Rookie building his First ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocSnook

Hey 405th,
Just started my journey. This build may take me a while as I have many projects not related going on simultaneously. I started with an Xcoser ODST Prop helmet, because the cost appeared to be less than building from a foam base after I did the math.
I'm looking to do most of the armor in foam because I haven't yet been sold on a 3d printer, and I will be making the prop weapons gear out of various Nerf and water pistol combos. The whole project is to enhance my fantasy battles with my nieces and nephews, I will update as the project moves forward but until then, here are the first steps

Attachments

• EEDL1028 - Copy.JPG
    EEDL1028 - Copy.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
  • GDWM6672 - Copy.JPG
    GDWM6672 - Copy.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
  • GUMN5509 - Copy.JPG
    GUMN5509 - Copy.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 134
  • WFHO4319 - Copy.JPG
    WFHO4319 - Copy.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 126
  • IAZT2244 - Copy.JPG
    IAZT2244 - Copy.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 116
  • INBV6280 - Copy.JPG
    INBV6280 - Copy.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 124
  • MAJH2059 - Copy.JPG
    MAJH2059 - Copy.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6574 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6574 - Copy.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6575 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6575 - Copy.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_6576 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6576 - Copy.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6577 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6577 - Copy.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6578 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6578 - Copy.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6573 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6573 - Copy.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 130
So are xcoser helms worth it? I mean, Buck here offered to 3d print me one, but is getting an xcoser helmet worth it if i want to get a second armor set?

So are xcoser helms worth it? I mean, Buck here offered to 3d print me one, but is getting an xcoser helmet worth it if i want to get a second armor set?
For me it was a difference of the base Helmet on the Xcoser web site for $80, with the appearance I wanted verses the approx. $120 plus for material before I start the construction of a foam, paper, or 3d printed helmet.
It is a combination of time and money for me. Which may be different for you.
As I mentioned I am new to the 405th. I'm certain that there may be some one out there who can do it for less cost. That being said, you also have to factor how much time you can invest in such a project.
I'm also adding (as shown) my own paint job and insignia, while attempting to magnetize ($7 amazon) the helmet so I can attach it to my belt for non-combat situations, and importing an ACH helmet padding set, ($13 amazon) with chin straps ($20 amazon)
I would be happy to give you an itemized rundown of the items I purchased to build the helmet if that helps.
And if Buck says he can do it, I would trust him.

The winged medic art is pretty neat. What's the bird(?) on the back? I can't quite make it out.

Me too man. I might get an xcoser. Can you give me a design idea for a paintjob? I am going for green and brown armor. Any ideas?
I would go with your favorite color as your highlight and use the other as your base. Pick an design or shape you want to use for your "coat of arms"/insignia.
Play around on paper first, and see what comes natural and/or feels right for you. Color markers on draft paper are great ways to get what you see in your mind out and then you can alter any flaws you might find in your design.

I would go with your favorite color as your highlight and use the other as your base. Pick an design or shape you want to use for your "coat of arms"/insignia.
Play around on paper first, and see what comes natural and/or feels right for you. Color markers on draft paper are great ways to get what you see in your mind out and then you can alter any flaws you might find in your design.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back