Not open for further replies.

Cadet

Executive Officer
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S111
“What, you mean D00Nut?”

For this year’s Dragon*con it was decided that there should be a companion costume to my Caboose armor. As we all know, costumes just seem to look more impressive in a matching group than by individually. A full squad of ODSTs always commands more attention than one by himself, so, we’re banking on that two Red Vs Blue characters will look cooler than either of us by ourselves. My friend decided on Donut because Tex is sort of an obvious choice for a girl and she wanted to do something a little different to stand out, and well, she just likes pink. Sorry, I mean, “lightish-red.”

Making the costume wasn’t that daunting of a prospect for me either. I already had a good start on a set of vacuum form bucks from my Caboose project, and I still had my very first attempt at a pepakura Mark V bucket stashed away in the basement. So the first thing I did was to see about salvaging my old helmet.

When I had fiberglassed it originally, I did it without any support in the visor area, and as such, the “jaw” of the helmet sagged low, and made the visor opening almost comically large.

DSCN1337.jpg

DSCN1336.jpg

So, I took a hacksaw to the helmet and cut the lower half free. I repositioned it and then fiberglassed it back in the correct area.

100_3103.jpg

100_3102.jpg

Some of the distortion is definitely still present, and the fact that it was my first ever attempt at pepakura definitely shows, but, for Dragon*Con it will work, and she’s happy with it. Maybe afterwards I’ll make a new bucket, but, honestly, I’m still a little burned out on pepakura and fiberglassing, so if she’s happy with it, I might just leave it go.

As for the armor, I am currently in the process of making my vacuum form bucks much more workable. When I pulled my Caboose armor, it was almost a once off kind of thing. I just pulled the plastic right over my old fiberglass armor for several of the parts. I didn’t even bother to back fill the pieces. This lead to some severe undercuts and a major pain in demolding many of the pieces. So, this time, I am going back and back filling all the pieces with expanding foam, which will then be covered in bondo (Don’t worry, I already tested it and the bondo doesn’t eat away at the foam). Currently all the pieces have the expanding foam setting up in. Then it will be time to carve down the foam, bondo it, and hopefully pull some pieces next Wednesday.

Always nice to have a conversation with myself, which seems to be how almost all my threads on this board turn out :rolleyes

Anyway, we were able to pull almost all of the parts except for the chest and thighs last night. They will require larger frames for the plastic.

Ready to pull:
lrg-6295-100_3106.png

Pull!
lrg-6296-100_3107.png

Now, it's on to the trimming....
lrg-6297-100_3108.png

lrg-6298-100_3110.png

donut is arguably one of my favorite characters from RvB. but I love the way you do your armor. but what did you use to make the forearm bucks?
If it is a pep file I'd very much like to have it. thanks.

The forearms started life as one of the old Moz Mark V files, however, they were extensively modified. Details present in game, but not on the pep file, were built up with scrap plastic and foamies before the parts were pulled, You can see a better shot of the forearm pulls here:
261800_798421664903_48204510_38246398_4420351_n.jpg

We've taken to attaching our handplates directly to the back of our armored paintball gloves with velcro:
lrg-6435-100_3172.png

Everything has now been officially pulled and mostly assembled. Trimming and finishng still need to be done on several aprts, but as of right now, here is what is complete:
100_3179.png

Blue Team, Flag Returned.

lrg-6504-100_3184.png

We're actually going to find a suitable, empty and clean bottle, put a label on it for "Gavin Free's Headlight Fluid" to drink out of it with crazy straws at Dragon*Con.

Right now the last of the E-6000 glue is curing on the straps for the thighs and chest/back. Should have pictures of the completed suit this afternoon.

Donut says, "What's up Internet? My Amazon Wishlist can be found at www....."
lrg-6510-100_3196.JPG

lrg-6507-100_3193.JPG

lrg-6508-100_3194.JPG

Video of the vacuum forming process:
[video]http://youtu.be/z_BAx5F5fM4[/video]

And for those of you wondering about the headlight fluid:
577134_10100245570941143_1924969911_n.jpg

What is it?
Is it a Spider?
Get it off!
tumblr_me6ei8lPSJ1rtpviso1_500.jpg

now you need to nail lopez to the wall, and marry doc. just don't do it at the con last time tucker and sister did that and it was odd.

YAY Donut! lol Armor looks good man :) I love the pink hair too.
Hmmm that flag looks kinda familiar ;-) i got one hanging on my wall lol.
Great job bud. I love the vac forming too

YAY Donut! lol Armor looks good man :) I love the pink hair too.
Hmmm that flag looks kinda familiar ;-) i got one hanging on my wall lol.

Eve, who the suit is for/the one wearing it, is actually the one who made those Blue Team flags.

Had a small photoshoot two weeks ago:
1000534_290486714421863_1715451153_n.jpg

1011025_290486724421862_1969334458_n.jpg

993532_290487047755163_1164579985_n.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back