Restoring a small piece of history

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordhood32

So, I don’t think this is where this goes, mods feel free to move this where it needs to be,

Anyhow a family member inherited a Mosin-Nagant from their grand father and left the poor girl in a closet to rust and be forgotten by time, I’m currently attempting to restore her

050E6C02-F5E3-4644-AA84-33B447E5EC3C.jpeg

She was in a pretty bad state before I got to her, her bayonet was rusted into the barrel, actually everything was rusted together and had to use a lot of blacksmithing knowledge to even break the rust

As she sits now
68D2D754-D236-480C-8936-9B4230FEB173.jpeg
9CD27805-CF20-4F70-9005-CB86AB31D263.jpeg
27CF6AB9-E096-412E-ACA0-AAB6D3EBF5A0.jpeg
E2E0D446-71CE-4AE2-AA14-384BC7E78064.jpeg
CE03872C-FB8C-481D-B82A-0A7336E089B5.jpeg
121D60C4-F9DB-459F-9CD2-E1C7DB953253.jpeg

I got her to cycle, removed a majority of the rust that I could, the bayonet is now removeable and foldable , all the parts move freely and I have polish wheels on next day delivery, I still need to sand down the stock and give her a new coat of stain and clear coat, her sling needs to be hand washed and the leather sling mounts need to be oiled and retreated but this girl was made in 1945 by her stamp, I am not letting this girl go quietly into the night, I’ll be doing some sanding on her later today after I get some rest as of posting this it’s 1:16am eastern

Hood out, will post updates

Awesome!
was this improvement just from sanding? or what else did you do?
also awesome to see im not the only one still playing guitar hero on PS2 (is that ps2? Edit:looks like it)

Years ago when we were teaching people to shoot we'd start them off with the mosin. Those were the good days! Haha

Years ago when we were teaching people to shoot we'd start them off with the mosin. Those were the good days! Haha
They are amazingly Durable rifles, all the neglect and caked rust and gun powder that was in that rifle, after half a bottle of gun oil and gun lube, a douse in vinegar and coke followed by more oil that girl was singing, As for home defense, the sound of the bolt of a mosin's not gonna make them turn away, the sound of me racking my 12 gauge does the trick though

Edit Finally got the video to work

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
A mosin is a Terrible choice for home defense. If you fired it in an urban setting the bullet would travel through walls for days. The number of lawsuits you'd be up against would cost you your house, and what if you hit a friendly neighbor or somebody next door? What a terrible, tragic thing.

Good be better off with a shotgun loaded with bbs, which up close is a very powerful tool, but after the pellets hit a wall they slow down and I'd be surprised if they did more than that.

Best policy overall is to lock your doors and windows and get a mean sounding dog. But definitely have backup just in case.

A mosin is a Terrible choice for home defense. If you fired it in an urban setting the bullet would travel through walls for days. The number of lawsuits you'd be up against would cost you your house, and what if you hit a friendly neighbor or somebody next door? What a terrible, tragic thing.

Good be better off with a shotgun loaded with bbs, which up close is a very powerful tool, but after the pellets hit a wall they slow down and I'd be surprised if they did more than that.

Best policy overall is to lock your doors and windows and get a mean sounding dog. But definitely have backup just in case.
That’s is why I said I have a 12 gauge, also have a Taurus Judge, with 410 birdshot chambered in the cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back