Resin Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i remember right, it depends on the amount of hardener you add to the resin mixture, if it is cooler than 70 deg F, then add more hardener to your mixture. The reverse goes for when it is hotter or humid, reduce the amount of hardener you add to the resin mixture to achieve the desired cure time. I'm not sure on the exact amount of hardener per degree difference, you will have to do some experimenting there.

so if it was 9-11celcius and i doubled the hardner it should be fine but take the night i finished at roughly6:30 depending on my temp and hardner does anyone know aproxamatly what time my first coat should be cured?and i mment 6:30 pm

when i did my chest pice yester day it was around 55 or so i just ran my heat gun a few times over it to hep it cure worked fine for me

thats a prettu sweet idea mmaybe ill try something like that im relly nervous that my cqb is gatbage because i axedentaly doubled my hardner but the studf in my tray was starting to cure so idk annd it prolly doesnt uelp tht its in my garage with the doors all locked up:p

I’ve found that adding in more of the hardening liquid is an excellent way to counter the effects of the cold… but too much is a great way to promote cracking/instability in the mix… which is really evident if you don’t use weave/cloth.

The main issue I’ve found in the cold is air bubbles get into the mix… when it starts dipping down to freezing temps, dear god in heaven the chaos!

I’ve been working fiberglass in the Minnesota winter for a very long time now and I really wish that I had a concrete formula to say to go by, but really the flavor of the mix changes with the temp.

I do know that when it dips down to crazy cold temps, I like to put up a wind blocker, and I’ve also used jet (forced air) heaters, as well as WARM the resin!

one more time for those in the back room… WARM YOUR RESIN!

I’ve found that a el-cheapo candle warmer at Walmart makes a night/day difference when trying to work with cold weather resin.

If I’m in the cold wearing a bunny suit, I’ll separate out and pre-cut my sheets and shove them in the bunny suit to keep them warm. This will certainly ruin a bunny suit by boogering it up in resin.

The best way with the bunny suit is to work in quick layers, and you’ll tear thru some chem. gloves, so the el-cheapo ones are awesome for that.

Lastly… there are some up here who swear by West… but some swear at.

I like Bondo fiberglass resin. It’s cheap, works well… hell I even like the smell.

But West does make some claims, like it’s workable to 35°F.

I just didn’t like the stuff, but if you want to check it out, they have a site, and it can tell you where to buy. link!

It’s really 6 of one, half a dozen of another with resin.

if you really wanted a rough formula to go by, you can get one from the directions on the container of bondo resin.

It states that 12 drops hardener for every 1/4 ounce of resin at 75 deg F with no humidity = 1.5 hrs dry time.

if you feel like some algebra you could set your # of drops needed to equal x, then create an equation. 12x(number of drops) is equal to 75(temperature). which would look like this -> 12x=75.

divide 75 by 12, which gives you x = 6.25.

this means you need 1 drop of hardener for every 6.25 degrees Fahrenheit. this is for a mixture of a 1/4 ounce of resin with no humidity.

for the final equation, you would have ----> x=T/6.25 where x = number of drops and T = Temperature in Fahrenheit

if T is < 75, then final answer should be x + 12

if T is > 75, then the final answer should be 12 - y where y = x - 12

an example is for 50 degrees F.

You would take x = 50/6.25

You should receive an answer around x = 8

so you would add 8 to 12 because your temperature is less than 75

this means that your final mixture should consist of 1/4 ounce resin and 20 drops of hardener the result in a 1.5 hour cool time at 50 def F with no humidity.

If you decide to mix more resin, just increase the final answer to corespond with the increase of resin.

For Example:

instead of 1/4 ounce, you decide to mix 1/2 ounce.

Since 1/2 is twice of 1/4, just double the number of drops you need

This should work for any amount that is proportional to 1/4

Ex: double for 1/2 ounce

triple for 3/4 ounce

quadruple for 4/4 ounce( otherwise known as 1 ounce)

and so on

Also, remember this is a ROUGH formula for NO HUMIDITY, it might need to be fine tuned to your specific area and conditions. I was just trying to help you get in the general area for your mixing numbers

Sorry if this seems completely random. I was working on calculus for my college class and needed a break. Hope this helps with making your resin mixtures a little less painless.

P.S sorry if anything is hard to understand, let me know and i will try to simplify it.

Me and my friend did our helmets at about 43 F, and they turned out just fine. I just had to use about 3 times as much hardener, we tried figuring out an equation, like the one above, but were too lazy and guesstimated.

Pretty cool Syphon *print*

I'm only working a 12 today so I'll be glassing around 0400, looks like it's going to be pretty warm too! 40°, I'm excited to give your forumla a shot

hahaha its been one full day but i dont think it helps that its in a garage all night then brought out in the day the shoved back in drugng night:p{

i live in canada and its like45 degrees over here

the front is done but i did the entire helm . had enough so i did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back