ROBOCOP Helmet Build - "Your Move Creep..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth

Hey Everyone.
I wanted to try something different for a change. I'm no amazing sculptor, that's for sure but I wanted to practice more and get better at it over time.
I really enjoy it and I can do it for hours and it doesn't feel like a chore.

I'm tired of pepping. I want to bring things back to the ol' school.

I had some old crappy oil-based clay, an old head form to sculpt on and this happened all of a sudden.
I couldn't stop myself from making a ROBOCOP helmet.
One of my Childhood Heroes

The clay was very soft and difficult to work with (Klean Klay) in terms of getting smooth. I didn't really want to start over with my other clay I had. (Monster Makers).

Plus, my weak sculpting skills at this point.

So, I had to create a "waste" mold to get a couple casts out so that I could sand those down and get them the way I want them.

The plus side; I didn't need to buy anything to build it to this point so far.
I had the materials already from a while back. :thumbsup

I made a video to show some progress so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow great sculpt! how long did it take you?
i always find sculpting from scratch a daunting task :p which is why i love the pep pour clay method so much :D

I worked on it a little every night for a few hours after work. I'd say on and off for a little over a week. I got lazy to mold but I got to it eventually a week later (holiday laziness)

Thanks for looking guys.

Awesome job Stealth. It looks great. So whats the plan now? Will you be fine tunning and then remolding? I know a lot of people that sulpt helmets and such like to get the sculpt to a certain point then create a hard casting and fine tune it to get it perfect. Either ways it looks great.

Tony

Sorry Stealth, I guess I should read fully, looks like you already answered my questions.

Yeah, this is super cool. Are you doing helmet only or are you going to do it up full armor style?

Awesome job Stealth. It looks great. So whats the plan now? Will you be fine tunning and then remolding? I know a lot of people that sulpt helmets and such like to get the sculpt to a certain point then create a hard casting and fine tune it to get it perfect. Either ways it looks great.

Tony

Sorry Stealth, I guess I should read fully, looks like you already answered my questions.

Yeah, this is super cool. Are you doing helmet only or are you going to do it up full armor style?

Thanks guys :)

That's ok Tony. You guys pretty much nailed what I am doing/planning/attempting any way.

The thing is, I find it impossible to sand right now since it's winter.
I am planning a move to attempt the torso. I would like to create a suit from waste molds.

I'm not really thinking of selling anything really. (in regards to quality of molds/casts)
I don't really want to be sidetracked if someone ends up actually wanting something from this.
I really would like to finish this by end of this fall.

The issue is the body form. I need to make a rigid one now of my body, so I can sculpt the torso over that to my size.
Once I can figure that out, I can start to sculpt the torso.

Until then, I may begin to sculpt parts like the shoes.

Thanks for checking the build out so far. I appreciate it.
glad to see some Nostalgic Robocop Fans around still ;)

Thanks so much man.

I remember seeing this exact thing so long ago. I just didn't remember where.

This is actually really doable. I don't need my body details at all, just the proportions.
which is exactly what this does.

This could actually work. I could even do parts separately. Like, neck and Torso, Arms, legs. I don't need everything necessarily attached.
exactly how he did it on his mannequin.

I'd replace the expanding foam he used with Foam-it rigid expanding foam from Smooth-on. Problaby would cost less as it expands more.
I'll keep this in mind as an option

Thanks again!

yeah i used it as a cheap head to sculpt on in my mass effect wip :p
just needa make sure you fill it properly and not get ahead of yourself as i jumped the gun and tried to fill it as quickly as i could and it ended up with pockets without foam in it :p
hope it helps out :)
btw best to use duct tape but i didnt have any so masking tape also works if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back