Samuray/dungbeetle Iron Man Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuray

Here's what I've been working on for a few weeks (on and off). There were a few things that I noticed people said that needed to be changed on Dungbeetle's helmet even though we all know it's probably one of the best pepakura files out there. So, I decided to take a whack at it. Here're the changes I made.

- Smaller forehead.

- Braces between the jaw and the faceplate and also on the eyes.

- Connected the neck pieces together on the back.

- Added more neck under the ear pieces.

Here's what I came up with. I used MrOreo's unfold of the Dungbeetle's original helmet as a basis for my unfold.

First some comparisons:

Comparison.png

Comparison2.png

Comparison3.png

Comparison4.png

SamurayDungbeetleMrOreo.png

...And here's the file... Even though you probably want the want that's down below since it's more accurate.

And if you need some stencils for the ear pieces, I got ya covered...

EarStencil.pdo

EDIT: Iron Mang has shown some concern with the fact that my helmet is missing the top most beveled trapezoid from the back of the helmet. I am aware that part exists in the movie, but I felt that it'd be easier to make this part after bondoing. This is because it's about the same depth as the other detail lines on the helmet. Otherwise, you'd either have to build up a piece that was deeper than the movie version or pep a piece that's so skinny that most people would end up messing up the piece anyway.

EDIT: Also, if you're really concerned with making sure the pepped model has the beveled piece, you could always put a piece of cardboard down around the edge of the trapezoid before you put the piece down that goes in the middle. That's one of the reasons I made the unfold the way that I did (with the trapezoid separate). I did the same thing with the gold part on the chin where it was originally raised in dungbeetle's model since, in the movie, it's more of a small groove.

SUPER EDIT:

FINISHED THE SMALLER CHIN MODEL THAT ALSO FIXED THE BACK OF THE HELMET.

(2) IronManSmallChin-Samuray.pdo

SmallChinComparison.png

Here's a shot of the Mark II that gives you an idea of the shape. I can't seem to find a really good picture of the side of the helmet where the chin isn't in some weird lighting.

IronManReference.jpg

BackComparison.png

llinformerll said:
Wow. Bravo. Have you ever thought of modifying this file to War Machine?

I dunno. As similar as War Machine and Iron Man look, there are a lot of differences. I'm not really that great at modeling, to be honest. I don't really know how to drastically change things or make something from scratch. I'm better at modifying something that's all but finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iron Mang said:
ah man, that is a nice model, if only you had released it sooner. now i'm tempted to starting over lol.

Sorry about that. If it makes you feel any better, I probably won't be able to get my done in time for the premier since I took so long on getting the file done.

I love it. Kinda makes me glad I have been so preoccupied finishing my other armor and havent really started Iron Man yet. Great looking file.

starting the build now. I just had to scale it to dungbeetles original. The % was wierd so i just used the height. I'll post pics soon

Thank you for the Helmet, dude. I'm sure my brother is going to bug the hell out of me until I build it for him.

-Pony

mjolnir follower said:
I like how the helm isnt split in 3 pieces as the old one was. Now its easier to build.

Yeah. I kind of figured that if anyone still wanted it to be in separate pieces, they could cut the pieces with scissors after pepping or resining.

If anyone wants to post pictures of their build of the helmet on this topic, feel free. I currently don't have a printer that can handle the cardstock that I have. So until I can make a trip out to my parents' house, I can't build my own file :(

Since you said you were using Oreo's unfold, did you solve the problem of the numbers not matching up in places? That will also be a big help!

Darth Veach said:
Since you said you were using Oreo's unfold, did you solve the problem of the numbers not matching up in places? That will also be a big help!

I didn't check. It may have been because of some problems with the original model. Maybe I accidentally fixed it without knowing it. I'll have to check that when I get home.

EDIT: Iron Mang has shown some concern with the fact that my helmet is missing the top most beveled trapezoid from the back of the helmet. I am aware that part exists in the movie, but I felt that it'd be easier to make this part after bondoing. This is because it's about the same depth as the other detail lines on the helmet. Otherwise, you'd either have to build up a piece that was deeper than the movie version or pep a piece that's so skinny that most people would end up messing up the piece anyway.

EDIT: Also, if you're really concerned with making sure the pepped model has the beveled piece, you could always put a piece of cardboard down around the edge of the trapezoid before you put the piece down that goes in the middle. That's one of the reasons I made the unfold the way that I did (with the trapezoid separate). I did the same thing with the gold part on the chin where it was originally raised in dungbeetle's model.

Yeah, he did that nice smooth unfold of DBs helmet and some of the numbers didn't match up. It wasn't a huge deal, just hard if you didn't have a lot of Pep experience like me. I never finished it! skimming over the printed version of yours I did, looks like you may have fixed it. Not 100% sure yet.

Darth Veach said:
Yeah, he did that nice smooth unfold of DBs helmet and some of the numbers didn't match up. It wasn't a huge deal, just hard if you didn't have a lot of Pep experience like me. I never finished it! skimming over the printed version of yours I did, looks like you may have fixed it. Not 100% sure yet.

One thing I noticed on his unfold (and what I end up doing on mine to make it the same) was that he had the "Join Adjacent" set to something like 0.25mm which is pretty high. This has a tendency to make it so that you don't have to cut as many pieces but it doesn't remove the space between the pieces it joins. It just leaves the extra material. You can see it when you have the materials on in pep designer. Every once in a while you'll come across a piece where it's supposed to be red but there's a little line of white. That's one of the places where it joined two adjacent pieces that were within the 0.25mm margin.

So it may be that the only way to get the numbers to line up correctly is to re-do the unfold without that setting so high. Maybe only .1mm or so.

I hope I didn't lose anyone on that; I just about lost myself.

Glad things are going well! Be sure to post pictures. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

I put stencils for doing the detailing on the ears in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back