RaideR6672 Iron Man Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am getting ready to start hardening the helmet on Saturday, and I've got a questions, and if anyone can provide some advice, it would be appreciated.

I read on another post (I can't remember where) that someone has used Mod Podge to seal the outside of the helmet before using Rondo or SmoothCast. My wife has two gigantic bottles of Mod Podge, and with it being fairly cold in Utah, I wouldn't be able to use fiberglass resin outside, and I am sure as hell not going to do it inside, so I thought it would be worth a try. But before I venture out there and mess things up, I thought I would ask the experts out there.

Any thoughts?

I would suggest trying it on a scrap piece of cardstock then going from there. The down side may be, that it will probably only seal it, not stiffen it any like resin does.

Definitely test it first as vshore has suggested. Also, I paint smotth cast right on the outside too when I can't use fiberglass resin (i live in an apartment and I don't want the neighbors loosing it). I know Hyper is going to punch me for suggesting it, but I don't have issues with using smooth cast on the outside. He hates it...lol. BTW, these pep pieces look great. I can't wait to see the end product considering the first suit looks great.

Tony

Update!

So, after 8 hours of hardening and 1 hour of sanding, this is where I am:

20120206-WarMachine01.jpg

I did end up hardening the mohawk and ears separately. I think it will be the best in the end. I can use bondo and sanding to make sure each piece fits perfectly.

As you can see in the next two pictures, there is some warping, some worse then others. I almost gave up, but I am trying to tell myself that I can do some work to get it to look at least half-normal. I doubt I can get it perfect with bondo, but I can get it to a point where I am happy.

20120206-WarMachine02.jpg

20120206-WarMachine03.jpg

At the rate I am going, I am not sure I will be finished for the Avengers premier, but I am pretty positive I can be done for Halloween this year.

Comments and suggestions are welcome!

If you have a heat gun, you can heat that area and push it back into position, then hold it until it cools. It should take care of the majority of the warping. Best of luck. It's looking great! :)

Quick update. Because of the cold weather, I have put the helmet aside for now. When the weather gets warmer where I can do some bondo work, I will pick it up again. In the mean time, I have been working on the foam armor. I've got more done than I have in the pictures, I just haven't taken pictures of it yet.

20120213-WarMachine01.jpg

20120213-WarMachine02jpg.jpg

20120217-WarMachine01.jpg

Again, I am taking my time, so this is going by much slower than I hoped, but I want to make sure it is done right.

Looks great man. You should take your time for sure. This is shaping up to be one great War Machine build!:)

Man I was just watching the first movie and I never get tired of seeing the build process in the film and also when Tony first takes it out for the test run in the middle east

The first suit looks great and I'm sure the war machine build will be even better, this makes me want to do a build of the Mrk V

Hey everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I've provided an update. Life has gotten in the way of getting things done.

So, here's a couple pictures of the left arm nearly completed. I'm just missing part of the shoulder bell.

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back