South Uk Based Master Chief Clay Sculpt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the comments guys. No no, as lafferty said the colour and transparency of the fiberglass makes it look a lot less detailed than it actually is. Once weve done a proper cast and painted it up, it will look a million times better.

We do use gelcoat before fiberglassing, its great for getting all the details. Id always recommend using it.

No huge updates this week im afriad, I started a new project at work just after the Easter break so been taking it easy of an evening. Saying that though, we have been working on the helmet sculpt. Relaxing Sunday tomorrow, hope to get lots done.

Small update, weve done a load more on the helmet. Looking great! We hope to have it all detailed in by the end of the weekend. Ill post some more pictures then.

Weekend update. Lots more done on the helmet, we are really happy with how its looking. Cant wait to try it on. We are aiming to have it finished by the last weekend of May.

mchelmet20.jpg

mchelmet21.jpg

mchelmet22.jpg

Thanks a lot everyone, we are trying to keep up the momentum :)

Lots more small changes, fixes etc on the helmet. We have completly redone the front chin/mouth area.. much happier with it now! We were away at the weekend, right back onto it tonight. Going to put the visor in this week aswell.

mchelmetnew1.jpg

mchelmetnew2.jpg

Ive also started to tidy up the legs, get them properly sanded etc etc. Im really pleased with how its looking, a small amount of tidy up really shows off the detail, brings it to the surface. Im really pleased with how sharp it all is. More pics soon:

mccodtidy1.jpg

Awesome man.

Just read the whole topc and i con't find anything on what you cast them in. I understand fibreglass. But, fibreglass cloth and polyurethane resin? or casting resin? Also, what sorta silicon did you use? and what type of clay? :D.

Bombarding you with questions i know, but this is excellent work!

Cheers, Dave!

Well, fiberglass is like using paper mache, the fiberglass mat is like the newspaper strips... in our case a mixture of 30gm (tissue), 300gm and 450gm, the various thicknesses of the mats. The resin (general purpose resin) is the flour and water.

For small detail sections we will mould and cast these in Polyurethane Resin, we might cast the hand plate in this.. undecided yet. This resin is normally a white/ivory colour and what most small solid props are made from.

As for silicone. We use T28 Silicone Rubber + T6 Catalyst, normally purchased from Tiranti. They provide very good silicone, great consistency to work with (add a bit of thixo in) and produces really strong moulds.

Onto the clay, we use Chavant NSP Medium Sulphur Free non drying modeling clay. Great stuff!

Hope that helps.

Jon

Well just a c&c on the helm it looks like brim is alittle to thin an kinda throwing of the over all look of the helm but great work on the helm would love to sculpt

Thanks Spartan 051, your absolutely right! We actually changed that last night, fattened up the brim and bulked out the top some more. It looks a lot more balanced now, especially with the visor in. Ill try to take some more pics tonight.

I appreciate the cnc.

Regarding the clay, there certainly is a lot of it. One main reason we made the legs first, helmet, then the torso is so we can reuse our clay on the 3 sculpts. It still cost a bit though yes :)

yeah no problem when dealing with such an iconic character little things people will notice

Though one last thing i did notice those 3 piece in the top center looks like needs to be flatten you have them curved with the top of helm

@sevv

Concerning the normal fibreglassing resin. I thought, that due to the fact it heats up a lot, it expands and shrinks the mould? And therefore you had to use casting resin that have no exothermic properties? I'm just interested to know if it still comes our fine using normal resin. Its so much cheaper than polyurethane resin.

Then again i am still trying to figure out the ins and outs of moulding this and that.

Thankyou sir!

Cheers, Dave.

Normal resin should be fine, alot of moulds can take low heated metals so are used to the heat. Normal resin and fiberglass shouldnt affect the mould, as far as i know, but wait till sevv replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back