Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, thanks. I'll keep these in mind, and I'll need to buy a full face shield too.
I was curious, do you melt down any failed pours and recycle them? Or does the sand create issues with recycling them?

No problems at all. It all floats to the top when melted and is scraped off just before the pour as dross. Same goes with any other impurities. I'm melting down aluminium cans, window extrusions, sheet aluminium, machining swarf and offcuts, anything I can get my hands on. It all gets purified by fire!

- - - Updated - - -

how hard was it to sand the gauntlets?

Piece of cake.
- - - Updated - - -

Could you metal cast a model out of EVA foam? instead of using insulation foam?

I think that would be dangerous and no I don't think it would work. It's too heavy, (dense).

Your aluminum castings look nothing short of amazing! I recall looking up how to do it a while back, and will have to pursue that after seeing your work!

I think that would be dangerous and no I don't think it would work. It's too heavy, (dense).
EVA is harder to melt since, as sandbagger said, it's dense, as I found on a website here- http://www.schenz.com/fm_eva.html , it quotes that eva foam is-
  • good weather and chemical resistance
  • low water absorption
  • good acoustic properties
  • oil resistance
  • high energy absorption
  • environmentally friendly, safe disposal by recycling, dumping or incineration[SUP]1[/SUP]

EVA is harder to melt since, as sandbagger said, it's dense, as I found on a website here- http://www.schenz.com/fm_eva.html , it quotes that eva foam is-
  • good weather and chemical resistance
  • low water absorption
  • good acoustic properties
  • oil resistance
  • high energy absorption
  • environmentally friendly, safe disposal by recycling, dumping or incineration[SUP]1[/SUP]

I wouldn't agree with the last point. Have you seen the black smoke and smelled the stench when you burn it? I certainly wouldn't stand up wind. YECHHH!

I wouldn't agree with the last point. Have you seen the black smoke and smelled the stench when you burn it? I certainly wouldn't stand up wind. YECHHH!
I agree, I once over cooked a piece of EVA that I was forming with my heat gun, quite a stench indeed.

Both plates for the back of the hands have been bashed into shape and are ready for a couple of detail grooves in the right places. I'll just file them in as they don't need to be too deep.

Now that they both wrap around the sides of the hand, the palm plate with all the raised details doesn't have to be so deep and curved. My shaped-to-match block of insulation foam needs minimal dishing on the inside to conform to the contours of my hand underneath.

Once that's done I can carefully cut in all the details on the outside. With help from Almighty God, I should then be able to cast it as one chunk with the molten aluminium reaching the edges this time as it doesn't have to travel as far.

vGofsHE.jpg

That is awesome
I would bring that suite to ft benning and try to sell to the army. Add some servos and pistons and you have an armored exo suit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woohoo! Now to hope it works once more haha. Can't wait to see the hands cleaned up and assembled.

Absolutely love the work you're doing on this build SB. This will come out to be one of the best of all time. :D

Today I took both cast pieces to my contact who wishes to remain unknown for him to help me out with a quick clean-up on the lathe of the centre circles in the palms.

From here on in, all the finishing and clean-up is by hand with sandpaper and files.

vVi8HS7.jpg

iXYlicH.jpg

NdhX0R0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back