SPI questions/Project spartan III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a few questions about clay models and casting out of silicone if its okay. If this is the wrong section i apoligize.

Umm...I'm not sure how to help you with the armor...There was a topic on this with some good ideas and suggestions in this forum somewhere...

BTW, you are in the right forum, though.

-TheBlue

Last edited by a moderator:
well, using silicon for a mold would be good. i recmend the item being molded isnt to ginormous because silicon bends. so keep it smaller

Is there even a good reference for the details on the SPI armor? Not a lot of pics on this suit, therefore tough to recreate.

well my main questions were,

has this been done before.

What type of plastic should i use to get a cast that will fit around a lower arm ( Semi hollow i guess)

And my third question was about the clay model. Will that stick to the rubber mold and what type of rubber would be best to use for that.

Ill have pics of the gauntlet up very soon. still a work in progress though, im out of clay. :hyper: I need more gotta keep working.

UPDATE:

Clay model currentley.
DSCN3015.jpg

DSCN3012.jpg

DSCN3013.jpg

DSCN3011.jpg

Still working. Please comment i want plenty of input.

Nice work! May want to clean it up a bit (smooth the edges, I mean)

So let me get this straight about slushcasting:

You take the clay mold( like the one you got there),

Then you make a silicone mold of the clay,

Then you fill the silicone with Urethane, and Rotocast it like in the vid Adam posted?

If so, Then thats the way I'm going for my 405th armor.

wait, if you pour it in wont it be solid?
How would you make a more U like shape and put your arm in the space of the U? thats my biggest concern right now.

More updates soon. im hard at work and full of game fuel. :hyper:

Close.

The clay original is called a model, not a mold. Molds are the rubber or plaster negatives that are use to make copies.

But essentially, yes this is how moldmaking works for sculpted armor.

To answer the preivious questions though, I think you should go with a brushable resin in order to create a hollow, wearable casting. You don't want to cast solid and hollow it out later... you'd be throwing your monet away in material costs.

Yes It has been done before... this is how scultped armor is made...

The rubber you use to cast this will not stick to the clay, but if you are concerned, you should buy some spray on mold release. Use that stuff and nothin will stick to nothin.

Also what type of clay are you using there? You have to be positively certain that your clay does not contain sulphur. Sulphur inhibits the rubber from curing, so you might end up with a big sticky mess if you just use any ol' clay.

Sean Bradley said:
Close.

The clay original is called a model, not a mold. Molds are the rubber or plaster negatives that are use to make copies.

But essentially, yes this is how moldmaking works for sculpted armor.

To answer the preivious questions though, I think you should go with a brushable resin in order to create a hollow, wearable casting. You don't want to cast solid and hollow it out later... you'd be throwing your monet away in material costs.

Yes It has been done before... this is how scultped armor is made...

The rubber you use to cast this will not stick to the clay, but if you are concerned, you should buy some spray on mold release. Use that stuff and nothin will stick to nothin.

Also what type of clay are you using there? You have to be positively certain that your clay does not contain sulphur. Sulphur inhibits the rubber from curing, so you might end up with a big sticky mess if you just use any ol' clay.

Oh, right, model not mold...hmm...

So what materials are involved in making the models, molds, and casts?

I'm guessing:

Model- Clay (no sulphur, oil-based?)

Mold- Silicone (like Adam's AR mold)

Cast ( Urethane ?)

And all of this is in a ballpark of 1000$, I'm hoping :mrgreen: ?

Yup...

Mold your items in sulphur free oil based clay.

There are many types of mold rubber, not just silicone. Polytek makes polyester based rubbers which are quite nice.

Casting can be done in urethane, Polyester resin...

All of this would potentially be in the ballpark of $1000

Awsome.

So, since the 405th age limit is now 18 (?), it will give me 2 or so years to save up and make my molded armor.

Check your mail Sean ;-)

Hey!!! Nice work on the SPI. I will have more time to work on mine when i get back from my trip. Clay, great idea!!! :Steve:

TheBlue said:
Awsome.

So, since the 405th age limit is now 18 (?), it will give me 2 or so years to save up and make my molded armor.

Check your mail Sean ;-)

Did... done, replied.. :clap:

its oil based clay.

The question i was refering to about whether is was done before was the SPI armor itself not the molds. Im not that dumb. Im almost done with it just need to smooth it out and adjust it a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back