Resin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcthegreat1

Jr Member
Can some tell me if you resin the inside and outside of a helment could you would you still have to add the fiberglass matting or not.and yes i have read all the stickies

thanks for any help

masterchief101

and yes i have read all the stickies

Might want to read again, but: yes, unless you want a helmet that is cracking all over, you will need fiberglass for added structure as well as to prevent the bondo on the outside from cracking.

Actually a decent alternative to fiberglass would be mesh cellulose. Your only problem is availability in it's mesh form... So I'll teach ya how to make it!

Step 1: Get a newspaper

Step 2: Get a paper shredder (the finer the strips the better)

Step 3: Shred the newspaper

Tah dah! While this isn't as strong as fiberglass, it is a healthy alternative to it (not to mention it's way cheaper!). Bondo will stick to it, it sands down just fine, and when it's properly primed and painted it stands up to moisture just fine.

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

You don't have to fiberglass the costume. It will need to be strengthened beyond just paper though. If you just want a costume to use once, go ahead and reinforce it with cardboard or find the sticky that references the hot glue method. Fiberglassing the costume will allow it to go through much harder use (IE, you can wear it out and about several times).

Something else I've been testing is no-grit spray on truck bed liner (whew! long name!). The stuff I've been playing with, when properly applied, is 5x the strength of steel (or so the product claims). In my test run it's most definitely durable! My only concern is the moisture warping unsealed paper. A new water sealant spray should fix that though... I'll let you know when I'm done.

If you don't what to use Fiberglass you can use plastic resin: SmoothOn's SoothCast 300 or 325. Easier, and faster just cost a little more but will fill every spot inside and will give you better physical properties.

See my link below my sig: Video Tutorial - Casting Plastic into Pepakura

JediStumpy said:
If you don't what to use Fiberglass you can use plastic resin: SmoothOn's SoothCast 300 or 325. Easier, and faster just cost a little more but will fill every spot inside and will give you better physical properties.

See my link below my sig: Video Tutorial - Casting Plastic into Pepakura

This works SOOOOOOOO well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back