Resin making me itch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow1336

Hey guys. While I was resining about an hour ago, I got some on my leg accidentally. And it itches real bad, is this normal?

yeah. unfortunately if you get the fibers on your skin, it will irritate that crap out of it. the best thing to do is take a thorough shower. I got some on my arm the other day. BLEH.

yeah. unfortunately if you get the fibers on your skin, it will irritate that crap out of it. the best thing to do is take a thorough shower. I got some on my arm the other day. BLEH.
Its not the actual fiberglass, just the resin.

yes. don't fell bad i am alergic.. my skin will burn and turn red. i wear gloves long shirt just about a bio hazard suit when i am resining or fiberglassing. also a word of warning.. if you go to sand down the fiberglass wear pants and long shirt. the fiberglass dust and small fibers will get in your pores and itch like crazy and the only way i have found to get it out of the pores is to get in the shower with really hot water and a green scrub pad (like the ones used on pots and pans) and scrub about the top 2 layers of skin off.

and don't forget a mask! when i was about 22 i was rebuilding a boat and had the typical i'm indestructable attitude and ended up with chemical induced pnemonia belived from the resin. sucked. the warnings are all true.

I've resined before. :p
I know the dangers and stuff. I was just wondering what kind of reaction I was having to the resin.

Yeah, it's an irritant.

I try not to get any on my skin, but when I do, it typically doesn't irritate my skin, but then, I have pretty leathery skin, anyway. I make sure to wear my work jeans and gloves when I resin. And always with the 3M respirator. (Speaking of, my carts are now only fit for paintspray, now. I can smell resin inside the resp, now)

Now, what you REALLY don't want is getting it in your eye. That will BURN. See, what had happened was the can of resin I bought ($40 gallon can, yo) got rusted shut. Even the good ole channel locks weren't pullin' it. So, I took the truck's tire iron and smashed a hole in the top. (We leave the can by the door of my massive garage, and there's enough airflow that it doesn't cause any harm to us) Well, I poured some resin to mix, and I was putting the can down. Last 3 inches, it slipped from my hand, and some splashed out, RIGHT INTO MY LEFT EYE. I screamed, dropped everything, kicked over the can of acetone and smashed some stuff, while running for the sink in the bathroom on the far side of the house. Had my eye under flowing water for a good amount of time. It was bloodshot like crazy, and all fuzzy, and wouldn't shut right for the rest of the day. Ruined that big batch of resin I'd prepared, as well as the tub it was in.

So, wear eye protection, too.

Jeez, Schizo, that sounds terrible.
But, I've got glasses on like 24/7. So, I guess that counts.
-Totally off topic story time-
Every year at my school we have this whole medieval festival thing, called a "Shakespeare festival". Last year, I was one of the few kids that were running the archery booth. Now, when it was lunch and stuff I just sat outside and messed with the bow. I was preparing to shoot an arrow, and my friend tapped my shoulder. I instinctively let the arrow go, the arrow hit the wall, ricocheted back at me and hit me in the eye. Thank god I was wearing glasses, cause I literally would've lost my eye. Now I have a giant scratch on my glasses.
Moral of the story, Wear my damn glasses.

So, thanks for everything guys. :p

The itching is probably the MEKP hardener burning your skin, not fun, I've done that myself.

i must be a medical then, i'm neither allergic to the resin or in any way affected to the fumes. i don't wear a mask or gloves regularly either, been doin it for about four years too, maybe i'll just wake up dead one day then i'll really have learned my lesson. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back