Reviving a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

macktruck

I suspect many people here have played Fallout 3, New Vegas or Fallout 4.
I always wanted to do something crazier then most people.
There are a few people who do power armor suits like the Raider power armor or the X-01 power armor and typically its a little rough.
I've been wanting to do a power armor frame. This is significantly harder because there is much more detail in the frame then the smooth curves of the armor.
So, I found this excellent model a couple weeks ago.
So.... how crazy am I?

How do I go about sizing this correctly?
How much and what type filament should buy?
How many pieces with a 8x8x7 inch printer?
Should I make a mold and recast it in resin?

If I had to guess, based on the small print size, you are looking at least up to 100 pieces. As far as the type of filament goes, I read that polycarbonate is the strongest as far as being impact resistant. If you can't afford that, ABS is your next best thing, but you have to vent the toxic fumes outside.

You should only make a mold only if you planning on making multiple copies of the parts. But eventually you will have to use a resin for that part of the process. You can use urethane resin from Smooth on which is impact resistant enough to survive a 3 story drop from the roof.

As far as sizing it to fit your body, to make it easier, you will have to import it into Armorsmith. It's a program that takes the measurements of your body and you can fit the parts over your body. Outside of that, you have to measure your body parts, size them up in your slicer of choice and then print them out one by one.

+1 on the armor and its actually pretty good for 3d printing stuff. best money I've spent on a program solely used for cosplay. and to help with the pieces count, I made a adult halo helmet, in pieces and man it was a pain but did 2 each helmet was about 12 pieces not including the visor.

also unless you have a super high quality printer, you still have alot of post processing that you could just barely get by with just to ware, but if you want to mold it understand it will come out of the mold just as good or BAD as you finished it print lines and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back