Reach Emile Build *updates W/pics!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
tomb-stone said:
lol, zooming in from a distance isn't good. that magnifies hand movement, making it look more blury.

I like how you laugh at someone when it's perfectly clear that you haven't understood what the person said.

Last edited by a moderator:
@acehigh I'm not laughing at him. im laughing in general. zooming causes increases in things like camera movement, which is general photography know-how. i'm not attempting to insult him. I understood him perfectly. If you noticed, i mentioned that it most likely wasn't the camera, but something that had to do with the picture itself. anyways, i started looking through the thread, and i noticed that the picture i was commenting on was in a different thread, and the picture i was referring to is in a different thread, also with EVA suit. But still, unless you're using a stable surface or a tripod, distance isn't a wanted thing to do. and a straight, head-on pictures won't give the distortion of angles, so a flat surface making the camera lens almost perfectly aligned with the center of the helmet will give an accurate view of the helmet. im trying to make some constructive criticism. I'm not trying to be passive aggressive. Sorry if it came out wrong :)

AceHigh said:
I like how you laugh at someone when it's perfectly clear that you haven't understood what the person said.

I don;t think any harm was meant. And it WAS on a tripod, but I still need to be further away... it was about 4 feet.

Picturey goodiness! Chestplate.

S6304730.jpg

S6304728.jpg

S6304727.jpg

S6304725.jpg

S6304724.jpg

The scaling is dead-on. Waddy think

regular foam-core board. got a bunch of big sheets at the dollar store. I use some thinned white glue, spread it thin over the board, then sandwich pep and board between 2 really heavy books and 10lbs worth of dumbbells. Dead flat. And it prevents warping once teh smooth-on gets applied. Since I'm using 90lb cardstock, it's not as durable.

beautiful! just fantastic! it looks perfect size for you!

what was the scale size that it's set on?

oh and.. i'm still waiting for that knife. =D GET TO WORK!!! lol jk dude The project is turning out very well! keep it uppppp! :cool

That is actually a pretty good idea. Since even though I use 110 lb, I still experience some warping. Thats a good fine. And for body armor, it would help during test fittings. Nice job!

Thanks, and @crisis, stop patronizing me, Simmons! ;) I have to scale the shoulder first before the knife, so it's proportional. I'll probably have 2 versions, 1 hard for my own in-home use, another one out of foamies for public. So I don;t get thrown in the slammer or anything... Maybe even integral to it's sheath. The ceral-box cardboard works well too, but you have to be careful. It needs more time and a LOT of weight on top, otherwise the glue warps it. And for scaling, its 360 mm wide, using the L3X torso unfolded by Carapithia (I think that's how it;s spelled... :unsure ) so for you (Flaming crisis, and can I use your real name? you can call me Graham if you want...) so for you, probably 365-375 should be good. I'm not as tall as you, but I know I'm pretty wide in the chest area (yeah, it's ALLL muscle... :p ) so 360 may even be fine for you. the rundown version is easier, but less accurate. that would make a good tester. Now if you do Jorge...

EDIT: at Dylan,

I think it was dystorted inc. Not sure though.

how thick is that foam core board anyway? you didnt have to size it down did you? i might look into this for a later project...

Also:: price range? lol i know the dollar store can cost more than a dollar sometimes...

EDIT: Feel free to call me pat... its all cool

im pretty sure no one here would want to stalk me... lol

the stuff from office max is like, $5 a sheet. It WAS only a buck a sheet, about the surface area of 5-6 pages of paper or so. I havn't seen it around lately, good thing I bought 7 sheets! :pI cut out the pep, pencil in all areas where there is a bend in the line, then cut out. Glue it on, and it's set.

EDIT:

tomb-stone said:
i dont understand the point of the weights. can you explain?

It makes sure the pep is FLAT and eliminates any air bubbles or lumps in the glue

EDIT 2, Curves are just straight pep. Angles are done with shirt cardboard. After glued, I score it, and it works normally. Vally folds don't work well though, only mountain.

ohhh ok! so you just backed the main body piece with foam board, and the rest is backed with a thiner cardboard-type material? i know it wouldn't look as high quality, but... would just normal boxes (cheeze-its, etc.) hold up just as well?

DEpends. Large flat areas, foam board. Smaller stuff with bends, cardboard (cheeze-it box, cereal, etc). Foam core can be subbed with thick (corrugated) card board as well, but it won;t be as smooth, it'll have little ridges.

EDIT:

DylanMarx said:
So theres no template or anything?

eh? I fail to understand...

MOAR MOAR MOAR!!!

just curious... do you have any estimate of a date when you're gonna finish the helmet? not trying to rush ya here.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back