Show us your 3D printer/ CNC machine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Printer landed early this morning :D
Spent the entire day calibrating.. A rather futile endeavour evidently...

WP_20131108_044_zps7c431225.jpg

Still... Glad it didn't come in usps-style pieces.

Attachments

• WP_20131108_044_zps7c431225.jpg
    WP_20131108_044_zps7c431225.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 172
Awesome Serin, good to see you have it already working. Took me ages to get mine running, so thats impressive as far as I am concerned.

I too recieved a new toy these last couple of days. So another technology to learn:

20131106_214002.jpg

Attachments

• 20131106_214002.jpg
    20131106_214002.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 173
Ohhh shiny! That's a CNC yeah?
Can't wait to see some of the results!

Ugh, getting flat spots on the x axis on any circles I print... beyond frustrating!

That could be a couple problems. Either it's the model, an axis belt has slack, or the slicing software didn't work properly.

Mmm ok, I think I've sorted most of the problems... I think.

Printed some of the best parts I've managed today, though part of the saucer section decided it had had enough and cracked right across a layer :p
The deflector dish went rather well though.
WP_20131113_006_zps41f345ae.jpg

An earlier test of a scaled down saucer section.

I think I shall probably cut up a rudimentary enclosure tomorrow, hopefully keep a little more heat in.

WP_20131113_006_zps41f345ae.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the new release of slic3r guys n gals!
It fixes the support problems and evidently fixes the small gaps issue rather nicely.

The bottom part is with the new one, all holes fixed with a much smoother finish.
wgsrEvq.jpg

Attachments

• wgsrEvq.jpg
    wgsrEvq.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 148
Hey there 405th I have something interesting to show you.

But first some info - over the last month me and my dad have been looking for a cheap 3D printer (which means in and around 299 - 500 dollars) But today we found something.

3doodler-pen_zps93cd4960.png

meet the 3Doodler a 3D printing PEN!! and the cost 100 dollars with plastic. this is a new revolutionary product that has won many new awards. I am planning on getting this product when it releases in only a month and a half.

please know i am not trying to advertise this i was just letting you guys (and girls) know about it.

Attachments

• 3doodler-pen_zps93cd4960.png
    3doodler-pen_zps93cd4960.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 194

It's basically an extruder in pen form with an in built fan.
Cool concept, but only if you don't suck at manual drawing :p

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a mount on the back so that it can be hooked up to a cnc arm if you want as well

02-3doodler-dragonfly.jpg

I have one of these from a kickstarter preorder. They are neat gimmicks, but with the pricepoint I was not surprised at the quality. I've yet to see anyone do anything even halfway decent with them even after a lot of practice. I know about the eiffel tower they did, and it's neat for what it is, but I am a pragmatist and it's hardly something I'd proudly display versus something any 3d printer can poop out. They don't have the capability to do really good fdm - the motor is weak, it is tethered to a wall outlet, and it really struggles to keep its heat up if you draw for more than a couple minutes.

It's a fun toy but it's amusing to watch the video reviewers go crazy and gushing with praise as they make flimsy stick figures with it. Not to harsh on it too much, it's just not designed for any serious work, but it gets treated like it'll be a game changing revolutionizer etc etc catchphrases. To me it's like the Wii U. It's neat and has its niche and I enjoy playing with it, but I'm not going to throw away my gaming PC over it. The 3doodler is fun for farting around, but the repdual is always going to be the workhorse for me until I can afford a 2x. With the 3doodler, instead of drawing stick figures on paper, I can do them in plastic and make them dance!

I'm thinking of getting a quieter fan to replace the stock one, and it may be a fun diversion toy. The really neat aspect to it that doesn't get talked about as much as the, is it would be great for doing some repair work, either by injecting plastic into a gap, or using the nozzle to melt down some frayed part of a print.

thanks for the update on slic3r Serin, I had to go back to 9.7 to get supports to work and it was missing some of the new optimizations.

Also been playing with my CNC to mill some rifles as well as play around with different types of endmills in high density polystyrene:

1471219_10152446378978986_1445339508_n.jpg

I have opted for a combination of 3D printed parts detail with a CNC milled body for the voluminous sections so I dont die of old age waiting for the printer to print:

1457558_10152435621983986_1629372807_n.jpg

Yes it can, and they turn out ok too. its really nice and quick to mill in that material, here is the finished product:

IMG_8037.JPG

I am thinking of having a go at some of the halo models next to see how well they turn out. The hybrid approach seems to work well, I'd be happy to help you out since you have sourced most of the models for me.

April

Attachments

• IMG_8037.JPG
    IMG_8037.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 181
Curious indeed!
I may have to take you up on that offer in the not so distant future :)

Though currently my slave driver has me quite busy...
JJnexYN.jpg

Attachments

• JJnexYN.jpg
    JJnexYN.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 166
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back