Spartan 405's Pep Helmet in Progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good and messy, I avoid fiberglassing the edges, I just dont like trimming at the end, same hardness comes out though. Very nice, cant wait to see it done.

Alright there is a new update on the first page. I really cant wait until its done. But I am however taking my time through this to make sure I dont screw it up.

SPARTAN405 said:
Alright there is a new update on the first page. I really cant wait until its done. But I am however taking my time through this to make sure I dont screw it up.

Looks good, but doesn't that make a heck of a mess?

DoC

Last edited by a moderator:
New update on the first page. Please check it out and comment on how you think it looks. REmember better pictures will come tomorow.

SPARTAN405 said:
Actually its an 8 mp digital camera. I took the photo behind a glass door because I didnt want to open it to let the smell of the resin inside.

Megapixels dont really matter... 3.2m is just fine (unless you take images in the dark but who would do that). its just the lens which is important.

Trust me my cousin is a professional photographer.

Finnish_Spartan said:
Megapixels dont really matter... 3.2m is just fine (unless you take images in the dark but who would do that). its just the lens which is important.

Trust me my cousin is a professional photographer.
But I'm willing to bet that the camera he used, just like pretty much all non-professional photographers, isn't a "professional" digital camera, hence, it has no removable lens. So megapixels do matter, for most people.

Still, it's got little to do with the picture quality here. And all this camera talk is waaay off topic, lol.

Stuff looks promising. Especially the under-brim. I hope to see more soon.

Alright there is a new update on the first page, I just added some bondo to it to smooth out the dents I made from weathering it.

Hey
great progress so far, Ive noticed your bondo application is a tad rough though, a little trick I use is once you have it all on the area you're bogging, keep a glass of water beside you, when the bog is just starting to set up, dip your finger in the water and run it over the surface (wearing a vinyl/latex glove of course) you can smooth out a lot of the bog and save yourself a lot of sanding, when its applied a bit lumpy, you end up sanding so much more off which is a bit of a waste of product.

Hey thanks for that tip ill be sure to try it tomorow when i next use it. Yea when I first started making stuff with fiberglass and body filler i used brushes which made it extremely messy, then I moved to spatulas and it made it so much better. However, I found that if you get a steel file, you can easily get rid of imperfections on the bondo. Bondo is very soft and somewhat brittle so it makes it so much easier than sandpaper.

Nice job! It really makes me wamt to get more work done on mine, wich will happen soon. Quick question tho, are you using just sytraight bondo or "mud"? Im thinking about trying the mud version as I missed a few spots on my first aplication.

Straight bondo. It is easier for me. However, When I get a silicon mold of this, it will use mud reinforced with fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back