SHE IS DONE! YES YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AoBfrost

Everything is done, I wore it once, didnt take pics, tried wearing it second time for halloween, didnt work, forgot that velcro adhesive takes 24 hours to cure, so it peeled off right away from the weight of the armor peices, so in general, here is everything done, but just not usable for now.

Helmet
helmet.png

UPDATE, SHE IS DONE
mysuithanging.png

100% done

Painting was fun, I had so much joy from seeing the outcome, I sat there each coat and waited 2o minutes for it to dry and watched paint dry.

Well actually, Just for the helmet, the rest i went off painting other peices, then went to watch TV.

That looks awesome! especially for bondo-less pep. And I really dig your paint job. How many coats of resin ended up going on the outside of the helmet?

1 coat outside, 2 inside, the 2 inside sandwhich fiberglass, with just 3 coats in/out and 1 fiberglass, the thing is rock hard, 2 layers would have been better and another layer of fiberglass, but I dont think for something just as costume use needs more than a few layers of resin and glass.

The only downside of not using bondo was I breathed in a lot of lead dust from sanding which I am still poisioned from, I am healthy but I have mild side effects such as stomach and abs cramps, they arent that bad, so i guess I didnt breathe in that much, but over all I am doing 100% good in health.

AoBfrost said:
...didnt work, forgot that velcro adhesive takes 24 hours to cure, so it peeled off right away from the weight of the armor peices...

AoBfrost, hope you mind this from the noob but, I used nylon strapping and pop riveted it on. I hope you can see what I'm talking about in the pics. I now just put the bottom on like a pair of pants (with suspenders). The chest/shoulder armor goes on like a shirt. I need to touch up the rivet heads, even though I think it looks more industrial the way it is.

With a black under suit, the straps can not be seen. This way all the parts stay right where I want them. No adjusting them while I walk.

Here it is just hanging on the hanger:
Masterpaper031.jpg

Masterpaper030.jpg

Masterpaper029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AOB I love that paint job. Your lights and their frame look really pro! Really nice work, I'm glad to see pics!

Thank you Vexona!

And ken, thanks for showing me how straps go on, where can I buy these, fabric store or lowes/home depot.

AoBfrost said:
Thank you Vexona!

And ken, thanks for showing me how straps go on, where can I buy these, fabric store or lowes/home depot.

Wal-Mart has the strapping in the crafts section, they also have the black clips to make it easier to put on/off. Pop riviets... Home Depot or Lowes. You'll need an 1/8th inch drill bit and drill too. I put 3 straps on the thigh/knee connection so they didn't twist. 1 in the front and 1 on each side. I also had to beef up the very top of the thigh with some extra fiberglass and cloth since it has got the leg hanging in just 1 spot from the cod piece.

How much did this all cost for a strap system, after paying 160 dollars for the suit I really dont want to spend much more, but i will for straps.

Did you glass everything on the inside?....

And why is the unpainted chest differen't than your painted version....

Nice work so far btw

Yes I did, I globbed resin real thick, thats why they dont look like the glass is visible, but in real life you can see the glass up close, otherwise from distance it looks resin only.

AoBfrost said:
How much did this all cost for a strap system, after paying 160 dollars for the suit I really dont want to spend much more, but i will for straps.

Strapping was .88¢ a yard at Wal-Mart, rivets are $6.00 a box of 50. I forgot about the rivet washers, these help spread the load, they're like $2.00 for a box of 30. Use the aluminum rivets, they should last forever.

Masterpaper031B.jpg

Sir Ken said:
Strapping was .88¢ a yard at Wal-Mart, rivets are $6.00 a box of 50. I forgot about the rivet washers, these help spread the load, they're like $2.00 for a box of 30.

Masterpaper031B.jpg

Thanks for the info Sir Ken.. Did you also pick up the rivets from walmart?? Will they be in the hardware section? I need to do my suit up too.. I'm tired of adjusting my armor when gravity decides to take over.. :mad:

preskewl said:
Thanks for the info Sir Ken.. Did you also pick up the rivets from walmart?? Will they be in the hardware section? I need to do my suit up too.. I'm tired of adjusting my armor when gravity decides to take over.. :mad:

My Wal-Mart said they haven't had rivets for years... Home-Depot or Lowes has them. Don't forget the rivet washers for the inside or strap side. The washers really spread the load and keep the rivet from pulling through the nylon strapping.

the only thing I dont like about rivets is the fact you make holes in the peice, is it possible to crazy glue then hotglue over and just have it that way?

AoBfrost said:
the only thing I dont like about rivets is the fact you make holes in the peice, is it possible to crazy glue then hotglue over and just have it that way?

I couldn't say on the glue question. I know the rivet shows in my pics but if you touch them up with whatever color of your armor, they will be nearly invisible. I just didn't want to have to deal with something pulling loose while wearing it so I went with the rivets. Maybe I didn't need 3 rivets per connection point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back