Scar The Just -- Kensai's Armor [100% Complete]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dark Rogue. I'll start a thread in the Weapons and Props section if you believe it to be such a great idea and show off the pictures as soon as I hit 50...

Cheers,
Kensai

UPDATE: Moved all the armor pieces into the shed, finishing up a second fire grenade and then tomorrow morning I start resining and fiberglassing. I bought extra gear for my roommate who has been helping me construct this in exchange I have to help him with his project... which is going to make your heads explode in delight when you see what we have planned. However time to focus on the job at hand because the next project is going to take a year to construct. Completing the second firebomb grenade tonight after work. I also decided to add a magnet inside and incorporated magnets into my armor so all my grenades snap on my belt. I put two on the back to hold my shotgun while I have my Spartan Laser out... oo did I say that outloud. Pics coming soon. Please keep checking back and giving me a hoorah here and there so I feel like I'm accomplishing something :p Oh and advanced members, please check out my previous post above and respond please. I'm in desperate need of this information.

Mark IV armor, very easy guess there.

Anyways, I like the idea for the helmet. Try to keep it dark-grey, but not black, so people can still notice the details.

Try adding multiple different colors of grey, too, for a more damaged-unevenly-by-nadez look.

If you know what I mean :p

Last edited by a moderator:
ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Mark IV armor, very easy guess there.

Anyways, I like the idea for the helmet. Try to keep it dark-grey, but not black, so people can still notice the details.

Try adding multiple different colors of grey, too, for a more damaged-unevenly-by-nadez look.

If you know what I mean :p

Actually it's going to be Bumble Bee Yellow.. only the stripe up top will be black. As far as the damage yeah I'm have it all custom painted by the airbrush artist in town to give it proper shading in the deep cuts. I'm also adding twisted pieces of frag still jammed into the cuts :) Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers,
Kensai

I was considering using Bumblebee Yellow for my armor, but I like Orange better.

Can't wait to see your armor complete, though.

I'll be stalking this thread, if you don't mind. :p

random thought...
do you have any plans for the exposed piece? I was kicking this idea around in my head, and remembered watching a documentary on building props for star wars. They'd use bits and pieces from random plastic models to add detail to them. Just thought I'd mention it, might be an easy way to add extra detail to the exposed area.

Humungotron said:
random thought...
do you have any plans for the exposed piece? I was kicking this idea around in my head, and remembered watching a documentary on building props for star wars. They'd use bits and pieces from random plastic models to add detail to them. Just thought I'd mention it, might be an easy way to add extra detail to the exposed area.

Hrm.. I had the intentions of just painting details but... that is a good idea. I guess add random scraps of plastic in to look like little tubes and mechanical parts eh? Well.. that's what I was shooting for with the helmet fan there. I guess that would really make it pop eh? Thanks Humungotron.

Cheers,
Kensai

Any interest in a video tutorial on the firebomb grenade fellow 405th members before I make my second one? I'm an indie filmmaker and have the gear to do professional video tutorials on anything we may need.

Cheers,
Kensai

i cant wait to see how this is really coming along

by the way

I HAVE THOSE EXACT PAINTBALL GLOVES, but mine are plain black completely

link4044 said:
looking good so far

Means alot coming from you Link :D

Zenzeigan said:
i cant wait to see how this is really coming along

by the way

I HAVE THOSE EXACT PAINTBALL GLOVES, but mine are plain black completely

Thanks for stopping back in, where'd you find them completely black without the logo?

UPDATE: Today was my first day ever fiberglassing and resining. What an experience.... those youtube videos we have in the video section didn't even come close to preparing me for what was in store. I think I fiberglassed myself to everything in the workshop :D However something has gone terribly wrong and I need your help to figure out what went wrong in the equation. I used exactly 1oz of resin per 8 drops of hardener and followed the tutorial we have in the videos section (dipping the fiberglass and smoothing). I'm using Elmer's resin and after coming back from work and it sitting in the garage all day (8+ hours) it had a waxy look to it but still remained it's pep shape (not drooping or anything). I attempted to lift the left boot and check out the hardness and all the hot glue seals separated and it fell into mush on the ground. ;) I thought I was prepared for this and I read every tutorial but surprise I apparently don't know what the hell I'm doing. I can't progress any further until I figure out what is wrong. I brought out a hairdryer and put it on high on the remaining boot for over an hour.. it helped but still had that waxy look and was wet to touch. Any ideas what went wrong? .. back to pepping a new left boot..

Cheers,
Kensai

I haven't used the elmers resin, but I checked out the MSDS and its pretty much the same as what I use at work.
If you're having problems with kick off, its typically one of three problems: bad catalyst, bad ratios, or not thoroughly mixed.
you've tried applying heat, which is good. the biggest problems you're gonna face with your ratios are based pretty much on where you live. resin and bondo use the same exothermic reaction, so heat will help. Humidity and cold weather won't.
If you still can't get it to kick off after using the hair dryer, try this. mix up another batch of resin and hardener, and recoat. go with a higher ratio, maybe 12 to 15 drops per oz. the extra catalyst will help kick off the older layer, and the heat generated will also help with the process.
big problem is going to be not having everything fall apart on you. Worst case scenario, you can use straight hardener in a cup, with a small paintbrush (like a model paint brush) and paint pure catalyst over where the hot glue is. This should kick it off enough to prevent the hot glue from falling apart. You can then come back in and recoat the parts that aren't curing properly.
another method i've heard of ( and this is dependent on equipment you have available) is using an airbrush to spray the catalyst onto the surface. If you have an airbrush, that is.

This is all assuming you're in a hurry. If its starting to kick, but taking forever, it WILL eventually cure. granted, in the meantime, you have to deal with the parts being disturbed and possibly falling apart, possibly sagging. I'd recommend giving it 8 to 12 more hours before you really start to panic.

Humungotron

I'm assuming the high elevation may have something to play with it? I live in Gatlinburg,TN which is situated well into the Great Smoky Mountains... so extra drops of catalyst from here on out. This is why I started with the shoes... they're the easiest to assemble... minus the handplate. Hrm.. on the surviving shoe I think I'll apply some hardener to a paintbrush and give it a once over. Thanks so much for the quick response I'll put up another update tomorrow after I wake up and give it hell again. Pep foot is almost complete.. *sigh* I never say die though. Sorry for the panic... just been working on this armor forever for us at AdventureCon next month and planned out every step. So far I've been meeting my schedule until this point. Anyhow, thanks a mil, I'll give it a shot and see what happens tomorrow morning.. then I'll resume panicking :p

Cheers,
Kensai

yeah, just checked the weather for your area. its only like 60 degrees and raining. 93% humidity is whats killing you. Its just gonna take a while to set up.
Whenever I'm mixing resin/catalyst in crappy weather, I'll add a couple extra drops for every ounce when its raining/cold/humid out. doubly so if its cold and rainy, etc etc.

Humungotron said:
yeah, just checked the weather for your area. its only like 60 degrees and raining. 93% humidity is whats killing you. Its just gonna take a while to set up.
Whenever I'm mixing resin/catalyst in crappy weather, I'll add a couple extra drops for every ounce when its raining/cold/humid out. doubly so if its cold and rainy, etc etc.

Weird, no rain here and it was 65 all day.. partly cloudy o.0 Thanks for the tip though. *sigh* I died a little inside though for a minute, thanks Humungotron.

Cheers,
Kensai

my brother worked at a paintball place called "campaign" i plan on going there in a month or two with some friends, depending on the price i could maybe buy another pair, and send em to you, if ido get em dont worry about paying me,too much hassle, nice to help out a mate, but it will be a while til i do get it done, but m happy to help someone who helped me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back