Props Spartan Laser Metal & Fiberglass Airsoft Prop (Fully Functioning Electronic Replica)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm not going to troll about, I mean it looks great over all, not to bring up what I've about 343 needing it if they ask just do it. oh and please tell me you told super man you could mod it to kill him, plus if DFT does move to the states we should show up knock on the door a when opens someone's yells everyone duck I'm firing my laser.

So red, when did you invent a machine to take objects it of games? Lol
But seriously, the splaser looks fantastic, I'm super happy to see it finished. I'm glad I was here from the beginning. :)

It's beautiful!
Oh, and fox? The H4 EVG has it's length at 47 inches.

Thank you! I appreciate the support.

So red, when did you invent a machine to take objects it of games? Lol
But seriously, the splaser looks fantastic, I'm super happy to see it finished. I'm glad I was here from the beginning. :)

Thanks again Mstruvmgc! You came soooo close to getting to see it in person. I just missed out on a Vegas trip and was going to drag it along.

OK, lots of work going into weaponizing this thing. After it's first outing as a prop at Pensacon, I had a list of 19 repairs, upgrades, and adjustments that needed done to make this a viable airsoft gun and enhance its accuracy as a replica.

1. Stabilizer fit on right side.
2. Shroud Height -- grind fiberglass inside upper receiver
3. Shroud height -- reposition lift point
4. Build new lift rod
5. Fix limit switch
6. Replace/upgrade lift servo
7. Replace/upgrade winder servo
8. Paint BB hopper
9. Fix magnets (Lesson learned: Rare earth magnets don't like heat curing)
10. Adjust master switch
11. Build master safety pin (Weapon is not intrinsically safe when loaded)
12. Touch up Cerakote
13. Touch up olive coating
14. Build attachment for top cover (hot glued in for Pensacon)
15. JB Weld Metal details that came loose in oven
16. Solve feed tube attachment issues
17. Repair detail on left stabilizer
18. Adjust LED rheostat (I added) a push button dimmer for airsofting to reduce the chance for the side lights to give me away)
19. Shrink tube the laser sight (it shorts to ground and fires the master gear box--very bad)

So I've been very busy knocking these out, but still have these left to do:

2. Shroud Height -- grind fiberglass inside upper receiver
16. Solve feed tube attachment issues
18. Adjust LED rheostat (I added) a push button dimmer for airsofting to reduce the chance for the side lights to give me away)
19. Shrink tube the laser sight (it shorts to ground and fires the master gear box--very bad)

So I'm getting very close, but have a couple of solid issues in there to deal with.

Here's some of the work:

AirsoftSpartanLaser10810.jpg

Electronics box ready for paint

AirsoftSpartanLaser10811.jpg

Now beautiful in industrial wrinkle paint

AirsoftSpartanLaser1089.jpg

Getting the hopper and lid ready for paint

AirsoftSpartanLaser10812.jpg

Wrinkle paint is so BA. Just love the rugged look.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1088.jpg

Here's the painted hopper in place. My goal is for the inside to look just as professional as the outside. So many airsoft conversions look cobbled together. True, this too was cobbled together, but with a decent budget and some weird obsession

AirsoftSpartanLaser10813.jpg

I purchased new low-profile high-torque servos with metal gears for both the winder (shown) and the shroud retractor. I had to massively mod them to shoehorn into the lower receiver sideways. Note how the case is cut and the sprocket recessed. I also changed the connector location

AirsoftSpartanLaser1086.jpg

Then trouble struck. I broke one of my modded high-cap mechanisms. This was not the first. I may recut the spindle from brass tubing. I don't really need the thumb wheel part anymore. Unfortunately, this will take a few days to solve I think.

Here's where I broke from canon and added equipment not shown in the game. I decided I needed some kind of shipping lock to transport the loaded Splaser to and from the field to protect the battery from drainage and prevent an accidental discharge while being transported or serviced.

Based on some of the physical lockouts I've seen on Air Force weapons controls, I came up with this sexy beast:

AirsoftSpartanLaser1082.jpg

Fresh paint

AirsoftSpartanLaser1083.jpg

Safety pin bonded in

AirsoftSpartanLaser1084.jpg

Custom water-slide decals for that no-nonsense look

AirsoftSpartanLaser1085.jpg

Fore-grip is locked in place preventing master arm switch from actuating. I think this will look awesome on the assembled Splaser as well. In case of emergency, break seal!

AirsoftSpartanLaser108.jpg

View from below with hinge details.

That's it tonight. Hoping to close it up in a couple of days. I still owe everyone the full day and nigh videos. Mostly, I owe them to myself.

Cheers,
Redshirt

This has been a fantastic build to watch man, great work. Of the additional work that you needed to do, the master lockout mechanism is so simply great. It truly is the small stuff that makes the biggest difference. Again, great job!!

-Matt

Ohh man Red!! You really did it brother my mom passed away in January haven't been around I'm loving it *picks up jaw and eyeballs reconstruction is eminent commencing most awesome thing I've ever seen on this forum brother don't care if it's a necropost! !:cool

This has been a fantastic build to watch man, great work. Of the additional work that you needed to do, the master lockout mechanism is so simply great. It truly is the small stuff that makes the biggest difference. Again, great job!!

-Matt

Thanks McShane! I appreciate the comments. I've been slaving away on the final issues with the airsoft and lift mechanisms. As usual, I'd hoped to be done by the weekend, but life happened. I got to replace a valve cover gasket and spark plugs on Mrs. Redshirt's car instead! I think that lock will display really well on the reassembled Splaser. We'll see in a day or so. I've also reworked the detail paint and weathering.

Ohh man Red!! You really did it brother my mom passed away in January haven't been around I'm loving it *picks up jaw and eyeballs reconstruction is eminent commencing most awesome thing I've ever seen on this forum brother don't care if it's a necropost! !:cool

Rysjin,
Welcome back. I'd wondered where you'd gone. I'm very sorry to hear about your mother. That's a tough deal. You aren't necroposting here. This build is quite active, just very slow. I think a lot of followers lost patience with it taking forever. The payoff is very soon though! Thank you for the compliments on the build!

Like I said, lots of work going on. I'll be back with the pics!

Redshirt

This thing has been seriously kicking my butt. I had planned to take it airsofting this past weekend, but no dice. I won't show it until it's ready.

It's like a hydra trying to get the bugs worked out. Each rework seems to expose more headaches--binding linkages and pinched wires each time I put it together for the 'final' assembly.

I've worked on the dang thing nearly every day since the last post and think I'm almost there. I've dreamed big, so I'm not surprised to have big teething troubles.

The end goal is to have the most realistically constructed Spartan Laser with the best animation and a functioning airsoft that isn't too glitchy and unreliable to take out skirmishing. I hope I've met the first. The animation is very close--just a broken servo arm away. The reliable airsoft weapon has been the bugbear. I think I'm one shorted wire away from total victory.

The Splaser firing without provocation in the kitchen while being handled has kept me from loading BBs into it and has Mrs Redshirt and the mini-me Redshirt irritated by all the racket.

Couldn't bring myself to work on it tonight after getting back from a long day, so I decided to post the update.

I'm not all Debbie Downer. There are quite a few checked boxes of problems solved and the photos to prove it.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1092.jpg

This is the complete weapon minus any of the cosmetic pieces. At the rear is the BB hopper with the feeders inside on the bottom right. The hopper is white inside because I have pre-charger LEDs inside to 'warm up' the glow BBs for night fights. The black box forward of the hopper is the electronics package looking resplendent in wrinkle paint. The cage with the three gear boxes is in the center with the BB chambers on the front of those. You can see the BB feed tubes supplying the chambers from the hopper. The brass barrels are blackened just at the tips. The LED tail light at the front blids opponents and backlights the flying BBs for more laser effect. Every component is painted because it wouldn't do for the exterior to be super pro-job and have the inside look amateur hour

AirsoftSpartanLaser1094.jpg

Here's a closeup of the gear box cage, feed tubes and the electronics module. The red button on top dims the side marker LEDs for night fighting.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1093.jpg

The hopper and electronics module. Still tidying up the wires.

AirsoftSpartanLaser1095.jpg

The barrel installation. Hidden on the far side of the LED taillight is the sighting laser--very bright. The sighting laser is the sole means of aiming this weapon as there are no iron sights. The lack of computerized HUD-linked sight goes without saying, although a couple of people on this site have made inroads!

AirsoftSpartanLaser109.jpg

Close up of some of my metal work. The ceramic firearm coating is so awesome that a lot of my weathering silver rubbed off at Pensacon. The coating is like Teflon in its resistance to having anything stick to it.

Hope to have it bolted together and have real progress by the end of the weekend. Thanks to everyone that's still following.

Redshirt

Awww man that would have been so cool to see in person. But oh well, maybe next time :)
Wow red still so much stuff to do lol.

Awww man that would have been so cool to see in person. But oh well, maybe next time :)
Wow red still so much stuff to do lol.

Would have been cool. I do have a lot to do. I took it out this morning to sight it in, but my feeder mechanism didn't work. I had high hopes for the improvements I'd made, but they obviously need more tweaking. The most frustrating part is that things I had that sort of worked no longer work now that I've 'fixed' them. Other than the lift and the feeder, I think I have it sorted.

Redshirt

Looking great as always Red. :D

Thanks a lot. Your project has lots of traction lately too. I'd love to see my Splaser with your finished CQB or Carpathia's suit. My cardboard suit is great for having built it on a deployment using stone knives and bear skins, but the Splaser outshines it up close and deserves the company of an excellent suit.

So cool!!!! It looks FANTASTIC!!!!!

Thank you. And thanks for watching. I've had some late-to-the-game setbacks, but I'm really stoked to see it finished!

Speaking of which, I whined this morning about the improved feeder not feeding at all. It will do that if you wire up the servo BACKWARDS to make it un-feed BBs from the tubes. Dumb rookie mistake. I fixed it tonight, loaded some tracer BBs and stepped into the back yard. Fired on all three systems first try! It was 10 pm so I couldn't repeat it without raising the ire of the neighbors. Without the hop ups set, the BBs went fairly wild, but I'll wrestle them into a coherent stream tomorrow. Looked like an AC-130 firing it's minigun at night! I also ordered up another retract servo for the shroud, so it'll be a week before I can get full function in the prop to call it done.

Cheers,
Redshirt

Thanks a lot. Your project has lots of traction lately too. I'd love to see my Splaser with your finished CQB or Carpathia's suit. My cardboard suit is great for having built it on a deployment using stone knives and bear skins, but the Splaser outshines it up close and deserves the company of an excellent suit.

I really appreciate that. I'd absolutely love to do a photo shoot with your Splaser! I wish you were able to make it DragonCon this year. That would be a prime opportunity. :D

Man hard to believe its almost done! Its one of the most beautiful builds Ive ever seen! What will you do once its over?

I really appreciate that. I'd absolutely love to do a photo shoot with your Splaser! I wish you were able to make it DragonCon this year. That would be a prime opportunity. :D

Now you have me thinking. Atlanta is not that far away, but the timing is not good.

Man hard to believe its almost done! Its one of the most beautiful builds Ive ever seen! What will you do once its over?

Thank you very much. I have a Jaguar XKE engine rebuild (page 30) that's well overdue for getting finished. In the near term I'll do a quick H3 Frag Grenade build as a BB carrier for the Splaser. I also have a Tactonyx M6 I'd like to do an airsoft conversion on. I'm also tagged to help with a Starcraft Ghost costume build.

Redshirt

Would have been cool. I do have a lot to do. I took it out this morning to sight it in, but my feeder mechanism didn't work. I had high hopes for the improvements I'd made, but they obviously need more tweaking. The most frustrating part is that things I had that sort of worked no longer work now that I've 'fixed' them. Other than the lift and the feeder, I think I have it sorted.

Redshirt

Well im sure you will figure it out no sweat :)
You have done such a great job with this build. It has truely been a pleasure to watch from the beginning. Cant wait to catch those videos when you do them either so i can show my friends.

Problems and Solutions

Well im sure you will figure it out no sweat :)
You have done such a great job with this build. It has truely been a pleasure to watch from the beginning. Cant wait to catch those videos when you do them either so i can show my friends.

Thanks! Still plugging away toward that goal!

So last update everything looked normal, but the BBs weren't feeding. Turns out that my little screw up of turning my winder backwards did some major damage to all three feed mechanisms. Take a look:

AirsoftSpartanLaser110.jpg

All three springs had a short section turned into a bird's nest. This was keeping the cogs from correctly engaging and driving the feeders. It took most of this evening to sort out, but in the end I made a couple of other tweaks and all three are smoother at picking up BBs than ever! The wins haven't come often over the past couple of weeks, but you have to take what you can get.

Tomorrow I'll sort out a finicky chamber and an over zealous hop-up mechanism to get all the shooting components up to full function. My replacement lift servo comes tomorrow, but I don't know if I'll see my servo controllers will before the weekend.

I'm really looking forward to getting it back together because I've significantly improved the paint work on the green components, but haven't seen them together yet.

Redshirt

I have followed this project for a while and to come this far and still not be shooting like you wishe, well I would have thrown the project aginst the wall when I found the bird nest of springs. I admire your patients.

I have followed this project for a while and to come this far and still not be shooting like you wishe, well I would have thrown the project aginst the wall when I found the bird nest of springs. I admire your patients.

The sheer cost has kept me from flinging it against the wall. It is getting there--slowly. I have spit and cursed at it a few times!

Fixed the feeder and got to go see what the beast firing at 100% capacity on all cylinders looks like. Wow! burned through about 800 BBs in a couple of test shots. My feed tube mounts are compressing the Hop-up adjust on two barrels and cause the BBs to arc up no matter how much I dial the Hop-up down. The disassembly tonight will probably take longer than the actual adjustments. I also need a little more adjust on my laser mount. Almost there!

Redshirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back