Resin Smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tips before mine were good ones.

use febreeze, lysol, any of those

the best one: use baby powder, and a fan. It works great

you can also use a hairdryer. The chemical reaction that takes place in the resin never really quits, so it'll stink for weeks or months. If you heat up the helmet with a hairdryer, it'll reactivate the resin to hardener reaction, and drive off alot of fumes. The babypowder also works pretty well, but you might have to do a reapplication after a few weeks, depending on weather and such. If its hot outside and you're wearing the helmet, you'll start smelling the fumes again.
However, don't get it too hot if you're using a hairdryer. It'll start to bubble, and you run the risk of it catching fire. Trust me on that one.

So, I know everyone else already said it, but I'm going to reinforce the idea of babypowder and patience. I just got some baby powder, drizzled it on, and rubbed it in with my hands (wear gloves). I did that all over the helm, and left it outside for a few hours. It knocked out a lot of the smell, but you still need to give it more time to get rid of most of it. That's just my two cents :p

Oh yeah, it had already been air drying outside for about 16 hours prior to the baby powder, and was a little tacky, so that's mainly why I used it, so the resin would harden a little better

im really glad i dont have to do all that with a poly resin. its so much easier but you pay alittle more but theres no health risk

Made some progress on the Hayabusa.
Resined 2 days ago :D
[attachment=6018:DSC01081.JPG]
[attachment=6019:DSC01082.JPG]
[attachment=6020:DSC01083.JPG]
[attachment=6017:DSC01087.JPG]
Planning to Fiberglass this coming week.

I just leave it outside in the sun for a week and the small is gone. Otherwise, say I'm done bondoing and such, I spray paint the inside and outside black, then do some real spray work on the outside of the piece. The paint smell covers over the resin smell, and within a week, all the fumes come off the paint.

joealtair3000 said:
where could i download that helmet if it is pepakura
yeah i want THIS pep file (others look a lot harder)....
and is the 405th logo going to be visable after fiberglassing it? i haven't fiberglassed my helmet yet so i wouldn't know if it is seethrough or not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back