Respirator Scams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahu

Jr Member
Hello Everybody!

I remember the first time Ive browsed this site, full of excitment and directly wanted to go to the closest department store and buy everything to get my hands dirty :)

Back then, before I moved out to the country, I lived in a pretty thight Neighbourhood, I will soon tell you why this brings problems.

I had read almost all the safety tutorials on this forum, and that you should prio a more expensive Respirator than a cheap one, why? Because if you buy a cheap one you might

end up with the experience I had.

Where I lived by then, we werent many. We were about 8000 inhabitants, but we lived closed to a quite big city in Sweden with over 200 000 inhabitants, only 10 kilometers away.

Back then, I had no clue what department store that might sell respirators. I really thought of what kind of stores I had available. I could only think of one actually that sold what

I needed, so I went there.

Even if it is one of the cheapest chain of stores there are in Sweden, I didnt knew of any one else that had Respirators, Fiberglass woven and Fiberglass Resin. The store is called "Biltema".

I bought an A1 class mask, that should resist organic Vapors and Fumes. The Fumes that comes from Fiberglass Resin is organic, that I knew. And the Respirator costed me 20,44 dollars, and it was the

only Respirator they had, and it was their own brand.

Excited, I came home and started to Resin outside, when I was done I put my pep works in my garage, that has 2 doors garage to my house, and the Resin smelled really awful when I took off my respirator. When I was in, after I had took off my working clothes, the upper part of my house starts to smell Resin, quite much. It did that over a night, and I hoped it would go away, and it was gone the next day.

I maybe resined a total of 5-6 times, (it didnt smell in my house more than 2 times total, and I sleep on the lower part of my house). Then, I thought that my mask might had leaked, so I went to

Biltema to get it changed, and the guys there knew nothing of it, and I got it changed. When I came home, I resined maybe 1-2 times, and I could really feel the smell through my mask, and I got anxious, because I had read on the 405th that if you can smell it, its dangerous. My first mask hadent smelled, so that one actually worked. I started to ask my family about it, and the 405th by making a thread with a pic of my respirator, no harm they said.

I was still afraid though, I wouldnt let it go, so I didnt resin anything more after that. Instead, I called Biltema´s headquartes and asked them about my Respirator, and that I could smell it through, with changed filters and all ( I had bought new filters in between). The guy in the phone said "Its not the smell that is toxic, and the mask will protect you against those fumes, even though you can smell it". Yeah, sure (irony).

I didnt resin anything more, instead Ive started to grind my helmet. And I was wearing the respirator at that time, and I thinked it worked by then, but I was adviced to use a normal white dustmask, because one told me that a Respirator wont protect you against dust. Somehow, I felt that it was, and only used a dust mask once, no more after that, just my respirator.

Because I got so afraid of the Resin smell, my father told me to stop with that crap if you think it is going to hurt you. I said that I wont take any more risks, and one of my best friends, that

I actually met here on the 405th got very sad of my decesion. But, safety first, whatever it takes.

Now, quite along time ago, Im still browsing the 405th, and I still love it. I started to long after building armor. This Autumn, I moved to a quite big house, with outside houses you could work in, I thought. But in my backhead, I always remembered the smell of resin, like it meant death for me.

I started researching, and found another shop, not far from Biltema that had both a crappy respirator, like Biltema had, and another one that was made from "MSA (Mine Safety "Something), made in Peninsylvia. Today, I asked the personal about it, and got a number to the manufactures for it, and a Wholesaler of Respirators, Im not sure if it was a private company number though. Anyway, I thanked the personal and went home to call them (the MSA mask costed 48,01 dollars with A2 Filters, notice A2).

I called them, and got to a company called Procurator, a Wholesaler of Respirators. I talked to what I think was a Technican, that worked with Respirators. I asked if A2 filters had the same effect that A1 filters had. He told me that it had, and A2 Filters had thicker Carbon filter and lasted longer, that´s good, I thought. I asked him about "Polyester" that Fiberglass Resin is called in Sweden, and if an A2 filter would protect against that. If said the company that sells you the Polyester could had put any substance in that liquid, because Polyester isnt an Element, he couldnt answer. But he told me to Call Biltema and ask what they got in their Polyester, then I could call back, because they are guilty by law to tell what toxic substances that are in what they sell.

I called Biltema Headquartes Customer Service, and talked to a guy and got a really long document, then I looked at it while I was in the phone with this support guy, and I said "Here it says that it contains 41-45 % Styrene, whats the other 55 %? "Ah, thats a combination of Hydrocarbons that isnt toxic" Well, ok then and I called back to Procurator.

I told him what Biltemas Service guy had said, 41-45 % Styrene and he said that the MSA Respirator would be a full support if youre working with that. And he told me how long the filters lasted, and some other information. Then I told him that the Biltema guy wouldnt tell me what that 55 % was, "what? Thats quite strange" he said, but he couldnt do anything about it. Then I told him about the crappy Biltema Respirator I had, and that it smelled through. "It shouldnt" he said, "Through this MSA mask you should not be able to smell, and if you could then the Filters are overfilled".

At this point, I was ?"!"¤="#%(#). He explained very good , and told me how to mesure concentration and such. I thanked him and ended the conversation.

Mask.jpg

[Above] = The hopefully good MSA Respirator

Mask2.jpg

[Above] = Biltema Crappy Respirator

Earlier this day, I went to Biltema to do some research. I went to Customer Service instantly, where there were 5 Biltema personal, and asked one "Do you have anything to use with Fiberglass to make it harden that is not toxic? (I thought of Aqua Resin)" "No, sorry, ask the guy over there, he knows". The guy I was pointed to talk with was one quite old guy, that seemed to know most about that than anyone else there knew (quite a little, with other words). I asked the same question, and he said "No, but we got Polyester here, and with a Respirator". "You know, I had 2 of your masks + new filters and they leak." "You dont know where they sell non-toxic material" "No, I dont know if they do that in Sweden". "Ok, if you were working with Polyester, what Respirator would you use then?".

"Well, Im a bit of the older generation, Im not that safe (its easier to understand in Swedish, he meant that he dont use any kind of respirator at all, he continued: ) My dad did alot with Polyester, and he got to be 85! But my daughter recently died in Cancer, and we still dont know the reason for that" I asked: "Im using my Respirator as a protection while I grind, maybe its overfilled due to that ( even though I really didnt think it was because of that)". "Well, you should use a Respirator for that, a dust mask wont work. Its fiberglass dust that is the most dangerous, the body cant break that down". "Ok then... Bye!"

I went over to the other Store that had one crappy and 2 good masks. They had a whole catalog with Respirators and masks, and told me to call Procurator. And the Personal woman said "You shouldnt take that cheap mask, I dont think its that good".

At this point, at the evening. I thought, seriously, how much is your life worth, if you cant spend your money on a real Respirator, rather than some rubber crap. In my sitation, I thought this Respirator was the only one that existed in my city, but if I ever start making armor again, then I buy that expensive one with joy. Like you see, Biltema Customer Service tricked me, how much did that Biltema guy really know about his own Respirator?! He maybe was just reading out of a pre-written paper, who knows. I hope I got some people to think about the safety of their sitation, and that you rather prio safety before an extra Pizza.

If it were possible, by Moderators, that you could make some kind of ban list of unserious Safety equiment companies. If, then I bring out the first one, Biltema, Never buy any safety equiment from there.

/Tahu

Wow, I'm really glad that you questioned them so thoroughly. Safety is definitely one of the most important things to consider when making armor, or anything really. You always have to be careful when you mess with this stuff. Resin is toxic (unless you are using Aqua-Resin), and fiberglass dust can catch in you lungs. When I'm trying to save some money, I'll try to buy cheaper materials, but I NEVER buy cheaper safety equipment. I always try to do as much research as I can on safety products and equipment. And a respirator is really important. In fact, probably the most important thing when working with the kinds of materials that we do.

Like you, I had shopped around at a few local stores, trying to find a respirator. The first few people I asked pointed me over to the plain dust masks. I asked if they had anything better, and they said "No, this is all we have here."

I didn't buy anything at first, but kept looking. Later, I found a respirator that said it would block toxic fumes, vapors, and dust. And it was much more expensive than the others! It had exchangable filters so that I could replace them later. At first I was still skepticle, but I bought it deciding that I could try it out. When I got home, I test fitted it, making sure it had a tight seal around my face. I also made sure that the filters were locked into place. I could breath through the respirator, with only a little trouble. It did not restrict my airflow too much, but if I tried to run or needed to breathe heavily it would be hard. When I opened my can of resin, and started resining my first piece of armor, I was amazed that I could not smell a thing, I was breathing clean air. Once I had finished, I walked away and pulled off my respirator and instantly I could smell the resin, it was horrible. Luckily I was outside, and only got a small whiff. After that, I ALWAYS use my respirator when resining, fiberglassing, sanding, or bondoing. Even if something shouldn't be toxic, and I'm worried about it, I wear my respirator.

Safety always comes first. You might not get hurt right away by it, but in 5 to 10 years, you could be suffering from the long term side effects. Eventually, it could even kill you.

Yeah, Safety comes always first. I am currently looking for some kind of non-toxic resin, if sold in Europe. Also, I am thinking of how to minimize my "Resining Time", by trying to Resin as much parts as possible at the same time, instead of doing the procedure of each part.

/All the Best

Tahu

Hello All,

Yes safety is a big concern for me and friends. I get my fiber-glassing supplys from fiberglast. I don't know if they ship to Sweden.

here is what I use, only difference is that mine is 8 years old and is black in color.

00350_large.jpg

Data sheet found here

Stilgar

Biltema has some good stuff, and then some veeeeery bad stuff. Cheap can be good sometimes, but never EVER buy cheap safety. I got my respirator at that other swedish hardware store, and haven't had any problems.

Hmm. I noticed you said you were resining in your house? Not to shift the blame from Biltema (You shouldn't have smelled it, anyway), but you should resin outside, or at least under a fume hood. Then, if your respirator does fail, you've at least got the open air or a ventilation system to let the fumes disperse more quickly and safely.

As a note, it seems 3M brand respirators are the most common, and apparently safest respirators. They're also pretty reasonable, as far as cost goes. Like $40 US. If that's the cost of my lungs, god, I'll take it.

Really, anything involving your safety is something you shouldn't skimp on. If it's the most expensive, single part of the project, cut everything else.

I'm glad you questioned the involved so thoroughly. I'm also glad you put this here, so no one ever compromises themselves like that again. I hope you didn't screw yourself over.

No, no, please dont get me wrong on this. I did Not Resin in my house, that would have been madness, and a safety concern for my whole family then!

What I did do, was tha I was always outside resining, BUT I had to put it to dry in my garage, because of the Neighbourhood. And we got 2 doors between my house and my garage, and it smelled through. The doors from the garage lead to the upper floor, and we are all sleeping on the lower floor.

Also, keep in mind, that Biltemas Resin is more smellier than other companies resin. My Respirator worked most of the times, but when I went to change filters and get a new one, thats when things screwed up.

All the best

/Tahu

Sorry for double post, but this is about something else.

Silent Viper, what is the name where you bought your Respirator? I was thinking of the MSA from Jula, even though their stuff

is low-quality too, their Respirators aint. Because its not their own brand, and by that, they take quite more money for it.

Best Regards

/Tahu

SchizophrenicMC said:

Or, more specifically, Bionicle, but that series is discontinued.

I've yet to see one of these ShamWow-esque respirators in the US, but it sucks that companies are willing to sell that stuff anywhere. Hopefully you have better luck in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImaGonnaGetYou said:
I've yet to see one of these ShamWow-esque respirators in the US, but it sucks that companies are willing to sell that stuff anywhere. Hopefully you have better luck in the future.

This may be a waste of a post, but as soon as I read your post, the Sham-Wow commercial came on... :eek

Anyways, this gave me a lot to think about believe it or not. I'll admit I don't always use a respirator... and damn do I use a lot of chemicals. Nice information.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Or, more specifically, Bionicle, but that series is discontinued.

But Tahu just got re-released, along with Takanuva. Redux may or may not be a good thing.

I'm picking up a new respirator this Saturday, actually. A $40 3M one. I plan to do some glassing while the weather's relatively warm in Dallas. Though, with this rain, it may drop significantly.

Me myself, is going to order Jesmonite (Brittish Aqua Resin) from the UK, its non-toxic + buy a 40 dollar Respirator from MSA for grinding/sanding.

Im glad that my respirator worked most of the times, and that I found a way to continue with 405th :)

All the best

/Tahu

Tahu said:
Sorry for double post, but this is about something else.

Silent Viper, what is the name where you bought your Respirator? I was thinking of the MSA from Jula, even though their stuff

is low-quality too, their Respirators aint. Because its not their own brand, and by that, they take quite more money for it.

Best Regards

/Tahu

Yes, the MSA from Jula. Though they just cost 15 Dollars (99 NOK), their filter work marvelously. I use their respirators every time I resin, and I only smell the resin when I take the Respirator off when I am done. ;)

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Yes, the MSA from Jula. Though they just cost 15 Dollars (99 NOK), their filter work marvelously. I use their respirators every time I resin, and I only smell the resin when I take the Respirator off when I am done. ;)

Being on the look-out for a decent respirator in Sweden myself, I felt I had to ask since I am curious...

Was it really the MSA mask, and not the BlueWear mask that you bought?

The BlueWear mask costs NOK 99 (same in SEK in Sweden) while the MSA mask costs NOK 229. It seems like the MSA mask doesn't include filters, but on the other hand it seems like it is for both fumes and dust, while the BlueWear is for just fumes.

Have you used the mask you got while sanding, or just for resining?

Well, since I did quite alot of research after this, I know quite some about it.

The MSA mask cost 229 kronor + filters 139 kronor, and it has a A2 Filter, A stands for that it can take organic fumes and solvent, the number is how packed the Carbon inside is, higher number is better and will last longer.

The Bluewear mask cost about 99 kronor or 129 kronor, it is Jula´s own brand, and I havent tried it, but it looks like Biltemas but in another colour. It has a A1 filter, and I dont know if any of either the MSA mask or Bluewear will take dust. But I think wearing a respirator when grinding is better than not wearing, I wore a Biltema one when I was grinding, but I am not sure it holded 100%.

But I wouldnt reccommend the Bluewear, rather the MSA. As I said, how much is your safety worth?

Best Regards,

/Tahu

AceHigh said:
Being on the look-out for a decent respirator in Sweden myself, I felt I had to ask since I am curious...

Was it really the MSA mask, and not the BlueWear mask that you bought?

The BlueWear mask costs NOK 99 (same in SEK in Sweden) while the MSA mask costs NOK 229. It seems like the MSA mask doesn't include filters, but on the other hand it seems like it is for both fumes and dust, while the BlueWear is for just fumes.

Have you used the mask you got while sanding, or just for resining?

I stand corrected. I meant the BlueWear mask. But even though it's their cheapest one, it still works wonderfully with fumes. When I sand I just use a regular dust mask.

The Bluewear mask might work as you said, but the Biltema guy that was about 55 years old that I was talking to, he seemed to know quite some about it though.

Both he and his father had worked alot with Polyester, and told me that if youre sanding Fiberglass + harderned Resin, and inhale fiberglass dust, your body wont be able to break it down. This seem pretty resonable because the only way your body could get rid of crap that got into it is to solve it with water. Or it will stock up in your body, in fat tissues. And according to him a normal dust mask wont hold tight, while you need some rubber (like the one from a respirator) around to keep it tight.

I must talk to Procurator about this next time I call them, since they seem to know what they are doing.

Stay Safe,

/Tahu

Well if there's one thing here in the US that OSHA is good for is safety equipment standards. If it ain't OSHA certified don't buy it lol.

Also you know to check the respirator right the breathe and blow test put your hand over all of the places air can come in (the filter cartridge holes and the exhale valve) then breathe in if you can't suck air in through the sides the respirator has a good fit.

It seems that you have the same respirator rating standards in Sweden as we do in the UK. Did you say that yours was an 'A1' grade? Mine is rated as 'A2' and it works fine, you can't smell anything with it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back