So Someone Emails Me Asking For Brs And Magnums

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU64

I got an email last night from a guy who says they are rehearsing for a halo themed play. And he wants to buy 4 H2 BRs and 4 Magnum pistols.

So far its in pre production and they have a few months till they show.

I just wanted to get some feedback on the situation since I haven't done any prop work like this for money.

I got an email last night from a guy who says they are rehearsing for a halo themed play.

This is a first!

I hope they have some covies in there.

I hope they have pics!

-Pony

That would be great if the reason it true. But, I have seen too many people try a route like that to get props quicker or cheaper or even free. "Hey, I an working on a fan film/play......" "Hey, I have a sick brother......" It usually doesn't take long for the truth to come out, one way or another, but I have seen friends get burned in the past by similar lies. All I can suggest, is ask (politely) for proof, and be careful.

Then again, if you get money up front, then the real reason doesn't really matter. Unless you want to guard you hard work from getting into recaster's/thieves hands.

I would look at this from a business point of view. In a way, this is a business request. Ask for some proof that this is actually going to happen, like jedi spartan said, and look into it a bit more, like roadwarrior said. Money up-front should also be necessary, as you wouldn't sell something off of ebay, then ship it while running the risk of not getting payed after. Also, have some questions about what they're doing for the play, like what the basic story of the play will be. That's about all I can offer for advice, and there are people much more experienced at this than I am. I also agree with jedi spartan's point about "if you get money up front, then the real reason doesn't really matter. Unless you want to guard you hard work from getting into recaster's/thieves hands." If you do get the money, and they don't make a play, what are you going to do about it? looking into it will hopefully prevent something like someone recasting your work. All I can really do is wish you the best of luck, as I haven't given you any actual advice, and instead affirmed what others have said. Anyways, best of luck to you. :)

I say it's business transaction and it really doesn't matter if what they use the pieces for.

The legal issues is you don't actually have the rights to sell Halo Props. I would be more worried that Bungie was trolling for Sellers of non-official replicas. (I'm not sure if this is an issues with Bungie.)

So, I would say that if these people have the money to buy your art-work they have the money to buy the materials to make it themselves. It is a Theater Project after all and part of theater is building sets, costumes, and PROPS!

Tell them thanks for the compliment wanting to purchase your artwork but you have to decline, however you will help them with any question they may have as they build their own props.

Hope that helps,

P.S. If they are long time members of the 405th I may reconsider this because there is less chance of things going wrong.

First thing I thought when seeing this thread...

barackbar.jpg

Also, that image is called barackbar. lmao

Hmm... i know this is highly unlikely, but is there anything you can add to the materials of the prop that doesnt bond well with latex/Silicone?

You guys ready for Trap #2?

So last night I get an email from a graphic artist who works for an audio company in Sweden. And they are working on a orchestrated CD of famous videogame soundtracks. He told me they want to use my suit on the cover and asked me if I still had it..
Few hours later...
This morning I get a reply asking me if it would be possible to rent, or buy the suit, for their photo-shoot...
In the back of my mind I'm thinking, wouldn't it be much simpler to get a studio here to get the photos and just email them? Especially compared to renting and shipping a suit that most likely will get "lost in transit"?

I said they can have as many pictures as they want, but the suit does not leave here.
We'll see what happens ^_^.

Oh I love traps.....

I remember when I was getting emails from this person wanting me to make them a Ratchet (from Ratchet and Clank) suit just like the one I made for myself. I told him no, I don't remake presonal items. Then he kept demanding I needed to make this for him, he's Insomniac's biggest fan, he designed Ratchet before Insomniac, blah blah blah. I told him no again. Then he said he'd paid $16,000 for it and that he had lots of money. Then I was like "ok sure, but you have to send all the money up front and it'll be done in a couple months". I would have made him one and whatnot, except as soon as I accepted his 'offer' he all of a sudden dropped off the face of the earth. Nice.
Too bad it wasn't a real deal though.... Oh what I could do with $16,000.... lol

Yeah, it all sounds a bit dodgy to me. I'd definately ask for the cash up front, or at least a 60% non-refundable deposit. Many armourers have learned this leason the hard way. If they balk you know it's a trap. Make sure to list them with a slightly different name to try to keep out of trouble with Bungie and Microsoft.

I just got a mail from "spain", that i won the lottery, it had chinese markings in it and the bank number was from south africa :p,
stupid mail spammers

just be carefull, and i hope you don't fall for the trap

The saga continues...

Seems like they are serious about this. I was told that they have an office in NY and that they will set up a photo-shoot with a local studio here so they can get the pictures. They offered to fly me to NY but I really don't care for spending any time there. So it seems they are coming here.

And on a side note, the Chief just got booked in a commercial for Play n Trade. We'll see how that works out. Either way, should be fun :)

I never knew how well you could make a living off of having a suit. :p Good luck with the photo shoot. Just make sure they aren't muggers. XD

I figured I should at least post a conclusion to this last trap. Turns out it wasn't.
Because of legal issues, they asked me if I could modify the suit so it didn't look like master chief.
Long story short, it didn't work out so they went with this instead...
the-greatest-video-game-music.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back