South Uk Based Master Chief Clay Sculpt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, yeah... lots and lots of clay :) Starting to run out now lol:

mcchest12.jpg

mcchest13.jpg

Big! Lots of strategically placed hollow blocks of fiberglass to bulk out the thickest parts :)

Wow nice work! is the armor going to be red and green? Or will you pant it? Speaking of which, how do you plan on painting it if you do? I didn't think there were any paints that went on clay. But, maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is a type of paint just for that purpose.
Good Luck!

The ODST Guy

Ive got a brief explanation... with pictures... of my life cast in my first post. As for painting, we arnt going to paint the clay. The clay is the base for making a mould from which fiberglass armour can be cast.

Getting more done this week, more pictures at the weekend.

Hey could you make a little video or tutorial of how to get out of the life casts? I did my forearm in modroc (plaster bandages) and had to cut it off with a stanley knife. that's pretty dangerous so I didn't like the idea of trusting my dad to do that straight accross my main artery again :/

this is unbelievable O.O the shere epicness and dedication you must need to pull this of is astounding.... nice to see there is someone in the UK thats got talent XD keep up the awesome work! can't wait to see it finished >.<

When I get some free time ill try to write some sort of tut, cutting it off with a stanley knifes a bad idea :)

Thanks mangafreak, appreciate it!

How for my 'really rubbish picture update... of the day :D'

mcchest14.jpg

This just gets better and better ^_^ Really can't wait to see more!
Btw, had a look at the clay you are using and bought a couple of kilo's of chavant medium clay, But my gosh expensive stuff! =( Do you know anywhere that sells it cheaper at all?

-Phi

Thanks phixix! Weve set aside lots of time over the weekend to really push on with this... more pics Sunday night. As for the clay, yeah expensive isnt it. Cheapest place ive found is £7, £7.50.. at Darent Wax.

Worth the price though.

this is really really good, though the detail in the casting is hard to appreciate because its part clear. bet it will look fantastic when its painted though.

Big Update! Been working hard over the weekend. The helmet is being balanced on blue roll tubes and the sculpt isnt actually square on the torso cast but.... small details, small details :) You get the vague idea.

mcchest20.jpg

mcchest21.jpg

mcchest22.jpg

Really liking how its looking, feature complete now... few days off and then begin on the finishing. Should take about 2 weeks.

Hey any chance of getting that tut done for the life casts? I really wanna get stuck in but I don't wanna cut myself open getting them off xD

Cheers

OH DUDE... When i grow up i wanna be like you... IM BLIND... its just beautiful... state of the art so far like the real Mk VI in the Halo Universe T.T

This is just extremely excellent work. Having done a few sculpts, I can only imagine the money you have tied up in this suit for clay alone!

Thanks guys :)

Wired... after thinking about it, its really quite simple. I first put on thermals, the kind for skiing for example. This keeps my body size down and it doesnt matter if it gets a bit dirty. I then wrap around myself a layer of clingfilm, this helps to protect my cloths and help get the cast off when dry. Next a good layer of vaseline. Again this helps get the bandages off when dry.

Start with one side, in the case of my leg cast the back. Cut lengths roughly a foot long, fold in half when applying. Do one half front to back, when dry do another layer for strength. Once all the back is dry, vaseline an inch line all the way around the edge of your back cast... then start on the front. Overlap about half an inch making sure you get a good seam. Repeat the plasterbandages for the front, 2 layers.

Leave to dry for as long as the model can stand :) it really starts to hurt at this point, keeping perfectly still. Oh you could bandage on some wooden poles for strength, depends on what body part you are casting.

Once dry get your model to move very gently to ease the cast off. Once the bandage casts are off, vaseline the inside, fiberglass...remove the bandages and fiberglass the two halfs together. And youve got your manakin to clay ontop off :)

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the comments. Working on multiple casts one after the other means you have to spend a lot of time thinking about scale. Making sure the helmet is scaled to the torso / legs etc after youve cast half of the pieces... fun : )

Oh yes, we have spent quite a bit on clay. However recyling the leg clay for the helmet, and now again for the torso has helped keep the costs down. Sorry for the poor picture quality, this was taken quite late last night. Weve changed the front bottom piece, really undercut and set it back now. Looks much better imo. Weve also carved in the rough detail on the neck line? really need names for these parts :) More pics soon.

Need to start thinking about weapons, id like an AR. I cant access the Classified section yet so I dont know if good quality casts are available to purchase. Need to way that up with making my own... we'll see.

mcchest23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaah 2 halves, how did I not think of that? *facepalm*

Your sculpting is incredible! I tried doing a hand plate and it's much harder than I thought it'd be. Keep up the good work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back