Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got done reading through the whole thread so far and may I say, AMAZING! I'm partially surprised that this thread is in the noob section; you really deserve more. Fantastic, just fantastic.

hey mate great work really enjoyed watching the process.

Curious what pep file did you use? ive downloaded one that has no numbers, i persisted just to find out the bottom neck piece was way out of scale. also as i live in aus nsw how did you go finding the parts etc
Did you order the cardstock online also foam im having trouble finding. I live in a country town about 3 hrs from a Newcastle so a trip the the shops is out of the question.
Thanks mate and keep up the good work

Modeled by Robo3687 and unfolded by Jason02. The helmet is the MKIV.

I live in Canberra and bought my card-stock from office works. Most art stores, and perhaps newsagents sell it.

Today was all about getting the mid-section of the armour to fit. I fibreglassed the inside, then drew a line where I want to cut it for fitting. I used a couple of plastic wall-plugs wrapped in paper to make seating pins and poured resin mixed with car-body filler over them. I then cut them apart, pulled the cut wall-plugs out and installed new full-length ones. One end will be glued in, while the other end will serve as a guide-pin when getting dressed.

1. Wall-plugs covered in paper and tape. A block taped off to form a dam where the casting will be poured.
YkQ80fx.jpg

2. Cast poured
e2WSLps.jpg

3. Cut the armour apart with a hacksaw, straight across the middle of the pins.
4m9i4Xb.jpg

4. To get the pins out, I used a wood-screw, screwed it in part way then pulled out the plugs.
fvMUmoi.jpg

5. Now both halves fit together perfectly, lined up by the guide pins.
7kMC7e0.jpg

6. It fits! I might have to go for a run or two though, this mid-section is starting to getting a little bloated underneath... ;)
WMUvjBp.jpg

I haven't seen this thread until today. I have to say this is one of the better Iron Man suits I've seen everything looks awesome; keep it up!

Thanks dudes.

The suit is now ready for the bench. Now that the waist is hardened, it's time to fit it inside the torso to begin hardening the torso in shape. While the fibreglass inside was curing, I modified the arc-reactor and fit it inside it's housing in the torso. I found a beautiful big glass lens out of an old overhead projector and it fits EXACTLY over the top of the arc-reactor, sealing it into the suit.

zRb9HZL.jpg

'Tis an awesome idea with the projector lens. Seeing you build this makes me wish my spartan was done so i could start on iron man!!

I both love and hate the fact that I have to work out how this all fits together! There is NO instruction manual on how to do this, just a mish-mash of other peoples ideas and short-cuts. It's SO frustrating!!! What I am doing here is placing all the pieces where they need to be, then laying fibreglass mat on the inside wherever I can see exposed paper.

Layer by layer, working from the inside of the outside layers, they will all be stiffened to the right shape and all fit together.

x99kNEC.jpg

Read through this whole thread a week or two ago, very impressive work. I've always thought that the MkVI Halo armor was a daunting task, but a suit that covers the entire body in armor seems so much more so. You've done some great work so far, and I can't wait to see it continue.

I also wanted to ask if you've had any adhesion issues with the Liquid Nails. I've used the US version of it before to attach some metal strapping to the inside of my torso piece. After about a week it decided that it wanted to let go of the rondo coating, though the adhesion to the metal strapping itself was still very good. Have you had any similar experiences with it in your build, or was it an odd occurrence for me?

Read through this whole thread a week or two ago, very impressive work. I've always thought that the MkVI Halo armor was a daunting task, but a suit that covers the entire body in armor seems so much more so. You've done some great work so far, and I can't wait to see it continue.

I also wanted to ask if you've had any adhesion issues with the Liquid Nails. I've used the US version of it before to attach some metal strapping to the inside of my torso piece. After about a week it decided that it wanted to let go of the rondo coating, though the adhesion to the metal strapping itself was still very good. Have you had any similar experiences with it in your build, or was it an odd occurrence for me?

Well, so far I've only used it on fibreglass to metal. It seems to be holding very well, the pain is that you have to give it DAYS to fully cure.

hey nice that looks amazing but could you post that iron man file i've been tying to find one it very hard to find an easy one and i just signed up only helm

1. With the outer chest and back shell now fibreglassed inside, it's time to position the collar plates and back brace so I can fibreglass them in shape while they are inside.
gnomigJ.jpg

2. Bracing the brace. The chest brace needs to be held up against the inside of the chest piece while the fibreglass cures.
EK2r4Tp.jpg

3. Back brace in position inside the back shell. Nearly ready for coating the outside with car-body filler and starting the sanding, shaping and detailing process.
XOggd8Q.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back