to redo it with superglue for a better bond. I've put it on and taken the faceplate off repeatedly and noticed the glue start to peel up on one of the magnets. So I just want to be safe and go with a better bond.

Thanks Deathbox and Carlino for the info and pics. It's nice to see how others have done it and how I can incorporate that into my build.

This is the picture of the inside of my faceplate. I hope you can see where the magnets are. There are one magnet each at the top on each sides of the square portion, and also on the red part which is near the jaw line there are one on each side. The magnets are laying down flat so only their short side (I think its 1/8 inch thick) actually meet up and hold it together. Also make sure that the magnets are not at opposite pole when you glue them in. I accidently glue one in backwards and it was trying to repell the other magnet haha. Hope this helps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anything to help another member! If you want more pictures of a different angle or something else just let me know.

Thanks Carlino. Yeah if you could give me a couple more shots from diff. angles that would be great. Who's helmet are you using? Reason I ask is because I think I used the same one,lol. That would work out even better, I know exactly where to put them then!

I've heard a lot of people say that they don't work for such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back