R2 D2 Obj file

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can take a crack at this. Read the red part in my signature. XD lol But seriously, I've become pretty good at unfolding and can have this unfolded for you and have it set for the desired size at 3 feet.

I will have it set for letter size paper, but after seeing that there are parts too big for one sheet of paper, I will have to edit the model itself in a 3D program in order to break down the larger pieces so that I can get it all to fit. Be warned this WILL take up A LOT of pieces of paper. I can tell already by what I have unfolded so far there will be a lot of pages, but if Game-on is SERIOUSLY going to pep (build) it for you, then I guess you have nothing to worry about. XD lol I can have it done pretty quick. I should be able to complete the unfold in a couple hours.

Awsome. Well I mean whoever has it done. First just send me the link and ill start working on it. I'm getting pretty far on my c3 po so I figure why not start r2. That's fine however many pages u need to use I don't mind

Nice...who doesn't want a full sized R2D2? hinge the top and make a sweet mini bar...hmmm...cqb might have to be put on hold for this one.

Yeah once i finish it all, right now ive still got some work to do on a c3-po, but im going to start it as soon as i have the file

One thing I noticed about this file that is different from R2D2 is that the model is missing the 3rd foot. I don't know if it's supposed to be a different character or something since I don't know much about star wars, but I DO know that R2D2 has 3 feet and not just 2. :p

OMG OMG OMG This is awesome. I totally wanna pep this thing. I have not worked with the pepakura designer much as far as unfolding goes so i will have to see what i can do. Nice find man. And HaloGoddes, you are correct R2D2 does have three feet. Technically he has two legs and the third foot pops out of his under part :) I am a big star wars nerd. :)

good point lol, i didn't even think of that! would it be possible to copy one of the feet from the other legs and just put it on the front?

Okay, after looking at some pictures of R2D2, it looks like that front, 3rd foot pretty much looks like the ones on the side, sooo...............I can duplicate one of the existing feet, edit out the parts I don't need and make a 3rd foot. HOWEVER, I may not be able to create the piece that attaches the 3rd foot to the underside since it would require me to actually model that part and I can't seem to find any decent images to work off of so whoever builds this will just have to get creative and by looking at images, just try to make something to put in that place to attach the foot. :\

EDIT:

Ummm...........wow! This is gonna sound funny, but there WAS an EXTRA foot INSIDE of R2D2! XD When I opened up the model in Blender and duplicated one of the other feet to make a 3rd, I noticed some odd lines inside of the main body. When I looked at it closer, it was the 3rd foot! LOL So, all that work I just did for nothing. :\ I will pull the foot out of the body and unfold it. XD

Well I am really having to tweak this model up a bit in order to make it easier to pep AND to ensure that the pieces will be able to fit on a page due to the size. I am not familiar with the original modeler and don't recall seeing them on this site, but I hope the original modeler does not mind me editing the model so that it's easier to build at a large scale! XD

EDIT: Okay, so I am done tweaking the model and have started the unfold. I think this should work now. XD I also "blew apart" the model. It will still be put together the same way, but it will help when creating the body. I made is so that once you build themain part of the body and then the "head" you can sort of slip the head right on top and it will be able to spin around! :p hehe

@HaloGoddess Glad to see I'm not the only one working on this. :) I haven't had any problems with the model though missing the third foot. Thought I'd let you know too that the official size of the R2D2 model from the movies is 42 and a half inches(1078mm).

@HaloGoddess Glad to see I'm not the only one working on this. :) I haven't had any problems with the model though missing the third foot. Thought I'd let you know too that the official size of the R2D2 model from the movies is 42 and a half inches(1078mm).
Well as I stated for the 3rd foot, it IS included in the model, but it's just not visible. It's there and it SHOULD be there when unfolding it, but I went into Blender and just pulled the foot out of the body so it is now visible in pepakura.

As for the size, I scaled it to 36 inches. It's only 6 inches shorter than the movie model, but in order to make it so that the pieces fit the paper, it would require MORE hours to edit the 3D model so that I can break down the pieces for the unfold. I think my set size should be fine. :p

Haha, Good to know. :) I've been wanting to pull out my hair at times on this so you probably have the better idea on that.

All i have to say is Thanks Goddess and Game. You guys are truly awesome :) Goddess, I cant wait till your done with this. Great idea to have the head swivel btw. I am going to build this and put it by the front door as a greeter lol. Btw how did you learn to start unfolding models and stuff, just curious :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back