SSG. Spall - My First Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spall

So I'm pretty lucky my boyfriend got me into Halo building so I had a lot of reference to go off as I worked! But this thing took me 2 years, with a LOT of procrastination along the way. I started with pepakura files, sized and printed templates, traced onto EVA Foam bought from Harbor Freight, and then cut out and assembled with the help of the 3D pep file turnaround. Heat gunned, Plastidipped and spraypainted with Hammered Metal Rustoleum and Yellow. Also hand painted and hand-weathered detailed. I come from an art background to weathering is my jam! All hand built in foam by me, except for the Helmet, which is a resin cast that I bought from the incredible Robert Letts and I painted up and weathered. EOD team all the way!

SSG. Spall is an EOD set that is an amalgamation of the best parts from Halo 3, Halo Reach, and Halo Wars. For maximum size and intimidation she utilizes the Halo Wars Mjolnir MK. IV chest, the Halo Reach EOD Helmet, Commando shoulder, and CQC Shoulder, and a Halo 3 base. She has been weathered and painted to show the battle damage inherent in the job of an Explosive Ordinance Technician. She carries the standard issue Ma5 assault rifle and the M6 pistol. And I am in the process of working on a Grenade Launcher as well.

Also in the future, I'd like to work with makup and prosthetics a bit to make my face have scars and burn marks. I'm super interested in special effects in movies and I've gone through a bunch of tutorials to work on my skills in this department for when I go helmet-less. Still a work in progress as I rework, rebuild and grow!

Last edited:
My original concept for the armor (painted in Photoshop). The end result turned out a bit different as I learned more of what I wanted to do with her.
Spartan armor design2.jpg

Last edited:
Killer job on the helmet, I like the color scheme.
Thank you so much! Eventually I'd love to get an airbrush so I can airbrush in details instead of hand painting them in because you can definitely see the brush strokes :p

Thank you so much! Eventually I'd love to get an airbrush so I can airbrush in details instead of hand painting them in because you can definitely see the brush strokes :p
Yeah with the airbrush you can even highlight and shade the soft parts like the undersuit, they come in handy. For my first one I got a cheapo at harbor freight and took my son with me to buy the compressor so I could use a coupon on both. Spent less than 45 bucks. Anyway great job.

Yeah with the airbrush you can even highlight and shade the soft parts like the undersuit, they come in handy. For my first one I got a cheapo at harbor freight and took my son with me to buy the compressor so I could use a coupon on both. Spent less than 45 bucks. Anyway great job.
Dude that's an awesome idea!! I don't have much in the way of my undersuit either. I just use yoga pants and a sweat-wicking long sleeve shirt so it would be really cool to get a more defined undersuit! That will be next on my list for sure. Can you make airbrush paint on an undersuit washable?

Dude that's an awesome idea!! I don't have much in the way of my undersuit either. I just use yoga pants and a sweat-wicking long sleeve shirt so it would be really cool to get a more defined undersuit! That will be next on my list for sure. Can you make airbrush paint on an undersuit washable?
If I'm not mistaken you have to wash it inside out and in cold water but totally washable.

Awesome build, glad I was along the way to watch it come together slowly but surely! I'm in the process of rebuilding mine just to be able to look as good as you! We make a good team!
We sure do! I admit I sorta use you as my guinea pig for a lot of the new armor so I can follow along with you lol. You're the master builder and I'm mainly good at painting :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back