Soundcard Problem On Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam

Forum Founder
Member DIN
S800
Ok, I have a problem. I got a new sound card, $100 5.1 creative labs xfi.

I use windows vista. I have a 5.1 surround sound system, and it's all hooked up just the way it is supposed to be.

I have configured my "speakers" to use 5.1 audio ... Sound, Speakers, Configure, 5.1

Problem is, I get the EXACT same sound if i use just the green, or if I use green, black, orange. Something is goofy somewhere, and I need help figuring out where. When I mean it sounds the same, I mean in the vista sound test it goes through the speakers (each speaker) and when it does the left front it sounds the same as when it does the left back... etc. It isn't seperating the channels... it isn't even outputtting center/rear channels from the sound card. Through the speakers, noise is made from all channels, but it isn't diving up the signal according to the 5.1 configuration.

hey adam! if its a card that plugs into your computer then you would need a cd with the drivers to install... but if its just a speaker system and it does have the black orange pink connectors and your computer does not then that would be the issue... if your computer or speaker set do not have the black orange pink connectors the 5.1 sorrund sound system will not use sorround sound feature installed or programed into the vista system.

i dont know if thats your issue though. go down the list:

1. did you have to install a sorround sound card into the computer?
2. does your computer have a black a orange and green input other than the line in blue green sound and pink mic connections
3. does your speaker system have only a green cable or does it have a black pink orange with extra green cables.
4. if computer does not have connectors sorround sound wont work all the time and speakers would be just default speakers till a game or dvix movie is run that utilizes the sorround sound features through programming.

thats my two cents.. and thats how mine works... dunno otherwise.. any pics could help the situation and figure out what you trying to get at and if all the cables are connected properly.

Yeah, it has all the surround stuff. It did before, but I upgraded the card so it would be asio compatible.

I'll try reinstalling everything and see what happens.

reinstalling can help alot for sure.. remember to reboot aswell. and no means by jacking the thread but have you seen SPARTAN+MJOLNIR=OWNAGE in a while. i havent seen him since last year.

Try getting the latest and greatest drivers form creative
creative labs drivers

find your product and look for the newest driver.

also are you putting the jacks into the card or the mobo? It's supposed to go into the card.

also might be your problem but not all media is in 5.1 so that could be an issue, if not now then later.

hmm windows said drivers were current (ones on CD) guess they werent'.

But I don't think the driver will work for what I want ... taking it back now, does exactly what my current one does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back