Samurai Armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissker

Has anyone seen some peps for Samurai Armor? I thought here first due to 405th becoming the Nerve Center for Pep stuff, and I know that Mother Ship Zeta for Fallout 3 has a Samurai with a near full suit of armor in it, so I was hoping someone might have ported and unfolded his suit. Got a personal project that involves Samurai and it'd be pretty nice to not have to resort to straight metal use for costumes.

Had a mighty wicked dream about armor construction and figured it was just my brain saying "work on your Halloween costume NOW!"

The F3 armour isnt very detailed at all to be honest. The majority of the models impression is carried by the texturing. The body armour, shoulders, shin guards and helm are about the only really usable parts.

My friend today is your lucky day! I am here to tell you you don't need Pep for Samurai armor (although you can use it certainly.) I actually am a member of the SCA (we do medieval reenacting), and my persona is a 16th century Samurai. I learned a lot from this site http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html. It has not only the information on making historically correct armor but also the patterns! You could theoretically rescale the pattern to your size and print it onto card or you can do something even easier....... Find a plastic drum (like a 55 gallon one) and make it out of plastic! My current set of fighting armor is done that way,

DSC02396.jpg

I usually wear a white cowl over the helmet like the warrior monks or Sohei to make it look more Japanese. Hope this helps.

Now that is an unusual assortment of japanese and western european armament and weponry. Is there a reason you mix and match like that? or is it just a personal taste thing?

hellfire said:
Now that is an unusual assortment of japanese and western european armament and weponry. Is there a reason you mix and match like that? or is it just a personal taste thing?

Well actually at that time Europe was trading with Japan, some gear did get swapped. One reason you will see paintings of samurai wearing Spanish conquistador breastplates and a few helmets converted.

Another reason is for safety. The SCA has very strict armor requirements, and some traditional Japanese armor, such as elbow protection, are not legal. We are talking a full contact sport. As for the weapons the first authorization a fighter has to do is Sword and Sheild. Also list legal Samurai Kabudo (or helmet) are very expensive. Hence why I usually cover mine with a cowl. ( it was very hot that day that's why I didn't cover the helm.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. The great thing is that site, Sengokudaimyo, is done by another SCAdian who actually went to Japan to learn the art of making authentic armor, so the patterns and everything there are 100% accurate to what was worn by historical Samurai. If you need any more help let me know, I will see what I can dig up from my old research.

OH and if you need any lacing material or if you want to go really crazy I know where you can find plastic scales to do the scale mail stuff and chain mail as well.

I ripped the dlc samurai armor and helmet. They lack some details, but nothing that can't be scratch built. I think it's a pretty good base for an armor.

A) WOO! SCADIANS!!

And

2) i had found samurai files somewhere online but i cant remember exactly where.

Ill try to see if i cant find them again, and shoot you a link.

But the classic "rain barrel" suit might work better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back