Status
Not open for further replies.

GMer56

Sr Member
See here! A Mark VI Helmet!

0911001809.jpg

But what is this inside?

0911001832.jpg

No Resin? No Bondo? What could it be...?

It is: (please turn your head 90 degrees counter clockwise)

0911001836.jpg

The initial tests are promising, more to come soon!

So.... what your using is called great stuff?
Well, I guess I know why, cuz it's great stuff for hardening helmets :D

Correct. This stuff is cheaper and less harmful than Resin (just as hard to get off your skin though). The only problem is the fact that it dissolves under acidic substances (acetone).

I'm going to make an entire suit of armor like this, hopefully in time for Haloween. Erm... Halloween.

Hate to double post here, but this is rather important:
Dropped from 5ft onto solid concrete: Not a single crack.
I will be putting a layer of great stuff on the outside (mainly on the pepakura seams), then I will attempt sanding it.

...and I can't wait for a picture of this "great stuff" he's using that's not almost completely dark. GMer, what is this stuff? I may try this on a Hayabusa helm at some point...

My dorm room has horrible lighting :O
So far it has turned out pretty well, as everyone knows I dropped it from 5 feet and there was no cracking. But the reason why is that foam is a little flexible, so the codpiece might work out pretty well. That is if I can sand the foam, and it survives spray-paint.
BTW, anyone know of a member who wore their armor to the Reach release in Nashua (NH)? My roommate saw someone dressed as 6 (I think) there. (I didn't go, bad me! But I had class 7:30 the next morning ^^ )

(Off topic: I found an Ipod nano in the middle of a road, just bought a new screen, just need to wait for it to arrive. So many things to do, so little time...)

Is this stuff strong? as in fiberglass equivelent or more like resin/foam?
I never used fiberglass, so I wouldn't know about that, but as previously stated, I've dropped it from 5 ft onto solid concrete and there is no cracks. I just put my 1300 page (hard cover, 8.5"x11") calculus book on it and the book just slowly slid off. See?

0917001116.jpg

Granted the helmet made some groaning noises, but that was just a piece on the back sliding across the binder (which is there to keep it level).

This weekend I'll be putting a layer of foam on the outside of the helmet and sanding it.

Regrettably - due to the college experience- I have not sanded it yet. Will be getting to it after Halloween or when I finish my Alucard Cosplay. Also I need to put a layer of foam on the outside still :/

So, can you detail the process of applying it to the pepakura?

I'm a little confused there.

What's with the addon to that post man? :p Usually people put that kind of stuff in their signatures.

So, can you detail the process of applying it to the pepakura?

I'm a little confused there.
Spray the foam onto the part (inside first), use a brush or something similar to swish it around to give a nice, even coat. Then do the same to the outside of the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back