Rondo or bondo pros/cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bondo is simply body filler out of the can. Its thick, hardens well but can be a bit of b***h to sand. That being said it stays where you put it and is good for building sections up. Rondo however is simply that same bodyfiller mixed with fiberglass resin. The beauty of rondo is that because of the added resin it becomes pourable so its great for slushcasting and filling empty pieces to make them stronger.

What people do with rondo is they pour it inside a resined piece, and spread it around the inside, they then sand off the paper leaving the rondo.

Rondo is great idea, i wish I had thought about using it to slush cast my helmet instead of using casting resin, would have saved me 20 bucks on my helmet.

Something else about rondo is that since it is a liquid, it is self leveling, cures without pits or pinholes, and is fairly smooth. So less sanding to make an area flat, level and smooth. Works great to fill large flat areas.

When rondoing a helmet do I have to put rondo everywheremormjust where i want the
Detail?

If you're using it to reinforce the helmet, it should go everywhere (or whereever you want it to be stronger). If you're using it instead of Bondo, apply it just where you want detail and don't use too much.

on my Steel helmet i want it to open like Ironman's helmet. do i need to cut the face out before or after i bondo it?

it would be neat if you somehow made just the visor open/close like doors do in star trek.

Has anyone tried using smooth cast plastic with the fiber glass cloth? I'm thinking of doing it because last nite while I was sanding my prototype I broke the back of it so I'm going to try the cloth with the liquid plastic. What do u guys think?

Has anyone tried using smooth cast plastic with the fiber glass cloth? I'm thinking of doing it because last nite while I was sanding my prototype I broke the back of it so I'm going to try the cloth with the liquid plastic. What do u guys think?

Keep in mind that the mat-type is held together by some kind of adhesive that dissolves in styrene. That means, once you lay the mat onto the resin, it'll turn into lots of loose fibres, which is usually a good thing when working with tight spaces. The problem is that it won't work with solvent-free resins.

Other than that, I'd be interested to hear if it works :)

Keep it mind I'm new to the paper crafting thing. I'm try new things too lol I have a prototype Steel helmet I made and that's my genie pig lol. I don't know what's in the smooth cast but when u mix the two compounds it heats up so I hope it works wish me luck.

ive not used bondo on its own at all yet. i rondo everything. just really easy to work with IMO, sands easy and is predictable. I also like how its sandable in a short matter of time.

People actually sand all the paper off models they've filled with rondo? I tried that and it took forever to do a tiny piece, you also clog your sandpaper so you go through masses of the stuff. I just can't believe that anyone would truly sand off every bit of paper from a model. Fill it with rondo, then use bondo on the outside to fix details, yes; sand through the paper in some places to get the detail carved in, ok yep; but sand it all off?

You could try using regular cloth, Ive done some repairs on cracked plastic where I used 2 ton epoxy and a little bit of regular cloth. It applies just like fiberglass, just make sure that the epoxy fully covers the cloth. A piece of tape can be added to the opposite side to keep the epoxy from leaking through. They seem to hold up, but im not sure about high stress applications. If you do it, make sure to tell me how it goes.
-Gryphon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back