Reccomended Clay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkesword2020

Hey Adam/Link I was wondering what was the name of the clay you guys had reccomended. You had recommended one in a topic a few days back..can't find it
I think it was Chavant. What was the name of the one you guys used to make your armor?

Alright awesome, I think I'll try out that method for my next set of armor crafting. Looks to be easier than the method I'm currently using for my clone and stormtrooper suits..

Thanks Adam, by the way, is this something you can get at an A.C. Moore or a Michaels or does it have to be ordered online?

A great oil based clay i use is
Artone Venus Modeling Clay. Ive been using this for sometime now and i have one mold thats been sitting out for 2 months now and its just as pliable as it was when i first opened it.

i too need a clay that is oil based. ive heard of chavant but i dont know where to get it. can it be used over an armeture and not crack? and also say im making the "bill" of the helmet, will it droop or will it hold its shape? i kind of need something that air dries yet wont shrink and cause cracks. if chavant does all this then please let me know where i can get some!!!

thanks bunches!!

Adam said:
I use Chavant, NSP (non-sulferic plasticine or whatever)

Soft.
what about the industrial kind they use for modeling concepts cars? im pretty sure its called Y-2. because its hard would this be the best choice for detail? and i also want the models to eventually become hard. can you bake chavant to make it hard?

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want a clay that you can make hard parts out of you need to use super sculpy. You can find it at any hobby store. You will need to sculpt pretty thin if you want it to be your final piece. Once your done sculpting it just bake in the oven as directed and it will be rigid.

Chavant clay will not work this way, its an oil based clay. Which means it sets as clay forever. It wont harden or dry out even under heat.

ok. but no im not making my wearable pieces out of clay. the clay pieces im making will be for the initial positive so i can make a negative then my final postive piece that i wear.....hope that made sense.

ok so i need to get super sculpy? thanks

would it be a good idea to just go with chavant if im using it solely for the purpose of making a sculpt to then cast replicas from? (trying to keep myself from getting confused) :) thanks for putting up with my slowness

i believe it. right now i have 3 roughly 6 lbs boxes for my helmet sculpt and i still need more. looks like i may need another 2 or 3 whis is about 40 bucks out my pocket lol

TD???? said:
i believe it. right now i have 3 roughly 6 lbs boxes for my helmet sculpt and i still need more. looks like i may need another 2 or 3 whis is about 40 bucks out my pocket lol

Jesus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to use NSP initially, but I couldn't find a store that I was willing to buy from (I'm paranoid around the internet and my credit cards). I ended up using a different Chavant clay: Le beau Touche (spelling may be a bit off) it is also sulphur-free, and I assume it is oil-based. I'm not sure, but my research has found that the only real difference between it and NSP is that it is supposedly more adhesive (I don't know).

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back