Reinforcing Enclosed Pepakura Structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliteRouge

Jr Member
Before starting my armory I have a quick question. (for some reason i'm not allowed to post this in the cardboard and pepakura thread***) Unlike the body armor, weapons are enclosed structures (like a cube or sphere) thus it is impossible to fiberglass the inside to provide structural integrety.

I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas how to solve this. I don't think putting resin then detailing with rondo or bondo will make the hollow weapon strong enought to handle. I also don't think it is possible to fiberglass half of the weapon then attach it to the other half of the weapon.

EliteRouge said:
Before starting my armory I have a quick question. (for some reason i'm not allowed to post this in the cardboard and pepakura thread***) Unlike the body armor, weapons are enclosed structures (like a cube or sphere) thus it is impossible to fiberglass the inside to provide structural integrety.

I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas how to solve this. I don't think putting resin then detailing with rondo or bondo will make the hollow weapon strong enought to handle. I also don't think it is possible to fiberglass half of the weapon then attach it to the other half of the weapon.

I found that you place like 6 coats of resin on the pep models. make sure to leave small holes...at least big enough to spray in spray foam. The foam gives it structure as well as a base for installing...ex: mag light and barrel on ar.

Last edited by a moderator:
leave a small piece off of what ever you are making then just cover some fiberglass in resin and jam a bunch in through that hole with a pencil=P

Edit: then glue on that small piece you left off

If you use Great Stuff foam, spray in sections. If you dont the pressure will be so great it will either bow the sides out or crack them.

The strongest weapon you can make will be solid on the inside. So you can either pour resin into your pepakura model after glassing the outside (not recommended, since it may warp the model), or you can make a two- piece silicone mold and recast your piece in resin. The latter is more expensive, more time consuming, and requires experience and finesse, but it will give you a stronger weapon.

i fiberglasses my assault rifle, then spreyd it with great stuff, i put a slit in the front and one in the back *for venting*

another thing ive seen is "endo glassing" its just using the resin to stregthen it then cutting the weapon down the middle, and fiberglassing the inside of the weapon. i havnt tried this one yet

Oh, and one more thing- this may work best if you can't afford to make a mold. First, punch a hole in a flat area of your weapon. Mix and pour (about 1/8 to 1/4 of the weapon's volume) resin into your model. Then plug the hole and rotate your weapon. Rotate it so the resin contacts all parts of the inside. Keep rotating it until the resin has set. After that fill and sand the hole. This is similar to making a slush casting. If all goes right, a wall of resin should be built up in the model, adding strength while keeping weight down.

Another option that I didn't see mentioned was - build the weapon/enclosed model in sections (each side). Leave one part off (to put the Great Foam in), and one or two vent holes. Resin outside, glass the inside, then assemble the halves together. Resin the seam to close it up. Then put the Great Foam in. Let it set up, then resin in the final piece.

There will be a tutorial posted sometime today by BlacRoseImmortal (of sniper rifle fame) in the Weapons and Props forum. She is currently working on it. You go girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back