Revolutionary New Way To Finish Pep Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is fantastic. As in, I had a fantasy that there was a method this simple, but never figured it out on my own.

Question: in your pictures, it looks like you're using fiberglass cloth, but your description says fiberglass mat. I just tried it with fiberglass mat, and the results were not as pretty as yours. I'm guessing you really meant cloth.

Thank you a thousand times over for thinking of this, trying it, and sharing.

Mikal Nphrno said:
This is fantastic. As in, I had a fantasy that there was a method this simple, but never figured it out on my own.

Question: in your pictures, it looks like you're using fiberglass cloth, but your description says fiberglass mat. I just tried it with fiberglass mat, and the results were not as pretty as yours. I'm guessing you really meant cloth.

Thank you a thousand times over for thinking of this, trying it, and sharing.

very sorry, where im from and even the package (off brand company) states that the cloth as it is, is in fact called mat. my apologies but i use, and do much suggest using fiberglass cloth

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an AWESOME tutorial! I want to make an EOD helmet like this.

...Too bad I can't start another helmet while I'm here. **shakes fist at the government for creating such a lousy place**

Queen said:
This is an AWESOME tutorial! I want to make an EOD helmet like this.

...Too bad I can't start another helmet while I'm here. **shakes fist at the government for creating such a lousy place**

lol, i have no idea where that is, but more power to you when you get back to where the government lets u pep

Tandhem said:
lol, i have no idea where that is, but more power to you when you get back to where the government lets u pep

I'm stuck just north of Chicago in a Naval training station. It kinda sucks because I've already been here for a year, and my first helmet is STILL not done because I can't work on it here. I don't even care if it's awful. I just wanna finish the damn thing with my cheapo materials. >__< /endwhine

Tandhem said:
very sorry, where im from and even the package (off brand company) states that the cloth as it is, is in fact called mat. my apologies but i use, and do much suggest using fiberglass cloth

Dammit, I was HOPING so badly you meant mat because I guess the way it looks now is no matter which method you use, matting just turns out ugly and jaggged =(. It's also been said that mat is a little stronger than cloth apparently.. but who knows. I've been using matting for about a year now on every fiberglassing job I've done.. looks like I'll probably be switching over to matting.

Today i tried this on a large scale, on my fallout 3 helmet and it worked wonderful BUT i had modefied it a little bit, I hate to mess with the cloth and i got the WONDERFUL IDEE of using spray glue to glue all the cloth to the pepakura first and then pour the resin over it.........yeah.... it seemed to work out fine until it had harden and i saw that because i had glued it down the resin didn not soak thru the cloth and did not stick to the pepakura on some places :(

Im mad on my stupidness, but i have learned a good lesson and will make a new helmet (the fourth one :( )

Maybe i can contribute to the weapon dilemma? Maybe we could use hot glue to put the shees on two halves of the weapon then glue the halves together and punch a hole in it and slushcast the mixture in it. i dont see how it would create any problems and might let people make light cost weapons.

While this is a good Tut, and I thank you for it, this is not revolutionary... Ithica, ben streeper, myself, and many, many others have been using this technique for some time. I think it's been a trade secret and you just made it public. By no means am I speaking ill of the work you've done, or the process. So once again I thank you for actually doing a tut on this subject because I think, this subject is well over due and needed the attention.

Newspartancreator said:
While this is a good Tut, and I thank you for it, this is not revolutionary... Ithica, ben streeper, myself, and many, many others have been using this technique for some time. I think it's been a trade secret and you just made it public. By no means am I speaking ill of the work you've done, or the process. So once again I thank you for actually doing a tut on this subject because I think, this subject is well over due and needed the attention.

because it has been done does not bar the fact that it is revolutionary- because it is. you can make an hd pep suit of armor in a week if you bared down. that is revolutionary. this is the reason i did not put "My" at the beginning of the thread title. I did stumble upon it myself, and had no prior knowledge of anyone else doing it, but i know someone else would try to claim it. im sorry you guys kept it a secret, but is that what this forum is all about? im glad to take credit for letting everyone know of this new way to finish pep pieces, and i dont think one should be allowed to enter and claim it as their method with no proof. and even if proof is brought forward, why did they not share with this wonderful community?

Newspartancreator said:

Tandhem said:
im sorry you guys kept it a secret, but is that what this forum is all about? ... why did they not share with this wonderful community?

Well, it does after all say right at the top of the screen "Yes, We're Elitists!" doesn't it? It really does seem counter-intuitive to have a site all about helping people to do this themselves and yet keep secrets about the best ways to do it. Kinda makes you wonder what other useless steps are involved in the taught process or what other 'trade secret' BS is reserved for the 'good ol boys club' doesn't it?

Omega7 said:
I have to try this on my ODST peices once I get find some new latex gloves.

super cheap for a box of 100 at any hardware or paint store :)

Newspartancreator said:

Agreed, I also do pretty much the same thing as well, and I am fairly certain there are several other threads that also have pieces made the same way and the method is visible in the pics. Doesn't take away from the fact that the person here has done things the smart way, but folks should realize that this isnt really anything new under the sun.

Drgnfyre4 said:
Agreed, I also do pretty much the same thing as well, and I am fairly certain there are several other threads that also have pieces made the same way and the method is visible in the pics. Doesn't take away from the fact that the person here has done things the smart way, but folks should realize that this isnt really anything new under the sun.

it is not new to these people that used this method, but new to the general population of the 405th? i think so..

Tandhem said:
super cheap for a box of 100 at any hardware or paint store :)

Yeah, like 3 bucks at Riteaid, my problem is that my wife took my bankcard with her to seattle. And left me without any cash.. DOH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back