Rivets in Rondo ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR4296

Jr Member
Have any of you guys used rivets in joining two rondoed pieces together?

I tried it briefly this morning, before rushing in to my day-job for my 12-hour shift.

I was basically trying to attach one of War Machine's Hand Plates to one of his Gauntlets. Pre-drilled my hole. Stuck a rivet in there. Started tightening... and *snap*... the area of the hand plate between the hole and the edge of the piece gave way.

I was planning on using rivets to do a lot of my connections....especially ones involving parts that might move a lot, such as attachments of suspenders or belts to the hips, knees, etc.

But now I'm thinking that may not work. My only past experience with rivets and costuming have been to hold together posterboard glued-over with styrene plastic. And with that project, they worked very well.

Now, I'm wondering if every time I try to rivet two pieces together, the surrounding rondo is going to give way. ??

I would steer away and here's why. The way a rivet works is that as you pump the handle you're causing the actual metal of the rivet to expand. While rondo has directional strength for straight on stuff it is still a brittle medium. That force from the rivet has to go somewhere and since Bondo wont bend it will relieve the pressure by cracking and breaking.

Yeah, rivets are a bad idea. You could embed bolts into the spots where you planned on putting rivets but you have to do that when you are putting on the rondo. However, I think you would still run into problems with it breaking due to shear forces when wearing the suit.

Are you using rivets? or pop or speed rivets? theres a big difference there. i wouldnt suggest pop or traditional rivets for this material, its too brittle for that. Speed rivets should work.

this is a question sort of related to the original post.
What about Rondo plus Fiberglass matte? or Mudglassing? Would it still crack?

Hmmm.... okay, I was using pop-rivets. So now I'm wondering how I'm going to connect my various rondo'd pieces.

I mean, my only previous experience was working with styrene over craft foam and posterboard. So, I've got about 60-70% of my War Machine's pieces rondo'd. The next major step (besides getting those hand plates connected) is to connect this stuff. So, I was going to dig into my stash of pieces of belts, suspenders, and industrial-strength velcro. But I learned through past experience that the velcro's sticky backing just won't hold in some situations (like when attached to a styrene part that may move a lot).

I have the sneaking suspicion that that sticky backing won't stick to rondo very well. Which is why I thought I'd just put a couple of rivets in it, to hold it in place. But, thanks to your feedback, I won't be going down that road.

My mind next travels to using bolts, which some of you have mentioned. (Plus, I had read some info in another thread where somebody was connecting War Machine's chest and back with bolts as well.)

So, I'm thinking either bolts aren't the best idea either.... or, at the very least, I'd better use some rather wide washers for all of my connections.

(I think if I ever make an armor-like costume again, I'm throwing rondo out the window. A modified version of the method I used with my Robocop build.... styrene over foam over posterboard.... but, this time, with rivets for all major connections. I think I'd end up with something quite similar to what that MasterLee guy did.)

Still, my mind now is on the near future: I have to have War Machine finished by the 23rd, preferably the day before! So, what do you all typically use to attach and strap your various rondo'd parts ??

Thanks VERY MUCH for your feedback! I do honestly appreciate the help.

I used industrial velcro, hotglued to the Rondo. Hasn't come loose yet. For my knee pads, I sowed and glued the velcro to my undersuit. It suprisingly doesn't wobble and even come off as I expected. Works great in my opinion :p
goodluck for the 23rd deadline, alot of stress especially with Halloween coming around.

I have seen people use "1 inch Aluminum Bookbinder Chicago Screws & Posts(100 sets): (To fasten the Groin pieces to the belt) Price: $13.50"

That was from the complete noob list thread

They would probably work if you super glued one of the heads to the underside of your piece , drilled a hole in the second one, and then screwed it from under the second piece to couple with the superglued post.

Just an idea, and a vet may be able to confirm or deny the merits of this.

Velcro

I used industrial velcro, hotglued to the Rondo. Hasn't come loose yet. For my knee pads, I sowed and glued the velcro to my undersuit. It suprisingly doesn't wobble and even come off as I expected. Works great in my opinion :p
goodluck for the 23rd deadline, alot of stress especially with Halloween coming around.

Ah, thanks for that info! Maybe I'm selling Velcro too short too soon. Your idea about sewing the velcro into the undersuit itself is cool one! I'll have to keep that one in mind!

Thanks!

I have seen people use "1 inch Aluminum Bookbinder Chicago Screws & Posts(100 sets): (To fasten the Groin pieces to the belt) Price: $13.50"

That was from the complete noob list thread

They would probably work if you super glued one of the heads to the underside of your piece , drilled a hole in the second one, and then screwed it from under the second piece to couple with the superglued post.

Just an idea, and a vet may be able to confirm or deny the merits of this.

Wow, I've never seen anything quite like those before. (pic for other folks' reference = http://i39.tinypic.com/2556erm.jpg)

Would Lowe's or Home Depot or Harbor Freight have those? Can't say I've ever run across those at my local Ace Hardware.

Thanks for the info!

They aren't really a hardware item, they are more used in book binding and scrapbooking. I would check at an local area scrapbook stores, a Michael's or a Walmart (Not positive they will have them). I know for a fact that Target has a couple of them.

One thing I was thinking was that you need to make sure that it's one that will be no larger than the size of the two pieces of armor you're putting together.

Another thought I had was on how strong it would be... My previous comment about super gluing may not be a perfect solution. The more I think about it the more I think you'd be better off just having it go through both pieces of armor. If you can incorporate the look of it to where it doesn't take away from the authentic look of your armor I'd say go for it.

72017_450019434268_639024268_5139658_4092454_n.jpg

If you did something like this to where you started at your pep stage, incorporated a washer, and then bondo'd over it, I would say that would make it sturdy enough. Anbody else have ideas?

They aren't really a hardware item, they are more used in book binding and scrapbooking. I would check at an local area scrapbook stores, a Michael's or a Walmart (Not positive they will have them). I know for a fact that Target has a couple of them.

One thing I was thinking was that you need to make sure that it's one that will be no larger than the size of the two pieces of armor you're putting together.

Another thought I had was on how strong it would be... My previous comment about super gluing may not be a perfect solution. The more I think about it the more I think you'd be better off just having it go through both pieces of armor. If you can incorporate the look of it to where it doesn't take away from the authentic look of your armor I'd say go for it.

72017_450019434268_639024268_5139658_4092454_n.jpg

If you did something like this to where you started at your pep stage, incorporated a washer, and then bondo'd over it, I would say that would make it sturdy enough. Anbody else have ideas?

Well, I may have to skip the "bondoing over it" part... for everything except the legs. That's how far done I am right now.

OK, Target has 'em, eh? And they're a scrapbooking item? How strange. I hope they're as strong as hardware store screws / bolts?

I'm not sure about how strong they will be for the armor, but as far as book binding is concerned, I've never had one break. They use them whenever they are fastening groin pieces to utility belts.

Also, I just went into work, and no, we don't have them at Target. I know we had them, and when I looked them up they've been "discontinued" meaning Target no longer carries them. So! Best bet is going to be online or at a craft/scrapbook store!

The only way I could see it possibly working, is if you molded some metal washers into the Rondo, that way the washers would provide some solid support.

I'm thinking, though, if the vets are using it to secure groin pieces to belts, surely things in that range of motion would require some good security. I'm guessing it HAS worked for people, I'm just not sure I've read up enough on the subject to be an expert, and I've certainly never tried it. Any vets watching this thread that care to comment?

It occurred to me this morning that I have some fiberglass cloth that I bought.... just to possibly try out on a part or two. But I haven't touched it yet. In the interest of speed, I've been rondoing everything (not to mention that cutting and placing fiberglass strips in all the nooks and crannies of some of the pieces didn't sound like much fun).

So....... maybe I can identify exactly where I want to use bolts or screws and then reinforce the insides of my pieces at those points with squares of fiberglass... THEN drill my holes and add my bolts or screws. (Heck, it might even stand up to pop-rivets then, I'm guessing?) Just theorizing, here. I haven't ever used fiberglass cloth yet.

Well, while you're in there, you could always go ahead and secure a washer in between the two pieces of fiberglass.You'll have your original from the pep, add a washer, then add a square of fiberglass that extends past the washer onto the original pep. Resin it, Drill your hole, and you should be golden!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back