resin cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean plyurethane resin? or just resin?

smooth-on sell a gallon of poly urethanre for $70 odd so....Thats not bad coz u can make quit a few casts out of that

smilie120 said:
Do you mean plyurethane resin? or just resin?

smooth-on sell a gallon of poly urethanre for $70 odd so....Thats not bad coz u can make quit a few casts out of that
im not sure. the good kind that hardins the pepakura armor. or as that both? wich ones better?

Last edited by a moderator:
That' d be fiberglass resin lol. um idk about gallons i usualy buy a kit with everything in it....the glas, resin,hardener,mixing pot stick and a brush....Its cheap enough anyway.

Where do y'all buy your fiberglass and fiberglass resin anyway? I looked at home depot's website and they havn't got it on there, which makes me wonder if they would have it if I went into the store.

smilie120 said:
That' d be fiberglass resin lol. um idk about gallons i usualy buy a kit with everything in it....the glas, resin,hardener,mixing pot stick and a brush....Its cheap enough anyway.
i thought that stuff was for the visor. :cautious:
oh and idk where to buy the stuff thats one reason im asking... maybe hobby lobby :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well im form UK so idk about hobby lobby. They will definatly sell it in an automotive shop. I have three quite close to me...so..

For fiberglassing resin, here in the states...look at your local auto parts store (Autozone, O'Rielly, Pep Boyz, Advanced Auto....) or boating supply stores or even Wal-mart automotive section.

Look for a metal container with plastic cap on top that hold a small tube of hardener. something like this: http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=371

Read Tuts here on-site or even youtube DIY vids to understand how to use and what needed additional materials - brushes, mixing cups...etc.

The resin does soak into the cardstock but it begins to harden quickly, long before the added weight of the liquid could soggy the cardstock and deform it. Remember, you are creating a composite material -- combining two materials to make something that is stronger that the two individually.

As for scaling the armor, stay tuned to the Pep Scaling Thread. We are trying to gather everyone's build measurements to compile some accurate size tables.

i got a galleon for 30 bucks or something at home depot this week. its the Bondo brand. haven't used it yet so i can't give you a review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back